Rev

Tommy Tallarico’s: Mean message boards (Amico)

but the other half of the office (who are also righties) control the disc with their RIGHT thumb!

I'm in this camp. Hold it in my left hand and control with my right thumb ... my girlfriend walked in on me doing it the other day. She freaked out!

• Like 1

The "whole family" playing together angle is overrated in my opinion, it's something we only see in adverts, not in real life. Sure, you can get dad and son, brother and sis and or some other combos, but my mom or uncle is simply not interested in Mario Kart - or any other game - no matter how accesible it may be. And it's not just her but countless other people. It's just how it is. Not everybody is a gamer, even a casual one.

Heh.. And when everyone in the household is a gamer it's hoarder's heaven. Seen it enough times. PLenty of youtube vids about it. And in this day and age, social media is everything.
Edited by Keatah

I realise I'm in the minority with Joe but I've always loved and continue to prefer the original Intellivision controllers. Right now I can play intellivision games on either my PC with a Joystick, my PS2/3 with a PS3 controller, my phone/tablet using the touchscreen or my actual Intellivision and or Flashback using the original controllers.

My scores are always better using the original controllers. I'm sure there are a number of reasons like, that is how I learned to play those particular games originally, the games were designed for those controllers or that simply put, the hundreds of hours I put in using those controllers as a kid has just hardwired my brain into using them.

And again, I agree with Joe. After playing a 5 hour game of Astrosmash my thumb felt like it was in need of surgery but who plays nonstop for 5 hours? Also, if you aren't part of the Numb Thumb Club you aren't a real Intellivision player :D

I think that the original controllers have their flaws but what controller doesn't,especially from that time period. From what I can see, Tommy is taking what was good about the original, improving and embellishing it and discarding the bad.

I for one am glad the controllers are what they are I just hope the final product is not too different than what's been shown so far.

Edited by Bamse
  • Like 3

Back in the day I had no major issues with the Intellivision controller. Though I found it was better for some games more than others. I liked all the options and buttons it had, great for strategy and rpg type games. Not so great for action games.

On the other hand, there were many a times I wanted extra buttons and overlays on my VCS games.

I generally don't like controllers that require two hands to hold, this means x-box and ps4 types. I'm not a fan of D-pad much either, it's there, it's a box with buttons, it works for some games.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I like this Tallarico guy already, wasn't he on some gaming tv show once upon a time? I'm not even a fan of Inty really but will be following this progress. Good on him and following his passion, screw the naysayers.

Edited by atarilovesyou
  • Like 2

I like this Tallarico guy already, wasn't he on some gaming tv show once upon a time? I'm not even a fan of Inty really but will be following this progress. Good on him and following his passion, screw the naysayers.

Here is some of his early game show hosting. Classic.

https://youtu.be/8O-yFlnnhDo

• Like 2

The Electric Playground ! with Vic Lucas who still carries on with the show to this day!

https://www.youtube.com/user/EPNetworkTV/videos

Example of the show back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugTeDgO9HbU

• Like 3

The pro controller is $70, and a set of joycons is $80. Have I cracked the code?

Price is only reason I haven't bought one. My family still loves the Wii, even though we started 4 years ago. I think it's a great console but why drop 350 on the system, 70 for each controller and 80 bux a game (all pre tax, CDN) when we are having a blast with the Wii? If it only had a few more Mariokart quality titles...

Edited by atarilovesyou

We have pondered the original Intellivision question for years internally! I'll tell you the weirdest part... EVERYONE does it differently and we can't figure out why!

For example... I'm right handed but I control the disc with my LEFT thumb. About half the righties in the office do the same... but the other half of the office (who are also righties) control the disc with their RIGHT thumb!

And we find the same exact thing for left-handed folks. Some use the left thumb for the disc... and others the right!

But here's what really gonna keep you up at night! :)

For the right-handed folks who can't fathom using your left thumb for the disc.... what side of the controller has the d-pad been on for the past 35 years? Always on the left! It's been natural in gaming since the NES in 1985 that you control the motions of the main character/vehicle with your left thumb!

It's all crazy stuff and we have NO idea why certain folks hold it the way they do.

This is one of the great things about the new controller... you can literally hold it ANY way you want! Up, down, left, right, horizontal, vertical... we've designed it so it feels right for everyone at any time. Can't say that about the PS4 & XBOX controllers (both of which I love... although PS4 is probably my current "released" console favorite). :D

I would expect that anyone that has been influenced by post-nintendo controllers might use an intellivision disc left-handed. People that have never played any video games might prefer their dominant hand on disc. There's always exceptions, like when you buy your kid a right handed hockey stick and no matter how hard you try she insists on holding it left handed. That's why you always get your kids first hockey sticks with straight blades. If you give someone no choice like any game controller today, people will eventually learn it with time. But many casual gamers might be put off, that's why an ambidextrous controller should help with non gamers.

I think it's natural for right handed people to control the movement in a game with the left hand and press buttons with the right.

It does seem counterintuitive but I think the majority of right handers prefer it this way.

I'm sure it goes back to pre NES days of arcade machines having the joystick to the left and the buttons on the right. That was then perpetuated in home consoles like the NES and master system.

I seem to remember seeing in a documentary that arcade machines started with the joystick on the right and buttons on the left but that was quickly reversed to joystick left and buttons right. This was done because people were getting too good using their right which was costing the arcade operators money in the form of lost revenue as people were dropping fewer coins into the machine.

Edited by Bamse
  • Like 1

If you walk up to a pac-man machine which hand do you use to control the character? How about Dig Dug, Berzerk/Frenzy, Burgertime, Xevious, Sinistar. All those machines have ambidextrous control panels.

Edited by mr_me

Good question. I have just played pacman for the HSC and when I played on my pc I used the joystick. It is an arcade stick with the buttons on the right but as they aren't used you could use either hand. I naturally used my left hand.

My highest score was achieved playing on my actual intellivision though as it normally is :)

Also, just remembered, I went to a retro arcade last month. They had a 1942 (the game) cab with the joystick in the middle and buttons on either side. I used my left had for the joystick there too.

Edited by Bamse

I'm pretty sure this topic has beeen discussed here before. :-)

Most of those ambidextrous games only have one action button. The more complex the button setup, the more likely you'll want to use your dominant hand for them. Defender, for example. Or Street Fighter. I wouldn't want to play those with my right hand on the stick and left on the buttons.

The idea that arcade operators wanted to make things harder is interesting, though.

• Like 1

Yet half the people at Intellivision Entertainment use right-hand on disc even though most were likely influenced by left-handed game controllers.

A two-way joystick like Defender has is fine in your weaker hand.

Edited by mr_me

I don't know how many people work in the Intellivision Entertainment offices but it doesn't necessarily constitute a fair representational slice of game controller users.

I could be and often are wrong though.

Edited by Bamse

Nor is it an accurate representation of non-gamers since I expect most people working at a video game company have played lots of different video game consoles made in the last thirty years.

Im not sure Tommy was trying to draw a direct comparison but rather highlighted just an example.

I'm trying to think of a way to test which hand a completely non gaming person would use and the only person I can think of that hasn't been influenced in any real way by historical controls is my mother :D

When she's next over I'm going to put on Pacman for her and see which hand uses to control it :)

I realise I'm in the minority with Joe but I've always loved and continue to prefer the original Intellivision controllers. Right now I can play intellivision games on either my PC with a Joystick, my PS2/3 with a PS3 controller, my phone/tablet using the touchscreen or my actual Intellivision and or Flashback using the original controllers.

My scores are always better using the original controllers. I'm sure there are a number of reasons like, that is how I learned to play those particular games originally, the games were designed for those controllers or that simply put, the hundreds of hours I put in using those controllers as a kid has just hardwired my brain into using them.

And again, I agree with Joe. After playing a 5 hour game of Astrosmash my thumb felt like it was in need of surgery but who plays nonstop for 5 hours? Also, if you aren't part of the Numb Thumb Club you aren't a real Intellivision player :D

I think that the original controllers have their flaws but what controller doesn't,especially from that time period. From what I can see, Tommy is taking what was good about the original, improving and embellishing it and discarding the bad.

I for one am glad the controllers are what they are I just hope the final product is not too different than what's been shown so far.

I don't think you're in the minority at all actually. Folks who grew up on Intellivision (like all of us) actually liked it. Colecovision was the tough one... Atari 2600 was a little too stiff and limiting. The disc is actually brilliant and the extra input on the keypad was incredible. Yes... the side buttons had major issues and some of the keypad stuff got brutal when you needed it to fire (I'm looking at you Deadly Discs & Night Stalker!). :)

But overall.... it was ahead of it's time and I would argue the best controller for the era. I also loved the Colecovision sports controller. That was pretty amazing for the time as well.

This is exactly why I wanted to take all of the best design elements of the original controller... but it needed a LOT of updating. We feel we've accomplished this and even the disc feels so much better. I seriously can't wait for everyone to play!

We will have working prototypes in June.

• Like 1

Price is only reason I haven't bought one. My family still loves the Wii, even though we started 4 years ago. I think it's a great console but why drop 350 on the system, 70 for each controller and 80 bux a game (all pre tax, CDN) when we are having a blast with the Wii? If it only had a few more Mariokart quality titles...

Exactly. I agree 1000%.

I hear this story a lot. And the data backs it up.

I would expect that anyone that has been influenced by post-nintendo controllers might use an intellivision disc left-handed. People that have never played any video games might prefer their dominant hand on disc. There's always exceptions, like when you buy your kid a right handed hockey stick and no matter how hard you try she insists on holding it left handed. That's why you always get your kids first hockey sticks with straight blades. If you give someone no choice like any game controller today, people will eventually learn it with time. But many casual gamers might be put off, that's why an ambidextrous controller should help with non gamers.

You want to hear a crazy thing! Whenever we put the controller in someones hand who is 20 or under... no matter what way we give it to them (horizontal or vertical)... they automatically put it vertical (like the original). Even though there are no cords, etc. When we ask them why they did that... they say because it's the way they hold their mobile phones! Folks in their 20's & 30's (Nintendo generation)... automatically hold it horizontally with the disc on the left.

Pretty interesting stuff... and another cool and unique thing about the controller.

Most of the games will have multiple ways to control the games for whatever generation you're from and whatever feels best to you. :)

• Like 1

If you walk up to a pac-man machine which hand do you use to control the character? How about Dig Dug, Berzerk/Frenzy, Burgertime, Xevious, Sinistar. All those machines have ambidextrous control panels.

Great point!! Even though I'm right hand dominant... I always controlled Pac-Man with my left hand.

Strange!

Nor is it an accurate representation of non-gamers since I expect most people working at a video game company have played lots of different video game consoles made in the last thirty years.

Yes... almost everyone in the office has been playing video games since the beginning... and I think everyone (with the exception of one or two) has been working in the video game industry for 30 - 40 years!

So we are definitely not the average folks when it comes to video games. That's why we make sure to do a lot of focus testing to ensure we get it as right as possible. :)

Tommy has been on my radar since the EP days. While I didn't always agree with Tommy's review opinions, it was clear he always spoke his mind. That couldn't have been easy to do, while still working in the industry. The guy has integrity.

I was going to post to the Q+A thread, asking him to reconsider adding a couple buttons to the front face of the controller. But after reading about the target audience, and the experiences of the Intellivision owners here (I only played Inty a few times back in the day), I think I'm going to have a bit of faith that they know what they're doing. Having a bunch of buttons, a touch LCD, and the directional controller, might be too much controller soup for casuals to handle.

Anybody who has seriously thought about putting together a MAME cabinet knows that one controller scheme can't do everything, even with simple classic games. There's always a trade-off.

The tactile shoulder buttons as presented (which Tommy said will change) seem only good for one-button-at-a-time action, when the controller is held sideways. But maybe one-button (plus occasional LCD) is fine for a lot of games. Maybe this controller will enable a new class of games, similar to mobile being fantastic for poke and swipe action, but horrible for directional games. Maybe not, but it's worth a shot.

I'm in this camp. Hold it in my left hand and control with my right thumb ... my girlfriend walked in on me doing it the other day. She freaked out!

Quoted for unintentional hilariousness. :P

Tommy has been on my radar since the EP days. While I didn't always agree with Tommy's review opinions, it was clear he always spoke his mind. That couldn't have been easy to do, while still working in the industry. The guy has integrity.

I was going to post to the Q+A thread, asking him to reconsider adding a couple buttons to the front face of the controller. But after reading about the target audience, and the experiences of the Intellivision owners here (I only played Inty a few times back in the day), I think I'm going to have a bit of faith that they know what they're doing. Having a bunch of buttons, a touch LCD, and the directional controller, might be too much controller soup for casuals to handle.

Anybody who has seriously thought about putting together a MAME cabinet knows that one controller scheme can't do everything, even with simple classic games. There's always a trade-off.

The tactile shoulder buttons as presented (which Tommy said will change) seem only good for one-button-at-a-time action, when the controller is held sideways. But maybe one-button (plus occasional LCD) is fine for a lot of games. Maybe this controller will enable a new class of games, similar to mobile being fantastic for poke and swipe action, but horrible for directional games. Maybe not, but it's worth a shot.

Quoted for unintentional hilariousness. :P

Thanks for mentioning the integrity thing. You are right... it was very difficult giving a game a bad review because a lot of times I knew the people making them! A few times I even had to trash games I worked on! Imagine showing up in the office after that episode ran! :) But I figured it was always better to be honest than to be a kiss ass phony (something us Italians from the East Coast don't really have the ability to do). Hahhaha!

To be fair... I also liked to rile up my co-host Vic because it made for great TV. So I would pour it on for the cameras for sure. But I'm not like that "in real life". :)

Adding buttons to the front is a HUGE debate which goes back and forth in the office all the time. And with the Industrial Design team. It's a really tough one and you nailed it right on the head! Folks in their 20's & 30's want 2 buttons above the screen... so when they play horizontally they can twitch fire. I totally get it. But that really isn't the audience we're going for... and like you said... if we now put 6 buttons on a controller... it now starts to go against everything we stand for (controllers not being complicated).

We've decided to move forward with only 4 buttons and when the games are playable and the 1st rev of the controller is playable (in a few months)... we will be doing a TON of focus testing and make the final decision. More than likely it will only be 4 buttons... but we are open to change if the majority of our target market wants it different. Little kids will play whatever you put in there hand. They aren't the issue. For older folks (50+) they prefer something as simple as possible.

You are also correct about the side buttons as shoulder buttons (when held horizontal). Only one of them can really be used as a true shoulder button. But the shape of the button is amazing and feels incredible!

Also, keep in mind that we aren't doing complex fighting games, etc. And for the action games... we are keeping it all to one or two buttons... like in the old days. So far we haven't gone after the Defender license so we're good. :)

It's hard to judge this kind of stuff when folks haven't had the controller in their hands and aren't playing the games. It's easy for someone to "hate" on the controller. I totally get it. And I'm not worried knowing that when people finally get a chance to play the games for themselves... they will feel differently.

And finally... whose to say we won't have a "PRO" controller available on launch as well. Maybe add a few more buttons? Chance the shape a little? Just sayin'....

:)

Tommy

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 1