IGNORED

Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. Anyone?

Karyyk

• 4 weeks later...

Just seeing this, after reading pretty dismal reviews about this game. Why do these companies keep trying to turn awesome single player games into MMORPGs? The epic experience is ruined when you have real life trash talking twits in place of story driving NPCs.

Was Oblivion Online a hit? I kind of felt like it got mediocre reviews as well. I don't get it.

• Like 3

I believe Elder Scrolls Online had a rough start, but not nearly as bad as this one has had. It also seems to have been improved on significantly since release.

I wish it had been this big of a disaster, since I suspect it just might've did well enough in the end that it's probably 50/50 whether the next Elder Scrolls game will be an online mmorpg or return to its roots (It has been officially confirmed to be in development, but even basic details are a long ways out).

If I had to guess, Fallout on the other hand probably will play it safe in 3 or 4 years time, barring a major overhaul and a ton of enhancements to turn it around after a disastrous launch.

Edited by Atariboy

Just seeing this, after reading pretty dismal reviews about this game. Why do these companies keep trying to turn awesome single player games into MMORPGs? The epic experience is ruined when you have real life trash talking twits in place of story driving NPCs.

Was Oblivion Online a hit? I kind of felt like it got mediocre reviews as well. I don't get it.

Because it's easier to milk more money out of a persistent online game with addons, perks, subscriptions, consumables and pay to win. A "boxed" game like Skyrim can have in-app purchases too, but without being able to compare your loot/house/clothes with others, there's less incentive to spend. And when the MMO goes free to play (as they always do), they have the potential to hook many more new players. You never see the "boxed" game go free with IAP, at least not yet.

"Boxed" here meaning traditional pay once, play forever, not necessarily in a physical box. Largely finished upon release, mostly offline play, often single player, no season passes.

When an online game is always evolving and changing, it's totally possible for it to be hated at launch, ignored by the core fans, but still make lots of money, even with a smaller audience, so long as there's a revenue stream with a long tail. Star Wars the Old Republic fits this mold, and it used the same software engine as Elder Scrolls Online. I wonder if Fallout Online does too?