Rev

Tommy Tallarico’s: Mean message boards (Amico)

Do they? How many families are playing 4 player Smash Bros? Even Mario Kart has become a little too complex on the Switch for non-gamers. Nursing homes bought the Wii. Non gamers bought the Wii. Those same folks are not buying the Switch. The numbers and data prove that. The BIGGEST segment of the video game industry is mobile. And mobile has very few games that families can play TOGETHER.

Our focus is couch co-op, local multi-player. That is not Nintendo's focus. It may be a subset... but I'm not sure how many homes are buying 4 controllers so they can all play Smash Bros.

I'm not trying to say Nintendo is doing anything wrong. I personally LOVE the company. I just don't think their main mission with the Switch is to bring families together... and the numbers and data clearly show that.

Nintendo must be doing something wrong. They have lots of marketing about local multiplayer; tv commercials with kids playing with their parents, with their grandparents, parties, couples. Yet, their sales aren't reflecting that. The controllers are there out of the box for simple, local, two-player play. Even as a mobile device, the switch is promoted for local multi-player. Is it me, or is their recent marketing focus more and more on family, multi-player play. Yet, it's not working.

Nintendo must be doing something wrong. They have lots of marketing about local multiplayer; tv commercials with kids playing with their parents, with their grandparents, parties, couples. Yet, their sales aren't reflecting that. The controllers are there out of the box for simple, local, two-player play. Even as a mobile device, the switch is promoted for local multi-player. Is it me, or is their recent marketing focus more and more on family, multi-player play. Yet, it's not working.

The pro controller is $70, and a set of joycons is $80. Have I cracked the code?

Switch was apparently the best selling console of 2018 in US. I'm not sure if this is Nintendo's strategy "not working".

The Wii was a unique proposition and a runaway hit because of the motion sensor gameplay. This is what got all the non-gamers and their dog (sometimes literally) into it. You could wave your arms at the telly, dance, exercise and so on and it was a cool novelty. The novelty wore off, Wii U flopped as hard as possible (anybody remembers Kinect?). Now they came back with Switch and kudos for being original again, but there is no way they will replicate the Wii craze.

The "whole family" playing together angle is overrated in my opinion, it's something we only see in adverts, not in real life. Sure, you can get dad and son, brother and sis and or some other combos, but my mom or uncle is simply not interested in Mario Kart - or any other game - no matter how accesible it may be. And it's not just her but countless other people. It's just how it is. Not everybody is a gamer, even a casual one.

If you want to make a play with Amico for the family/couch op crowd (and how big is this crowd is a question) and beat Big N in their own game, then all the best, but I do not see it happening. It's not "hating", it's simply a realistic outlook.

The fact that that market slice is already contested is just one issue, there are others eg: how are you going to get enough quality exclusives for an unknown machine with no user base?

I'm sure Tommy and his research team have asked parents of young children whether they would buy a console like Amico. That's the key demographic here. And as a parent of a 9 yo, I would seriously consider buying the Amico for my family. And I would have felt even stronger when my kid was five.

Over Xmas, we visited my wife's cousin and his family. They are affluent with all the latest gadgets in their home. Their daughter, who is around 12, went out and bought a Wii with some of her Xmas money. The family had had a Wii but got rid of it when it aged out, I guess. But the kids still liked it and weren't interested in the games where you're pretending to kill someone online. The game she wanted wasn't a Mario title but a Little League World Series title. She and her brother had a lot of fun playing it.

I don't know how representative that story is, but Tommy's right that the Wii is still the only platform with a lot of family games. I started playing mine again when my kid was four or five because there's nothing like it on the PS3/360 (didn't get a PS4 until last year). If you want to play games with your family, the Wii is where you go, even today. I think the Miis had a lot to do with the Wii being fun to play with your family. For everyone, especially kids, it's just amusing to see your face and your family's faces in the games.

It's the system itself and the way it was created. So although their marketing may be family oriented (which it has been for a long time and they are smart to do that)... the reality is that the controllers are NOT non-gamer friendly and the most popular flagship software (Smash Bros, Zelda, etc.) is also not casual or non-gamer friendly. Wii Sports WAS. Tens of millions of non-gamers purchased the system because of bowling. Which was merely a tech demo and subset of the Wii Sports pack-in. A huge majority of those folks never bought a game for the system. They paid $249 just to go bowling. Imagine if someone actually catered to that audience and not only had bowling... but shuffleboard and card games, and board games and TV game shows, etc. As well as Classic games for retro folks like us, Sports games (#1 selling game in the world is still FIFA) and a bunch of brand new IP's that utilize a very simple and unique controller that everyone can understand.

We feel we have a very compelling story to tell and one that resonates greatly with a lot of people around the world. The numbers and market research shows this. Which is why we don't need to rely on crowd-funding for the console. When you see the numbers... it's clear to any investor that there is a huge gap in family gaming.

• Like 2

Tommy, can I ask if the classic woodgrain and gold special edition of the Amico will be available in the UK?

Please ignore my previous question. I asked it on the wrong thread.

No worries! Answered in the other thread you posted it in. :)

The pro controller is $70, and a set of joycons is $80. Have I cracked the code?

WAIT A MINUTE!!! You said you are ignoring Intellivision until 2020. Your banishment of us in your life only lasted about 8 hours! :)

I'm just messing with ya (although you did say that... but I'm happy you are still engaging). :)

I also think you are definitely correct! A 4 player game for the Switch is going to cost another $100 easy if you include the software. And now that Nintendo has opened the Switch floodgates (instead of closely curating... whatever happened to that Nintendo Seal of Quality from the 80's?) it's going to be harder for families to figure out which games are actually good. And the GOOD 1st party family games are $60 a pop.

Again I must always stress (so that no one tries to take me out of context) that I adore Nintendo and everything they have brought to the industry over the years. In no way should any of my words be taken as to put them down in any negative way, shape or form. I'm merely stating why we feel our approach will separate us from such a strong and successful company like Nintendo.

Switch was apparently the best selling console of 2018 in US. I'm not sure if this is Nintendo's strategy "not working".

The Wii was a unique proposition and a runaway hit because of the motion sensor gameplay. This is what got all the non-gamers and their dog (sometimes literally) into it. You could wave your arms at the telly, dance, exercise and so on and it was a cool novelty. The novelty wore off, Wii U flopped as hard as possible (anybody remembers Kinect?). Now they came back with Switch and kudos for being original again, but there is no way they will replicate the Wii craze.

The "whole family" playing together angle is overrated in my opinion, it's something we only see in adverts, not in real life. Sure, you can get dad and son, brother and sis and or some other combos, but my mom or uncle is simply not interested in Mario Kart - or any other game - no matter how accesible it may be. And it's not just her but countless other people. It's just how it is. Not everybody is a gamer, even a casual one.

If you want to make a play with Amico for the family/couch op crowd (and how big is this crowd is a question) and beat Big N in their own game, then all the best, but I do not see it happening. It's not "hating", it's simply a realistic outlook.

The fact that that market slice is already contested is just one issue, there are others eg: how are you going to get enough quality exclusives for an unknown machine with no user base?

Although they were the best selling console of 2018... it needs to be put in context. Playstation & XBOX are in their 5th year as a console... history strongly shows that by year 5... those types of high-end consoles start to have a huge fall off. So beating PS & XBOX in their "year 5" doesn't mean Switch is going to win this round of "console wars" (not that you were implying that... just wanted to state the 5 year fact).

The other thing is that when you look at the demographics of who is PLAYING the Switch... it is VERY different from the Wii demographics. So although they had a good year (after a very slow start) the data shows that the Switch will NOT be selling anywhere near the numbers (102 million) that the Wii did. It's just a different machine.

You are absolutely correct when you say that you doubt Nintendo's strategy isn't working. They are huge, they are successful and they KNOW their target audience. It's their bread & butter. The kids who grew up in the late 80's & early 90's. They know what those folks like and they know how to deliver it in a very successful way. Pokemon surpassed Star Wars as the #1 IP on the planet a few years ago! I know that is tough for us GEN X'ers to hear (or understand!)... but it's true. Nintendo does Nintendo well! But they don't do "casual" well. Look how long it took them to get into the mobile market. There is a reason for that. Why? Because it's not their main focus. And neither were nursing homes when they launched the Wii... but they "caught lightning in a bottle" as they themselves have said and captured a market they didn't initially intend to capture.

You mentioned that the whole family playing together is over-rated in your opinion and I'm sure your own experiences have led you to believe that... which is totally fine and understandable. But the numbers and data actually say something completely different. Just look at the massive explosion in board gaming over the past 5 years. It's also the NUMBER ONE category on Kickstarter! #1!!?!? And why you may ask? Because families can't play video games together anymore like they did with the Wii. You said that family gaming is over-rated... but that is the exact reason why the Wii succeeded. The only place for casual gamers to play in on mobile now. Lets be honest. No matter how many "casual" games the Switch or XBOX or PS4 have... no one is buying it for that. With all due respect, to say that family gaming doesn't happen is real life is definitely not an accurate statement. And to use Mario Kart as an example of why your Mom doesn't play is also EXACTLY my point. You, as a gamer feel that Mario Kart is a casual and simple game that everyone can get into. Absolutely NOT the case anymore. Does your mom like tv gameshows? Wheel of Fortune? Jeapordy? Does she play any type of card games or board games? Does she like bowling, shuffleboard? How about puzzle games, board games, dice games like Yahtzee? Now ask yourself... how often does Nintendo 1st party push those types of games? Your Mario Kart reference exactly proves my point. She's not playing because of the content and the way the controllers are laid out... not because she doesn't want to.

You also mentioned that "not everyone is a gamer... even a casual one". Once again the data and numbers prove that wrong. In fact there are more people in the world who play video games then don't. The numbers are staggering and growing every single year.

I totally respect your point of view and don't feel you are "hating" on Amico at all. You have a point of view and we have one that is different which we feel is backed up by data and the extensive market research we have been doing over the past 3 years. You say our market slice is already "segmented". But that is the exact OPPOSITE of the reality. PS4, XBOX, Nintendo, PC gaming... THOSE markets are the segmented ones... and they have been losing 1% market share for the past 10 years. Mobile/Casual now represents over 54% of the entire video game industry. Console next at about 25% followed by PC. :)

In regards to quality exclusives... we also have that wrapped up as well because EVERY title on the system is exclusive and EVERY title on the machine is highly curated. We have hand-picked and signed over 20 incredible talented and seasoned developers... most of whom have made or been involved with the biggest selling games and franchises over the past 40 years. And we'll be signing 20 more by the end of the year. A lot more will be revealed at E3.

Also important to note... that we have only released about half of the details of the console... so I would kindly ask folks to reserve judgement until they get the entire picture over the course of this year. :)

Thanks for engaging and I appreciate your point of view. Respectful discussions are welcomed.

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 2

That was about Nintendo, not Amico

Get off my tits, Tommy Tallarico

Now wait just a minute! The thread clearly has the name AMICO in it! So clearly you were browsing Amico related threads when you said you weren't.

;)

(p.s. just to be 100% clear... I'm only joking and busting your chops. That's what us east coast Italians do best). :)

• Like 1

The Amico controller looks to be just as poor in design as the original INTV controller. Why in the world would you ever repeat such an obvious failing point of the past? The INTV's controllers are infamous for being the weakest part of it's whole design and not exactly a selling point for this new console.

It's like telling the public "Hey! You remember those painstaking INTV controllers of old? That cumbersome non-ergonomic crap that turned you off 30 years ago and was one of the major reasons the INTV wasn't bigger back in the day? Well guess what? You and your family can have that same letdown, I mean experience, all over again! We at Intellivision are committed to repeating the same mistakes and that is a promise! But thats not all! Nope! This time it's gonna have motion controls like your Bowling, I mean, Wii Controller did! Just ask Tommy! He loves the new Amico controller! You remember Tommy right? The pretentious host from the Electric Playground? Ya, Him! INTV AMICO RULES!"

intv.jpg

Controller.jpg?resize=300%2C180&ssl=1

I'm sure Tommy and his research team have asked parents of young children whether they would buy a console like Amico. That's the key demographic here. And as a parent of a 9 yo, I would seriously consider buying the Amico for my family. And I would have felt even stronger when my kid was five. Over Xmas, we visited my wife's cousin and his family. They are affluent with all the latest gadgets in their home. Their daughter, who is around 12, went out and bought a Wii with some of her Xmas money. The family had had a Wii but got rid of it when it aged out, I guess. But the kids still liked it and weren't interested in the games where you're pretending to kill someone online. The game she wanted wasn't a Mario title but a Little League World Series title. She and her brother had a lot of fun playing it. I don't know how representative that story is, but Tommy's right that the Wii is still the only platform with a lot of family games. I started playing mine again when my kid was four or five because there's nothing like it on the PS3/360 (didn't get a PS4 until last year). If you want to play games with your family, the Wii is where you go, even today. I think the Miis had a lot to do with the Wii being fun to play with your family. For everyone, especially kids, it's just amusing to see your face and your family's faces in the games.

You nailed it! Exactly correct (and the data shows that as well). I have been so frustrated over the past 8 or 9 years that the majority of all the video games for home consoles seem to be made for hardcore gamers (which I consider myself to be one)... but it also alienates me from all my family and friends who don't play games. Well, instead of complaining about it, I got together with some of the brightest and important minds in the industry over the past 40 years and decided it's time to do something about it ourselves.

Your comment about the Mii's is also dead on! And when you see what we're doing with the "system" and intro "software" you'll really start to understand just how different our approach is. I can't wait for people to experience Amico for the first time... especially kids!!!! (of which I still consider myself one!) :D

The Amico controller looks to be just as poor in design as the original INTV controller. Why in the world would you ever repeat such an obvious failing point of the past? The INTV's controllers are infamous for being the weakest part of it's whole design and not exactly a selling point for this new console.

Call me a sadist. Come on call me one I dare you!!! But I prefer playing my INTV with original controllers. I just don’t have the hate most people have for that phone dialer:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It's like telling the public "Hey! You remember those painstaking INTV controllers of old? That cumbersome non-ergonomic crap that turned you off 30 years ago and was one of the major reasons the INTV wasn't bigger back in the day? Well guess what? You and your family can have that same letdown, I mean experience, all over again! We at Intellivision are committed to repeating the same mistakes and that is a promise! But thats not all! Nope! This time it's gonna have motion controls like your Bowling, I mean, Wii Controller did! Just ask Tommy! He loves the new Amico controller! You remember Tommy right? The pretentious fool from the Electric Playground? Ya, Him!"

intv.jpg

Controller.jpg?resize=300%2C180&ssl=1

What your post demonstrates to me is that you are not able to remove yourself from your gamer bubble. Which is totally fine and I understand the skepticism and appreciate the opportunity to respond.

A few things.

Ask a casual or non-gamer if they think the PS4, XBOX or Switch controller is fun and easy to use. Go ahead. I'll wait. :)

Ask those same people if they even think a D-PAD is easy to use.

If you think we just had a "hunch" and are spending tens of millions of dollars on "hope"... you are sadly mistaken.

So although it's easy for a modern day gamer to criticize the original Intellivision controller and the new ones... our massive research says the opposite.

Final note... as those images and Reveal Trailer suggested... those are mere sketch mock-ups. The real thing will be revealed in June and has a bunch of things (and design elements) that we have not announced because of patent filing.

But saying that a controller with a touch screen is doomed to fail... pretty much ignores the fact that 55% of the entire video game market plays on a crappy phone touch screen with NO real buttons and no real physical directional input device.

The new Amico controller literally has the best of both words. And when you hold it horizontally... it feels almost exactly like (I think better) than any modern controller.

But hey... I get it... I might be a little biased here. :)

Your last parting line of your argument clearly shows that you don't like me as a person because of a character I played on a TV show 25 years ago. You're mad at me decades later because I gave a game that you liked a different score than you would have given it. I just want you to sit back and reflect on your logic here. Thanks.

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 3

The phone dialer is fine. The disc is weird but OK. The side buttons are from the 9th level of hell.

• Like 1

Call me a sadist. Come on call me one I dare you!!! But I prefer playing my INTV with original controllers. I just don’t have the hate most people have for that phone dialer:)

Most people who actually grew up and PLAYED the Intellivision controller really liked it. People forget that it was the first true direction pad (i.e. what is now referred to as the D-Pad). Atari joysticks were kinda brutal.

I find that the people who say they dislike the Intellivision controller only feel that way because they read it in an article and look at it and compare it to "modern" controllers.

40 years ago it was absolutely revolutionary. And we want to continue the revolution 40 years later with some very delightful surprises. More news coming soon! :)

• Like 2

The phone dialer is fine. The disc is weird but OK. The side buttons are from the 9th level of hell.

If your fingers don’t hurt, you ain’t playing Intellivision. It’s part of the experience :)

• Like 2

TOTALLY agree! I always HATED the side buttons. The ones we have now are really amazing and like no other buttons the industry has ever seen. They do NOT look like our mock-ups. We did that for a reason because of patents. :)

• Like 1

This may be hard for anyone who has played video games from the last thirty years to understand but the problem with those controllers is they are left handed. Most non-gamers expect to use their right hand to control their character. An ambidextrous controller like the amico appears to have will help.

The intellivision disc has always been very comfortable to use and can be more precise than any analog stick. Hopefully the Amico disc has more than sixteen directions. Old Intellivision side buttons might be a little stiff but that's easy to fix.

----------

There seems to be a disconnect between Nintendo marketing and the Switch product managers. I've read that Nintendo has asked switch developers for more mature titles. The Switch success looks to be at the expense of Xbox sales.

I'm really not in a position to say if there is a gap in the market for Amico to fill but it sounds possible.

• Like 3

This may be hard for anyone who has played video games from the last thirty years to understand but the problem with those controllers is they are left handed. Most non-gamers expect to use their right hand to control their character. An ambidextrous controller like the amico appears to have will help.

The intellivision disc has always been very comfortable to use and can be more precise than any analog stick. Hopefully the Amico disc has more than sixteen directions. Old Intellivision side buttons might be a little stiff but that's easy to fix.

----------

There seems to be a disconnect between Nintendo marketing and the Switch product managers. I've read that Nintendo has asked switch developers for more mature titles. The Switch success looks to be at the expense of Xbox sales.

I'm really not in a position to say if there is a gap in the market for Amico to fill but it sounds possible.

Never thought about that. I'm right handed but hold the controller in my left hand.

----------

You are totally correct. Lots of violent games being put on the Switch now. Not exactly family friendly stuff... especially in the world we live in now.

And no worries... the Amico disc will have a LOT more than just 16 directions (if and when needed). :)

Never thought about that. I'm right handed but hold the controller in my left hand.

We have pondered the original Intellivision question for years internally! I'll tell you the weirdest part... EVERYONE does it differently and we can't figure out why!

For example... I'm right handed but I control the disc with my LEFT thumb. About half the righties in the office do the same... but the other half of the office (who are also righties) control the disc with their RIGHT thumb!

And we find the same exact thing for left-handed folks. Some use the left thumb for the disc... and others the right!

But here's what really gonna keep you up at night! :)

For the right-handed folks who can't fathom using your left thumb for the disc.... what side of the controller has the d-pad been on for the past 35 years? Always on the left! It's been natural in gaming since the NES in 1985 that you control the motions of the main character/vehicle with your left thumb!

It's all crazy stuff and we have NO idea why certain folks hold it the way they do.

This is one of the great things about the new controller... you can literally hold it ANY way you want! Up, down, left, right, horizontal, vertical... we've designed it so it feels right for everyone at any time. Can't say that about the PS4 & XBOX controllers (both of which I love... although PS4 is probably my current "released" console favorite). :D

• Like 3