Rev

Tommy Tallarico’s: Mean message boards (Amico)

Any smart shopper that's smart will go with Nintendo. They have a track record decades long. It would be utter foolishness to let the presence or absence of 1 pack-in game make the choice for you.

If you're that hard-up for cash, you shouldn't be splurging on game consoles anyways.

• Like 1

I don't know why people keep putting up wishlists as if they have some say in how a product will be produced :) You'll get it when you it comes out and it will come with whatever Intellivision decides to put on it. Best part, you don't have to buy it if you don't like it !

• Like 1

Any smart shopper that's smart will go with Nintendo. They have a track record decades long. It would be utter foolishness to let the presence or absence of 1 pack-in game make the choice for you.

If you're that hard-up for cash, you shouldn't be splurging on game consoles anyways.

Cost of games is a legitimate issue not just the cost of the console. Still, regardless of the price, Intellivision Entertainment will have to come up with quality games that will make themselves stand out.

Edit:

The point about a new company vs an established company is fair.

Edited by mr_me

Cost of games is a legitimate issue not just the cost of the console. Still, regardless of the price, Intellivision Entertainment will have to come up with quality games that will make themselves stand out.

Yep. If the games aren't good, word will spread fast and be really damaging to the chances of success. Hell, even great games won't guarantee success, but at least it can help establish mindshare.

• Like 1

That's cool'n all, but the truth is he's shooting the haters fish in a barrel. I don't know what "hardcore message board" they picked those lame comments from but they seem to me more of a reddit or /v/ standard teenage fare variety, fairly easy to deal with.

I look forward to a Part 2, where he answers more serious/difficult questions about this system.

I've been answering tons of serious questions about it for over 6 months. Check out the hours and hours of interviews I've done on YouTube. And please let me know if you have any questions. I just started a Q&A thread... please ask and I'll answer. Thanks!

That was pretty funny. While things were not nearly as inflammatory, a lot of the same issues were brought up in the Amico thread here on AA so I like Tommy's replies on some of these. I really don't get how anyone thinks this is crowdsourced though. They've only said about 100 times that there is no crowd funding of any kind involved. Do people just not listen or have any sort of reading comprehension anymore?

I think a lot of the online haters just don't really pay that much attention. Their immediate response is to dislike anything new... especially when it's a new console. :)

That's cool. I get it. Doesn't get us down at all... only fuels our fire even more. :)

• Like 3

See this is the type of things that makes me want this to succeed. If the Atacobox could do this I might have more respect for them.

Thanks! My approach is always to be as open as possible whenever I can.

Would be super cool if Atari did something similar. I'd personally love to see that as well.

Edited by Tommy Tallarico

Actually I think I recognize some snippets of those messages from the Sega-16 forums. The Amico isn't being looked at in a very good light over there. But I was forgiving them for their bias being a Sega branded site and forums after all.

I wonder how they'll feel if we announce some exclusive Sega titles for the new system? Hmmm?? Wouldn't that be cool. ;)

• Like 2

Yeah... that one really cracked me up. Literally the WORST researched and written article so far on the Amico. The author literally lied about information and did ZERO research on the misinformation. Any so called "journalist" (yeah right!) who continues using "jerking off" references clearly shows their lack of real writer ability. I'm guessing we won't be seeing him win any Pulitzers anytime soon. :)

I actually sent him and all the folks who run that website an e-mail asking to be interviewed by the writer of that article. I wanted to engage head-on an answer his ridiculous remarks and untrue information. They never even had the decency to write me back.

That's okay... I made sure to blacklist their website from any potential marketing dollars now or in the future.

Looking forward to proving everything in their article wrong. :)

• Like 2

I agree with most of that article.

There's being "mean" and then there's legitimate criticism. Just because somebody criticizes your product doesn't make them "mean" - maybe they even make some good points that you might (as the product's creator) want to listen to.

I get the feeling that Tallarico is one of those guys who's got such blinders on about his product that he can't see the forest for the trees. He has fallen in love with his idea. That's dangerous in any industry.

Please tell me what "parts" of that article you agree with. I'm interested in knowing considering how much wrong information was given.

The term "mean" is obviously meant tongue & cheek. I'm sure 99% of the population understood that. If I was being literal I would have called the segment UNINFORMED MESSAGE BOARDS.

You are absolutely correct that there is a difference between "criticism" and being mean. But all of the messages I read were NOT based around criticism. Just curious... did you watch the video? Everything was based around immature and wrong information about the system by people who were specifically and purposely trying to be mean. They were not giving constructive criticism. To defend those comments and folks is kinda funny.

The entire thing was meant to be funny and entertaining... you are treating it like we're pissed off or something and that we can't take criticism. Really? That's what you got from our video? Wow. :)

And finally.... blinders about the product?? You honestly have no idea what you're talking about or the way in which we incorporate feedback into everything we do. Shame on you for assuming something for which you know nothing about. I think you're just trying to be mean. (p.s. that is a joke).

:)

Look, guys? This thing is never coming out. They'd be better off making those controllers for PC and an emulator for classic Intellivision games that put the right overlays on the touchscreen. There are a thousand such Ouya-alikes. The only thing this will have going for it is _the controller_.

We can build our own damn Pi box to go with it, we need that controller and a proper emulator. Money dumped into modernizing Inty games is wasted money as of right now.

Looking forward to proving you wrong.

:)

• Like 2

To me, the following excerpt from that article is evidence of the tone-deaf attitude of some critics, which suggests that Tallarico is on to something:

There are millions of young parents who are actually not fond of violent video games and do not want their young kids playing them. That's the demographic that Tallarico seems to be aiming for, which according to him, everybody else is ignoring.

Whether that demographic is large enough and interested enough to adopt the console and help it succeed, is a big question at the moment. However, just denying its existence completely, seems to me very short-sighted and wrong-headed.

-dZ.

Yeah... that comment was really hilarious and clearly proves that the writer is not old enough to be a parent... or if they are... CLEARLY does not have kids.

To think that modern parents are okay with their kids playing violent video games shows the complete lack of knowledge and reality that the writer is living in.

A shame they didn't answer my request to be interviewed by the writer. Would have loved to taken out all of his assumptions with actual industry facts and numbers. :)

• Like 1

I admire anyone's passions for keeping our classic brands and games alive. I hope this one and others are well-executed and give us some new ways to love our favorite classic brands.

Thanks Blaine! I won't let you down.

I do find it funny when people who are supposed to be passionate about retro gaming get so easily "riled up" and negative about a new system.

Geez... yeah... aren't I awful for wanting to bring families together to play games again. Someone throw me in jail!! :)

• Like 2

If so, Switch will be cheaper, and will still have hundreds of games. No matter what happens, it will be hard to catch Nintendo.

Something important to note however is that casual gamers are not buying the Switch. Nintendo captured the casual market with the Wii. The same people who purchased the Wii are not purchasing the Switch (just like they didn't purchase the Wii U). Most of the non-gaming/casual Wii folks have moved over to mobile. But mobile is a very "solitary" device with crappy controls, tons of ads or wanting your e-mail/credit card and ZERO curation or quality control.

We are offering something very different than the Switch. We are picking up where the Wii left off over 13 years ago... but with modern sensibilities, modern technology and focusing on ALL gamers as opposed to only Nintendo fanboys & girls. Nintendo knows their target audience very well. But they aren't in the business of catering to casual and non-gamers. They will tell you that themselves.

We've done a LOT of serious and in-depth market research. We are looking forward to unveiling the full machine. All the info that is currently out there is only scratching the surface. More to come soon! :)

• Like 1

Whether or not Intellivision Entertainment says it, both the Nintendo DS and Switch will be competitors. Do either come with a free game. Smart shoppers will compare the cost of games. Nintendo markets to the family friendly audience as well. There might be room for a second player in that market.

Do they? How many families are playing 4 player Smash Bros? Even Mario Kart has become a little too complex on the Switch for non-gamers. Nursing homes bought the Wii. Non gamers bought the Wii. Those same folks are not buying the Switch. The numbers and data prove that. The BIGGEST segment of the video game industry is mobile. And mobile has very few games that families can play TOGETHER.

Our focus is couch co-op, local multi-player. That is not Nintendo's focus. It may be a subset... but I'm not sure how many homes are buying 4 controllers so they can all play Smash Bros.

I'm not trying to say Nintendo is doing anything wrong. I personally LOVE the company. I just don't think their main mission with the Switch is to bring families together... and the numbers and data clearly show that.

• Like 1

Yep. If the games aren't good, word will spread fast and be really damaging to the chances of success. Hell, even great games won't guarantee success, but at least it can help establish mindshare.

I absolutely 100% agree with this statement. If the games aren't good... then it doesn't matter how great the console is. It's all about the games!

And that's exactly why people should reserve judgement until they actually played them. I don't think that is asking for too much.

If folks remember... the Wii was BLASTED when it was first announced and shown... yet it went on to be the 3rd biggest home console in the history of the industry. Over 102 million units sold and 13 years later... families are still playing it as it's one of their only options to have real multi-player simple fun.

I absolutely 100% agree with this statement. If the games aren't good... then it doesn't matter how great the console is. It's all about the games!

And that's exactly why people should reserve judgement until they actually played them. I don't think that is asking for too much.

If folks remember... the Wii was BLASTED when it was first announced and shown... yet it went on to be the 3rd biggest home console in the history of the industry. Over 102 million units sold and 13 years later... families are still playing it as it's one of their only options to have real multi-player simple fun.

I agree with Tommy on this. Just last weekend 4 of my granddaughters (ages 12 to 15) came to my house for a sleep over and Wii fest. Hours and hours of family fun. I can't wait for them to show up to play Intellivsion family fun night.

• Like 4

I agree: great games on a weak system are a lot better than weak games on a great system. It's all about the gameplay, or none of us would be playing games from the 1970s.

• Like 3

I agree with Tommy on this. Just last weekend 4 of my granddaughters (ages 12 to 15) came to my house for a sleep over and Wii fest. Hours and hours of family fun. I can't wait for them to show up to play Intellivsion family fun night.

Thanks! The research shows that this is the case for a lot of folks around the world. Looking forward to you playing Amico with your kids & grandkids and helping to introduce them to a brand we all cherish, love and grew up on ourselves! :)

Something important to note however is that casual gamers are not buying the Switch. Nintendo captured the casual market with the Wii. The same people who purchased the Wii are not purchasing the Switch (just like they didn't purchase the Wii U). Most of the non-gaming/casual Wii folks have moved over to mobile. But mobile is a very "solitary" device with crappy controls, tons of ads or wanting your e-mail/credit card and ZERO curation or quality control.

We are offering something very different than the Switch. We are picking up where the Wii left off over 13 years ago... but with modern sensibilities, modern technology and focusing on ALL gamers as opposed to only Nintendo fanboys & girls. Nintendo knows their target audience very well. But they aren't in the business of catering to casual and non-gamers. They will tell you that themselves.

We've done a LOT of serious and in-depth market research. We are looking forward to unveiling the full machine. All the info that is currently out there is only scratching the surface. More to come soon! :)

I don't think you have to piss on mobile to differentiate yourself. The iOS App Store has come a long way lately with curation; their features are generally better than anything that the "gaming press" can put together, and there's more variety out there than these lazy stereotypes would suggest. I would love to see Amico play in a similar kind of space as Jackbox Games which is full of single-screen party games where you use your smartphone as a controller. Many of them have a family friendly mode to cut down the number of poop and penis jokes. But they're still there for families like mine.

Wii did really well at selling hardware for Nintendo, but did third parties make money on it? There were hundreds of cash-in shovelware discs for it, but it seems to me the vast majority of players were on Mario Kart and Wii Sports.

Anyway, it's neat to see you out here answering questions and keeping the enthusiasm high. I hope folks don't take this too seriously and use any of this against you if some aspects are changed along the way a la No Man's Sky or Crackdown 3.

I don't think you have to piss on mobile to differentiate yourself.

Wii did really well at selling hardware for Nintendo, but did third parties make money on it? There were hundreds of cash-in shovelware discs for it, but it seems to me the vast majority of players were on Mario Kart and Wii Sports.

I don't feel I "pissed" on mobile at all. I merely pointed out the facts and weaknesses and why we are going to be different in the casual space. Understand that one of the first things people say to me is that "casual" & simple games are already being done on mobile so the Amico is screwed because mobile is already doing it. But like I said... the reality is that curation sucks (more Androids in the world than iPhones so IOS app store is not the majority of the market), the controls for most games suck (try playing Pac-Man and/or most shooters)... great for Match 3 games or rolling a ball in a hole... but very limited in terms of most video games. Giving your data (e-mail, Facebook friends, credit card) is to a point of being ridiculous (do you know anyone who enjoys doing that?).... and by the way... if you DON'T give them one of those 3 things... then you're going to get a 30 second ad every 3 minutes. Fun. :)

But the single biggest differentiator (again... not pissing on mobile... just pointing to things that make us different for casual) is that for the most part it is solitary gaming. You mentioned Jackbox... that is EXACTLY the types of multi-player experiences we are creating... but in a LOT of different and unique ways.

My point regarding Nintendo is exactly what you mentioned. The answer is NO. 3rd party publishers didn't really make quality games or money off the system. Too much casual "shovelware" and once again... not really curated. What ever happened to that Nintendo Seal of Quality? Not sure why QUANTITY has become so important in the video game industry. I'd prefer 10 AMAZING games over 1000 mediocre ones. :)

• Like 6

Like in the old days I wish a lot of the hype and talk and media noise would be toned down a bit. Kids of the 70's would never stand for this amount of Q&A or pre-announcement discussion. We fully expected to read about something, and then see it on the store shelves a month or two later. A full season was the most delay we'd tolerate before declaring Vaporware.

Manufacturers would simply (for real) deliver a product to the shelf and we'd be happy and buy it. Going to the store and actually discovering new consoles & cartridges was a genuine adventure. One that planted the seeds of the nostalgia and good times we remember today.

Ohh we may have seen an advertisement or two on television or in print magazines, but, you know, it sparked the imagination just enough that we'd talk about it during school recess or while riding BMX. Today everything is already discussed for you. Thus making you, the consumer, a non-interactive bystander wondering whether or not it will live up to hype and expectations. Doing nothing to encourage individual imagination.

Today the internet dampens all the discovery and exploration and the building of good times with family and the young ones. It eliminates perusing and browsing through catalogs and magazines. It removes anticipation and makes everyone feel and act the same way. It does the discovery for you.

---

But, hey! If an Intellivision console can show up in my local department store with surprises for me, I'm all for it!

• Like 1

But, hey! If an Intellivision console can show up in my local department store with surprises for me, I'm all for it!

It will. :)

I'd like to add that the reason announcements are made in modern times is because the "business" of gaming and development has changed drastically. It's absolutely important to show "buzz" whether it's for investors or letting developers know there is a system coming that they will be interested in.

I think a certain amount of social media hype is to be expected now that the 1970s are nearly 50 years in the past. ;)

Curation good! Curation is no substitute for content -- quality AND quantity is good. :D