Rev

Tommy Tallarico’s: Mean message boards (Amico)

Completely off-topic, but did you compose the music for the Genesis port of Demolition Man? If so let me tell you its one of my favorite Genesis video game OST. How on earth did you get the Gems sound driver to sound so good?

Yep! That was me. Thanks for the kind words.

I also hired and worked with Toe Jam & Earl composer Mark Miller on that one (I also used him for parts of Robocop vs. Terminator).

Here's a GREAT video about how folks like us created music on the Genesis. It was a driver called G.E.M.S. which was actually written by Mark Millers' brother!

I would tweak and thrash the hell out of that thing! Earthworm Jim & Aladdin on the Genesis boasted the biggest amount of cartridge space for audio at the time. I had to do a LOT of convincing to get the publisher (Virgin) to spend a few extra bucks on carts... just so my music could be better. :)

• Like 4

Hi,

No worries. Intelligent and respectful discussions are always welcome!

You keep saying that there is a low cost family friendly gaming solution and that those devices exist. I would beg to differ. Is an $800 phone a low cost or friendly solution? Is a $200 wifi tablet with 98% crap titles and very intrusive marketing "friendly"?

:)

We literally do EVERYTHING differently than the others. It will be our job to ensure the world knows that through marketing. Luckily we have the 2 ladies who worked at Nintendo for a combined 30 years and who launched the Wii, the DS & the Pokemon franchise. As well as the first president of Nintendo of America. So we're in good hands. :)

I just want to clarify that I don't think the mobile market is perfect. As a gaming enthusiast mobile doesn't offer me much of anything in regards to gaming, so I'm defintialy not putting mobile devices on a pedestal. just pointing out how much marketshare they already possess in that demographic you are interested in. I agree with a lot of what you have to say about the mobile market in general. The uphill battle would be your ability to convince those people who are perfectly happy playing their substandard games on their mobile devices to buy your product as well. Do you plan on setting up kiosks in stores before launch to let people experience the console before hand? Nintendo did that with the Wii. That could potentially make a difference.

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 1

There has been a HUGE explosion in the board game market over the past 5 years. In fact, Board Games now represent the biggest section of money on Kickstarter. What is that saying? Our market research (and others) show that video games no longer offer group play like they once did (the last machine to do it was the Wii... which was 13 years ago!).

That's how it is at my house. In fact ... my PS4 gets the most play from a UNO game me and my girlfriend play. We can see our cards on our phones and when we play the card it shows up on the TV. It's the most fun i've had with my PS4 in years.

The uphill battle would be your ability to convince those people who are perfectly happy playing their substandard games on their mobile devices to buy your product as well. Do you plan on setting up kiosks in stores before launch to let people experience the console before hand? Nintendo did that with the Wii. That could potentially make a difference.

But they aren't "perfectly happy"... that's the entire point (which you agree with).

We hired the Nintendo folks for a reason. You are spot in regards to marketing PLUS a million other things the Wii couldn't do 13 years ago like Social Media, Influencers, targeted keywords, celebrity endorsements, etc., etc., etc...

:)

Edited by Tommy Tallarico

That's how it is at my house. In fact ... my PS4 gets the most play from a UNO game me and my girlfriend play. We can see our cards on our phones and when we play the card it shows up on the TV. It's the most fun i've had with my PS4 in years.

Love it!

We are hearing the same from developers and players around the world.

You want to hear a crazy thing! Whenever we put the controller in someones hand who is 20 or under... no matter what way we give it to them (horizontal or vertical)... they automatically put it vertical (like the original). Even though there are no cords, etc. When we ask them why they did that... they say because it's the way they hold their mobile phones! Folks in their 20's & 30's (Nintendo generation)... automatically hold it horizontally with the disc on the left.

Yeah, that's something I was going to comment on. There really has been a generational shift since mobile phones have become a part of everyday life, and especially with young kids. In addition to the official research we've done with the controller, I've done my own testing using an original Intellivision controller with the cord removed, as well as the keypad - and in its place I applied a laminated picture of a touch screen. I've handed that controller to my son (who's 9), and a group of his friends, as well as some young children in our neighborhood and other kids at various family and school functions. I don't give them any prompting or instruction, just let them handle it and check it out. And just like with our Amico controller tests, the kids instinctively hold the controller vertically, just like they would a phone. Some older kids have also turned it sideways, but for the most part, it's not a strange concept to them. They just think it's a phone with a disc on the bottom. The main question I get is "how do you turn it on"?

So we don't really see the design of the controller as a hurdle. Yes, the NES/Genesis generation may struggle with it initially, and of course there will be those who will hate it no matter what, but thanks to smart phones, what may be considered a throwback and unusual to seasoned [pre-original Intellivision] gamers, young kids see it as a natural alternative to a cell phone. And us old farts who grew up with the Intellivision see it as a natural progression of the original. And as Tommy says, you really do need to hold and feel the current design. It's so much more comfortable than the original. But hey, if your preference is still to hold it sideways, you can. Developers are free to design their games to utilize the controller however they like, giving as many controller options / positions as possible.

• Like 7

I just want to clarify that I don't think the mobile market is perfect. As a gaming enthusiast mobile doesn't offer me much of anything in regards to gaming, so I'm defintialy not putting mobile devices on a pedestal. just pointing out how much marketshare they already possess in that demographic you are interested in. I agree with a lot of what you have to say about the mobile market in general. The uphill battle would be your ability to convince those people who are perfectly happy playing their substandard games on their mobile devices to buy your product as well. Do you plan on setting up kiosks in stores before launch to let people experience the console before hand? Nintendo did that with the Wii. That could potentially make a difference.

Yes. Our approach to marketing is going to be VERY hands on. Local malls, local morning TV shows as well as major national advertising, super popular influencers and huge celebrity endorsements. Once again... there is a very specific reason why we hired the folks who launched the Wii, the DS & the Pokemon franchise. It wasn't by chance. :)

One thing to consider in regards to the "market".

If you add up every home console right now (PS4, XBOX One, Switch) it's about 200 million. There are 3 BILLION people playing games on their phone. So it's safe to say that 2.8 billion people are being underserved and not currently being targeted for a home console... and haven't since the Wii. I think we're gonna do just fine. And may even surprise a LOT of people in the end. :)

• Like 1

Exactly! We find that same kind of story everywhere. But most people didn't even bother buying a console after the Wii. There are tens of millions people who didn't buy the next generation consoles because of the complexity. Only 200 million home consoles in this generation. 3 billion people playing mobile games. We are the ONLY console strictly paying attention to those 2.8 billion people who play games every day but don't have a home console. :)

• Like 2

It's the system itself and the way it was created. So although their marketing may be family oriented (which it has been for a long time and they are smart to do that)... the reality is that the controllers are NOT non-gamer friendly and the most popular flagship software (Smash Bros, Zelda, etc.) is also not casual or non-gamer friendly. Wii Sports WAS. Tens of millions of non-gamers purchased the system because of bowling. Which was merely a tech demo and subset of the Wii Sports pack-in. A huge majority of those folks never bought a game for the system. They paid $249 just to go bowling. Imagine if someone actually catered to that audience and not only had bowling... but shuffleboard and card games, and board games and TV game shows, etc. As well as Classic games for retro folks like us, Sports games (#1 selling game in the world is still FIFA) and a bunch of brand new IP's that utilize a very simple and unique controller that everyone can understand.

The original Intellivision excelled at Sports titles. The Wii's most successful game was a Sports pack in. What I'm hearing is that the Amico will have a sweet new modern Sports pack in :D

• Like 2

The original Intellivision excelled at Sports titles. The Wii's most successful game was a Sports pack in. What I'm hearing is that the Amico will have a sweet new modern Sports pack in :D

If that is true,it will be just one more thing to love about the new system!
  • Like 1

If that is true,it will be just one more thing to love about the new system!

Better yet, include a second pack in (or an alternative console package) that includes a card/board game/gameshow compilation ;-)

• Like 1

Better yet, include a second pack in (or an alternative console package) that includes a card/board game/gameshow compilation ;-)

That's a great idea,another option for those that may not enjoy sports games.

I do remember over the years where I bought a system or two that came with a game I didnt want.

I am personally way more likely to buy a system that comes with a game I would love playing right out of the box. Brilliant!😃

It might be interesting to see some non-USA-centric games/sports, to capture those multiple billions of people that are not in the ‘States.

It might be interesting to see some non-USA-centric games/sports, to capture those multiple billions of people that are not in the States.

Fingers crossed for Super Pro Curling

• Like 2

I'd love to see another version of LV Poker & Blackjack. I've played tons of other cars games on my phone and Nexus, nothing comes close. It's just simple and fun to play, with variation.

Toss in pinochle, baseball, Texas hold-em and Follow the Queen, or Duces Wild and you really got it all.

• Like 1

I'd love to see another version of LV Poker & Blackjack. I've played tons of other cars games on my phone and Nexus, nothing comes close. It's just simple and fun to play, with variation.

Toss in pinochle, baseball, Texas hold-em and Follow the Queen, or Duces Wild and you really got it all.

I feel like these should be pretty easy to do considering these don't require high end graphics or sound. I know Las Vegas Slots was a proposed game for Mattel at one point so I was advocating for a Las Vegas Slots & Hold'Em homebrew.

25% of all games released initially will be Sports/Recreation games!

• Like 1

25% of all initial game releases will be card/board/puzzle/dice/game show related games. :)

• Like 1

It might be interesting to see some non-USA-centric games/sports, to capture those multiple billions of people that are not in the ‘States.

Exactly!! Soccer (i.e. Football to the rest of the world) is the biggest selling sports title of all time. Yet not very popular in the U.S. We actually are working on 2 completely different styled soccer games available on launch.

I feel like these should be pretty easy to do considering these don't require high end graphics or sound. I know Las Vegas Slots was a proposed game for Mattel at one point so I was advocating for a Las Vegas Slots & Hold'Em homebrew.

We will have at least 4 or 5 pack-in games on the system that will come for FREE with every system. There will be a sports game, a classic game, an original IP game, an educational game, a puzzle/board game category most of which will all appeal to every age group and gender.

The 5 games will all be very well known by any Intellivision fan. :)

Tommy

• Like 5