Rev

Tommy Tallarico’s: Mean message boards (Amico)

I don't think you're in the minority at all actually. Folks who grew up on Intellivision (like all of us) actually liked it. Colecovision was the tough one... Atari 2600 was a little too stiff and limiting. The disc is actually brilliant and the extra input on the keypad was incredible. Yes... the side buttons had major issues and some of the keypad stuff got brutal when you needed it to fire (I'm looking at you Deadly Discs & Night Stalker!). :)

But overall.... it was ahead of it's time and I would argue the best controller for the era. I also loved the Colecovision sports controller. That was pretty amazing for the time as well.

This is exactly why I wanted to take all of the best design elements of the original controller... but it needed a LOT of updating. We feel we've accomplished this and even the disc feels so much better. I seriously can't wait for everyone to play!

We will have working prototypes in June.

I hear intellivision controller bashing far more than I hear praise for it, even here. I'm sure you've seen the same directed at your new controllers even though all people have seen is a rough prototype mockup so far.

That is why I assumed I was in the minority.

It good to know that I'm not :)

My original point was that although the original controller has its faults, I loved and still love it and I for one am glad you decided to rework it rather than replace it with something entirely different. I think some of your ideas for it sound inspired and I'm very much looking forward to seeing a working version.

I hear intellivision controller bashing far more than I hear praise for it, even here. I'm sure you've seen the same directed at your new controllers even though all people have seen is a rough prototype mockup so far.

That is why I assumed I was in the minority.

It good to know that I'm not :)

My original point was that although the original controller has its faults, I loved and still love it and I for one am glad you decided to rework it rather than replace it with something entirely different. I think some of your ideas for it sound inspired and I'm very much looking forward to seeing a working version.

Thanks!

Yes... definitely need to keep some of the original Intellivision DNA. Same idea with keeping the controllers in the main unit when you're not playing. A little nod to the original... but also opened us up to wireless charging!! By keeping the controllers in the base as a nod to the original... we realized it had major "charging" and aesthetic benefits as well. :)

Yeah... even hardcore Message Boards don't really represent the "average" person who played Intellivision back in the day. We are all a different breed for sure (I put myself in this category as well!)

:)

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 1

I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to move the side buttons to the face, above the touch screen; three face buttons in a half diamond pattern. If you have four side buttons, two on either side, only two on one side can be used comfortably.

Will wait and see what you guys come up with.

Edit:

I'm guessing the disc/pad doesn't spin like an intellivision disc. Is that correct?

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I hope there isn't too much on-controller-LCD action. I imagine it would be fatiguing to constantly looking at the controller and then the big-screen on the wall. In other words, I hope the LCD is limited to displaying overlays and isn't involved in gameplay.

Let touch+mobile remain touch+mobile.

Edited by Keatah

Would it be possible to put some bumps on the controller screen like the bubbles on the original keypad to give the screen some tactile feeling?

Thanks!

Yes... definitely need to keep some of the original Intellivision DNA. Same idea with keeping the controllers in the main unit when you're not playing. A little nod to the original... but also opened us up to wireless charging!! By keeping the controllers in the base as a nod to the original... we realized it had major "charging" and aesthetic benefits as well. :)

Yeah... even hardcore Message Boards don't really represent the "average" person who played Intellivision back in the day. We are all a different breed for sure (I put myself in this category as well!)

Wireless charging (Qi compliant?), so I can drop my phone on the console to be charged while playing?

• Like 2

With all due respect I just can't see this being that appealing to anyone outside the most hardcore Intellivision fans, which is an extremely niche fanbase as is.

There are already fantastic gaming devices aimed at being family friendly, with Nintendo being the obvious front runner in that demographic, so this Amico is going to face some stiff competition.

Amico might have an advantage of lower game prices, but at the end of the day the quality of games is what matters and people clearly are willing to pay a premium for a premium experience.

For the Amico to have a chance to reach even the most moderate of success its going to have to offer a lot more than some remastered games from the 70's/80's with a few modern indie titles mixed in.

I'm willing to keep an open mind and see how it turns out, but currently I'd be iying if I said I see it being a big hit.

Best of luck to those behind this project.

Edited by SegaSnatcher

With all due respect I just can't see this being that appealing to anyone outside the most hardcore Intellivision fans, which is an extremely niche fanbase as is.

I'm curious to know what made you think that since, from what I've read so far (including many complaints from Intellivision fans here), it is not aimed at all at the Intellivision fan.

Intellivision Fan: "It's crap, the controller is different from the original, it won't play my old games, and won't even have a cartridge port. It will fail."

Non-Intellivision Fan: "It's crap, it has the same stupid controller as before, it will only play old games, and it's for Intellivision fans only. It will fail."

Now, both can't be true, right? ;)

-dZ.

• Like 2

Intellivision Entertainment is saying 75% of games at launch will not be "remastered" retro titles, and coming from all kinds of developers and will include some popular video game franchises. I suspect that in 2020, their marketing will make the Amico look nothing like a retro console.

No doubt there will be competition. Nintendo advertises "family friendly" as well. A key strategy for Amico is that all games will be exclusive to the system. One thing everyone agrees with is the games better be good, or they have no chance.

Edit:

And the retro titles are not just from Intellivision. There's Atari, Sega Genesis, and NES stuff there as well.

Edited by mr_me

I think the nod to the original Intellivision including the games of that time will be a small part of the Amico and as above, won't be what the console will rely on as it moves forward. I think it's clever the way they are capturing the original Intellivision and retro groups at the same time as marketing it towards families that may either have no interest in or general knowledge of the games we grew up with and adore.

I hope there isn't too much on-controller-LCD action. I imagine it would be fatiguing to constantly looking at the controller and then the big-screen on the wall. In other words, I hope the LCD is limited to displaying overlays and isn't involved in gameplay.

Let touch+mobile remain touch+mobile.

It's different for every game. Depends on the type of game. If you've ever played Jackbox then you'll know that the mobile screen is just as important as the main screen. We are using the controller screen in very unique ways that has never been done before. Sometimes used to get hidden data/info from other players, sometimes used for others in the room to help complete tasks together... so many different ways. Don't think of the new Intellivision as being a typical video game experience. Some games will be... but others are not. :) It will all make a lot more sense when you finally get a chance to play it.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to put some bumps on the controller screen like the bubbles on the original keypad to give the screen some tactile feeling?

We are doing something. You'll know where the center of the screen is. Can't put bubbles like the original though because the touch screen is used in hundreds of different ways and positions. But you'll know where the center is. :)

• Like 2

Wireless charging (Qi compliant?), so I can drop my phone on the console to be charged while playing?

After a lot of research we decided to ditch the Qi and instead go with a more typical, more reliable and quicker wireless charging system (i.e. contacts).

Aside from being a lot more expensive, Qi is definitely convenient... but it comes with a lot of things that wouldn't make sense for a game controller. The biggest factor other than price is that it's slower.

So the controller STILL has wireless charging, but there will be contacts that touch when you place the controllers back into the base. In essence the same exact thing... except quicker, cheaper and more reliable.

All that being said... you'll still be able to "wire" charge the controllers as well... although with being able to put the controllers right back into the system and having them charge automatically... we don't see wire charging as something that most people will need to do.

We are currently in MAJOR battery testing mode right now. Not only for size... but mostly for power & reliability. We have the most amazing engineers bench-testing the CRAP out of hundreds of batteries. It's a very long process, but one that we MUST get right.

• Like 3

There are already fantastic gaming devices aimed at being family friendly, with Nintendo being the obvious front runner in that demographic, so this Amico is going to face some stiff competition.

Amico might have an advantage of lower game prices, but at the end of the day the quality of games is what matters and people clearly are willing to pay a premium for a premium experience.

For the Amico to have a chance to reach even the most moderate of success its going to have to offer a lot more than some remastered games from the 70's/80's with a few modern indie titles mixed in.

I'm willing to keep an open mind and see how it turns out, but currently I'd be iying if I said I see it being a big hit.

Best of luck to those behind this project.

Hi,

Thanks for commenting, but with all due respect... I completely disagree. :)

To say that Amico is only going to appeal to hardcore Intellivision fans is extremely short-sighted in my opinion. I think that maybe you are assuming that we are only remastering classic games? That isn't the case at all. Classic/Vintage Gaming only make up approximately 25% of our library on launch.

I would also argue that the Nintendo Switch is NOT a family machine. Look at their flagship titles... Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros. DEFINITELY not for casuals and non-gamers. Compare that to Wii Sports on the Wii (i.e. Bowling.. the only game that was really played in that tech demo). Completely different audience that they attracted. I would also argue that there are NOT already fantastic gaming devices aimed at families. Which ones? Is PS, PC & XBOX TARGETED at families? Of course not. Just the controllers alone are non-starters for most people. What huge local multi-player/couch co-op games are there for the Switch? And how many additional controllers would you need to purchase in order to play with 4 - 5 people? If you gave a Switch to your grandmother unopened... would she have the ability to plug it in and start playing? What kind of quality curation is Nintendo doing with it's products? Are most parents using the Parental Controls on a Switch so that the massive amounts of violent video games can not be played? How many people who consider themselves CASUAL or NON-GAMERS own or play a Switch? I know the numbers... I can tell you that it's not many. Mobile is 55% of the video game market worldwide. That's over twice as much as ALL the home consoles combined! (doesn't include PC, but that's even lower). Those mobile players are people who play games on almost a daily basis... yet do NOT play home consoles because they are too complicated. And mobile is a solitary playing system for the most part with crappy controls, zero curation and all they want is your credit card, your email, your friends list on Facebook OR... you get a 30 second ad every 3 minutes.

The Nintendo Switch is not catering to local multi-player/couch co-op and they are not catering to casual gamers. Can you play casual games on the system? Sure... there are some if you look hard enough. But it's certainly not their focus. Also, see if your grandmother or parents find the Switch controller to be inviting or as easy to use at the Wii. The answer again is no. Try playing something as simple as Mario Kart on the Switch. Not as easy as it once was. Frustrating to the average non-gamer... they will put it down after 1 or 2 races of struggling not to be last. Mario Party? Again... play it with a room full of folks who typically play Match 3 games or card/board games. See if they go back for a second game on their own a day later.

I absolutely agree 100% with you that the quality of the games is going to be the most important aspect of success for us. And we feel confident that the games we have in development are super unique, super easy and fun to play by everyone and take full advantage of what our goals are.

I appreciate that you said you would keep an open mind and I TOTALLY understand the skepticism. I hope my response didn't come across as being confrontational in any way. Not my intention.

• Like 1

I'm curious to know what made you think that since, from what I've read so far (including many complaints from Intellivision fans here), it is not aimed at all at the Intellivision fan.

Intellivision Fan: "It's crap, the controller is different from the original, it won't play my old games, and won't even have a cartridge port. It will fail."

Non-Intellivision Fan: "It's crap, it has the same stupid controller as before, it will only play old games, and it's for Intellivision fans only. It will fail."

Now, both can't be true, right? ;)

-dZ.

Hahaha. I guess it's hard to please everyone at the same time eh?! ;)

I just can't wait for people to actually play it. Then they will have real reasons to either like it or dislike it instead of just assuming and judging before they even get a chance to experience it.

Intellivision Entertainment is saying 75% of games at launch will not be "remastered" retro titles, and coming from all kinds of developers and will include some popular video game franchises. I suspect that in 2020, their marketing will make the Amico look nothing like a retro console.

No doubt there will be competition. Nintendo advertises "family friendly" as well. A key strategy for Amico is that all games will be exclusive to the system. One thing everyone agrees with is the games better be good, or they have no chance.

Edit:

And the retro titles are not just from Intellivision. There's Atari, Sega Genesis, and NES stuff there as well.

You are correct. Our marketing will barely make reference to it being a Retro Machine. Because it isn't.

I probably made a slight error is choosing to do the Reveal Trailer the way I did as most people thought it was just going to be another emulator or NES classic (because of the retro theme I picked). We did launch it at the PRGE so felt that we were paying respects to our heritage as well.

We're still happy with the way the trailer turned out and it was a cool nod to the 80's and our roots. But from now on, we're ditching the "Retro" vibe in marketing and making sure people understand that this is a brand new machine with new games and a mission to bring family & friends back together in the same room to play simple & fun games together at an affordable price.

• Like 4

I think it's the right move to ditch the retro angle in the marketing. Just please don't drop it in practice. At least from the intellivision aspect of it 😁.

• Like 1

I think it's the right move to ditch the retro angle in the marketing. Just please don't drop it in practice. At least from the intellivision aspect of it .

Exactly correct!

We are using retro game making sensibilities and paying homage to our incredible heritage and past... while using new technology to bring back the simplicity of playing games with family & friends.

• Like 1

Hahaha. I guess it's hard to please everyone at the same time eh?! ;)

I just can't wait for people to actually play it. Then they will have real reasons to either like it or dislike it instead of just assuming and judging before they even get a chance to experience it.

I think there were speculation threads early on with some saying it was a new retro-console while others were saying it was competing with the PS4, XBone and Switch. Things only snowballed from there.

I think there were speculation threads early on with some saying it was a new retro-console while others were saying it was competing with the PS4, XBone and Switch. Things only snowballed from there.

Huh? So wait... what you're saying is that there is incorrect information on the internetz? NO!!! NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

:D

Hi,

Thanks for commenting, but with all due respect... I completely disagree. :)

To say that Amico is only going to appeal to hardcore Intellivision fans is extremely short-sighted in my opinion. I think that maybe you are assuming that we are only remastering classic games? That isn't the case at all. Classic/Vintage Gaming only make up approximately 25% of our library on launch.

I would also argue that the Nintendo Switch is NOT a family machine. Look at their flagship titles... Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros. DEFINITELY not for casuals and non-gamers. Compare that to Wii Sports on the Wii (i.e. Bowling.. the only game that was really played in that tech demo). Completely different audience that they attracted. I would also argue that there are NOT already fantastic gaming devices aimed at families. Which ones? Is PS, PC & XBOX TARGETED at families? Of course not. Just the controllers alone are non-starters for most people. What huge local multi-player/couch co-op games are there for the Switch? And how many additional controllers would you need to purchase in order to play with 4 - 5 people? If you gave a Switch to your grandmother unopened... would she have the ability to plug it in and start playing? What kind of quality curation is Nintendo doing with it's products? Are most parents using the Parental Controls on a Switch so that the massive amounts of violent video games can not be played? How many people who consider themselves CASUAL or NON-GAMERS own or play a Switch? I know the numbers... I can tell you that it's not many. Mobile is 55% of the video game market worldwide. That's over twice as much as ALL the home consoles combined! (doesn't include PC, but that's even lower). Those mobile players are people who play games on almost a daily basis... yet do NOT play home consoles because they are too complicated. And mobile is a solitary playing system for the most part with crappy controls, zero curation and all they want is your credit card, your email, your friends list on Facebook OR... you get a 30 second ad every 3 minutes.

The Nintendo Switch is not catering to local multi-player/couch co-op and they are not catering to casual gamers. Can you play casual games on the system? Sure... there are some if you look hard enough. But it's certainly not their focus. Also, see if your grandmother or parents find the Switch controller to be inviting or as easy to use at the Wii. The answer again is no. Try playing something as simple as Mario Kart on the Switch. Not as easy as it once was. Frustrating to the average non-gamer... they will put it down after 1 or 2 races of struggling not to be last. Mario Party? Again... play it with a room full of folks who typically play Match 3 games or card/board games. See if they go back for a second game on their own a day later.

I absolutely agree 100% with you that the quality of the games is going to be the most important aspect of success for us. And we feel confident that the games we have in development are super unique, super easy and fun to play by everyone and take full advantage of what our goals are.

I appreciate that you said you would keep an open mind and I TOTALLY understand the skepticism. I hope my response didn't come across as being confrontational in any way. Not my intention.

Hi Tommy, thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that Amico won't just be remasterd classics, that is why I also added indie titles to the mix.

If you are going after the super casual market then you would be going up against the likes of Android and Apple which to me seems overly ambitious. Intellivision simply does not have the brand power to compete with the likes of Android or Apple. Just about every kid these days has some type of Tablet or Phone where they have access to a crap ton of free to low cost kid friendly games, so realistically how do you compete with that?

I'm just curious how you will convince the super casual and non-gamer mobile crowd that they need your standalone console in addition to their mobile devices. Are you looking at the original Wii as inspiration? IMHO, the Wii was lightning in a bottle. It was the right product at the right time and it came out during a time when devices like the iPhone and IPAD didn't exist yet.

I just fail to see a great selling point to this device. "A low cost family friendly gaming solution." is not exactly new, those devices already exist.

So, I ask myself "What does the Amico do differently compared to what is already out there?"

Edited by SegaSnatcher

Huh? So wait... what you're saying is that there is incorrect information on the internetz? NO!!! NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

:D

FAKE NEWS!!!!!!111one111!!

Completely off-topic, but did you compose the music for the Genesis port of Demolition Man? If so let me tell you its one of my favorite Genesis video game OST. How on earth did you get the Gems sound driver to sound so good?

Hi Tommy, thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that Amico won't just be remasterd classics, that is why I also added indie titles to the mix.

If you are going after the super casual market then you would be going up against the likes of Android and Apple which to me seems overly ambitious. Intellivision simply does not have the brand power to compete with the likes of Android or Apple. Just about every kid these days has some type of Tablet or Phone where they have access to a crap ton of free to low cost kid friendly games, so realistically how do you compete with that?

I'm just curious how you will convince the super casual and non-gamer mobile crowd that they need your standalone console in addition to their mobile devices. Are you looking at the original Wii as inspiration? IMHO, the Wii was lightning in a bottle. It was the right product at the right time and it came out during a time when devices like the iPhone and IPAD didn't exist yet.

I just fail to see a great selling point to this device. "A low cost family friendly gaming solution." is not exactly new, those devices already exist.

So, I ask myself "What does the Amico do differently compared to what is already out there?"

Hi,

No worries. Intelligent and respectful discussions are always welcome!

You keep saying that there is a low cost family friendly gaming solution and that those devices exist. I would beg to differ. Is an $800 phone a low cost or friendly solution? Is a $200 wifi tablet with 98% crap titles and very intrusive marketing "friendly"?

As I previously mentioned... Mobile has a TON of issues that people put up with because there isn't any other options.

1. The controls suck. Good for Match 3, swiping or trying to roll a ball in a hole. But try playing something as simple as Pac-Man which only uses 4 directions and no buttons. Unplayable on mobile! As well as most other arcade style games.

2. ZERO curation. Bad for developers and bad for end users. Do we really need 25,000 different fart apps?

3. TAKE MY MONEY! AND MY PATIENCE! :) - People HATE the way mobile games are only set up to suck as much money out of you as possible. Real fun and friendly eh? They want your e-mail, they want your credit card, they want your friends list on Facebook. And if you don't give them at least one of those 3 things... then you will get an annoying low quality 30 second cheesy ad about every 3 minutes of gameplay. Out of the hundreds of millions of people who play video games on their mobile device every day... tell me one of them who likes the ads or giving their personal info or always having to spend money in order to get to the next level. People put up with it because they have NO choice. We're going to change that.

4. And the BIGGEST reason (once again) is that mobile games are solitary. With the exception of a few games like Jackbox or Spaceteam... families are NOT playing video games together in the same room on their mobile devices. And just because a game system or device offers content for young kids does not mean it's "family-friendly" as a way to play games together in a group of people.

NONE of all the current machines focus on that. They are either interested in selling you $400 machines with ONE controller, then selling you a $10 - $20 a month subscription, then selling you additional controllers that start at $60 - $80 each... then selling you $60 games. That is Nintendo, Sony & XBOX (Nintendo machine obviously $100 less but has everything else). So how are any of the big 3 "Family" oriented? How are they "Friendly" to the average person in any way, shape or form? Because they have a handful of games that kids can play? But can those same kids play with their parents and grandparents and ALL have fun together?

There has been a HUGE explosion in the board game market over the past 5 years. In fact, Board Games now represent the biggest section of money on Kickstarter. What is that saying? Our market research (and others) show that video games no longer offer group play like they once did (the last machine to do it was the Wii... which was 13 years ago!).

You brought up the Wii and said they caught lightning in a bottle. Yes! Absolutely! But WHY??? Because they made a system that initially appealed to non-gamers. Nursing homes were buying them for crying out loud. :) And no one (including Nintendo) has ever tried to replicate that success. Why? Because Nintendo NEVER initially planned on appealing to non-gamers. Ask anyone who worked there during that time (we know because 4 of the people who helped to launch the Wii and the DS & Pokemon all work for us now). :)

Nintendo created the Wii because they had to pivot away from Sony & Microsoft who were beating them badly. Nintendo is a $40 Billion super successful company because they know their audience and cater to them well. As soon as the Wii came out they went right back to their "wheel house" creating games that Nintendo fans love. Mario, Pikman, Metroid (I worked with Miyamoto on that one), Smash Bros., Zelda, etc.

So although the Wii was the 3rd biggest home console machine ever (over 102 million units sold) a large percentage of people NEVER purchased a game for it. They paid $249 to play a bowling tech demo. And they were happy with that! My mom falls into this exact category.

We are not only going to focus on simple and fun local multi-player games (which will of course all have single player experiences as well)... but we are also going to focus on people who have never seriously been targeted.

You mention that we don't have a chance because we're going up against mobile gaming which holds 55% of the marketplace. To be a true disruptor... wouldn't you want to go after the one segment of the market that has the most market share and that people are unhappy with? No reason for us to try and compete directly with Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. So while they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars fighting each other for the next big photo-realistic hardware experience and spending tens of millions of dollars and years and years on game development with hundreds of team members. We'll just be focused on our mission to bring families and friends together with simple and fun games that everyone can enjoy... no matter what level of gaming you are on. None of the mobile, PC or the home consoles focus on this entirely. They can't because of the way they have set up their hardware and eco-systems.

We literally do EVERYTHING differently than the others. It will be our job to ensure the world knows that through marketing. Luckily we have the 2 ladies who worked at Nintendo for a combined 30 years and who launched the Wii, the DS & the Pokemon franchise. As well as the first president of Nintendo of America (internal development). So we're in good hands. :)

• Like 2