IGNORED

Warren Robinett's book about making ADVENTURE

Flojomojo

...so when does he get to the part about the square, the duck-dragons and that thieving bat???

Oy vey, I read about video games and history to ESCAPE the rampant political shitstorms being constantly forced down my throat on a daily basis. Adventure is one of my all-time favorite games and I would really like to learn more about its creation and legacy but not if I have to wade through his ideological tirades to get to it. Remember when politics and entertainment were two separate things? Sigh.

• Like 3

I'm going to venture a guess that Warren is probably reading every post/reaction in this thread, given that he knows this site would be the core audience of his book, and giggling to himself in utter glee.

I guess that would depend on whether his intent was to troll for reaction or sell books.

For me, it went from a must buy to a hard pass *just like that.*

• Like 4

I'm going to venture a guess that Warren is probably reading every post/reaction in this thread, given that he knows this site would be the core audience of his book, and giggling to himself in utter glee.

I guess that would depend on whether his intent was to troll for reaction or sell books.

For me, it went from a must buy to a hard pass *just like that.*

IIRC, he is a member of the forums.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the tiny (and dying) niche of original vcs fans here is actually not the target market, and that this 'preview' is aimed at a younger audience who:

a) are gamers who are mostly ignorant of the history of the hobby before they were born,

b) read (or watched) Ready Player One,

and c) enjoy having virtue signalling injected into every aspect of their life.

• Like 2

I am not going to wade into the political aspects of the sample - and I am very interested in video game history, so I think that getting creators to document their undertakings is very useful - but what I want to say is that this seems to be a self-published endeavor, and many people could benefit from having a professional editor do what editors do best to their writing.

• Like 4

Anyone remember a time when we could all have our views without having to ban/demonize/rant against everything that didn't line up with our personal views?

The constant black and white us vs. them thinking is beyond exhausting.

Edited by Lord Thag
  • Like 1

Your original post that's in my email was much better :)

I think what is happening is we older guys are remembering what it was like when we were younger and didn't care about politics ...

yeah - I have some pending sales in the buy and sell forum. I'd rather make sure those go through than voice my opinions fully here.

• Like 1

Anyone remember a time when we could all have our views without having to ban/demonize/rant against everything that didn't line up with our personal views?

The constant black and white us vs. them thinking is beyond exhausting.

Pretty sure that's not what's going on here, but you do you.

People who think everything should be political need to step away from the Twitters and maybe see a therapist.

I think what is happening is we older guys are remembering what it was like when we were younger and didn't care about politics ...

I'm 50 and old enough to remember when you could read a video game post-mortem and not be deluged with that person's political opinion.

Don't get me wrong: His opinion doesn't affect me one way or the other. It reads like a manifesto that would've once been hidden in the deep dark areas of the web. I do find this modern idea that everything has to be politicized troubling. I'd say the same thing if he'd written an anti-abortion rant instead of this. Despite what Lord Thag suggests, this isn't about "black and white" and othering ("us vs them"). In fact, much of the resistance to that post is the opposite of that. Video games is something we all have in common, and that's what we should be celebrating--not pulling a bait-n-switch to further divide us just to soothe one man's ego.

But some people live, eat and breathe politics. Wouldn't surprise me if some of those defending Robinett cut ties with all friends who had differing political views because, well, it's 2018. I'm old enough to remember when that wasn't common also.

• Like 7

this isn't about "black and white" and othering ("us vs them"). In fact, much of the resistance to that post is the opposite of that. Video games is something we all have in common, and that's what we should be celebrating

Exactly! Why anyone purchasing a book on the history of a particular video game would want to hear about Mr. Robinett's current political opinions baffles me. I don't care if he writes a full chapter that is 100% in line with my personal beliefs, I don't want to hear it. The space is better used for discussion of the actual topic, the thing that paying readers are interested in. Anything outside of that belongs in a blog post on a website.

• Like 3

Pretty sure that's not what's going on here, but you do you.

People who think everything should be political need to step away from the Twitters and maybe see a therapist.

You apparently have a very different take on some of the comments in this thread.

I'll judge the book on it's value as a book, not on the fact that a small part of it has political content. People are entitled to their opinions.

• Like 1