IGNORED

Flimbo's Quest (WIP)

solo/ng

@MaPa: It's direct port gfxs from C64 so on all outside levels over the ground black is always one of their Colourmap/Colouram that's similar to ours PF2 & PF3.

Sn we could always set black as PF3 and then use 2Missiles in quadruple width on each side in 5th Player mode.

Problem is that our Flimbo guy is using all them.

I may have a solution for having the black sides borders but will leave the idea for explaining it to the coder(s) in privat then contact me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why so worried about the border changing or being blue or black at all times... it doesn't hurt the game at all... in fact it makes it more interesting, I wouldn't waste one cycle, or one byte on it best used by or for other things.

Border-line obsession to impede progress, pharmacology introduction at 11:00

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

I'm still interested in why so much ram needed ?

It actually doesnt. There is a lot of free memory in banks, almost all isdata raw unpacked etc. We didnt want to mess it up before party and meet unexpected problems.

Last days before party we were rushing stuff and it was all about "take next bank, take next bank" without planning. Its going to be refactored (we just need a short break) ;)

Also levels is going to be loaded from disk / instant loaded if cartridge or more memory.

All I hope for is he has a good laugh :D

I had :P

• Like 4

It actually doesnt. There is a lot of free memory in banks, almost all isdata raw unpacked etc. We didnt want to mess it up before party and meet unexpected problems.

Last days before party we were rushing stuff and it was all about "take next bank, take next bank" without planning. Its going to be refactored (we just need a short break) ;)

Also levels is going to be loaded from disk / instant loaded if cartridge or more memory.

Thanks !

of course (in the final version)

If that is the case, try enabling an option (via Select or Option or Kybd keys) to disable music, so, in the mean time, you free up some CPU cycles, so our NTSC community at least enjoy future demos' screen play, smoothly.

The work so far seems quite IMPRESSIVE, to say the least... Also, watch if possible for the ugly / shit-looking C64 color-palette (not your fault, anyway), as Atari may have a chance to improve its final rendition, by a good margin.

Bring it on!!! 8-)))

Edited by Faicuai

You don't need to disable music to have it be ntsc compatible... the vbi isn't such chasm that it requires that., if coded with such things in mind it won't be a problem...the programs you see that done in that way are quick hacks so you can have it right away, as the coder and graphist don't want have to re factor the whole thing. Then they look at it and say, good enough, and move on... never getting around to doing it up the best possible. If all available cycles get used up and there is no more optimization left in a pal system... and it's a completed project. Sometimes it requires good portions of critical code to be shifted back before other stuff or the other way for some timings, it's all the same things just reorganized to happen at the right time. That is a big undertaking for some folks. You use the same stuff with some tweaks and refactoring. You sometimes end up with two visually and musically identical outputs, and two different programs to get there. Only a couple games have needed such work... and since cutting off a single channel or cutting out some more furious renditions of music can also be enough to make a tight vbi work you still don't have to kill all the music... just cut back slightly on a tune as mentioned. So many different ways to get it done if it absolutely has to be... but almost no program so far could not be redone to work on NTSC.

I didn't hear from Solo of NG that any of this was at issue anyway!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

@Faicuai and @The Doctor

We will release alpha2 before full release - stuff for NTSC should be fixed there.

The engine detects NTSC machine and in busy moments wont spawn additional softsprite (to keep smooth 60fps/1 frame gameplay) - it shouldnt be even noticeable during gameplay.

The music wont be a problem and its speed will be fixed for NTSC, same as in Time Pilot.

Actually there is a one thing that is already working PAL/NTSC - the game timer (bottm right UI) :- p

About colours - thanks for the sugestion (actually more peoples asked about it). Added to todo to have "alternative" colour palette.

The game is going to have

- original colours

- original + VBXE additions (attributes, same as on C64; already implemented; + colored sprites)

- alternative

- alrenative + VBXE additions

- PAL/NTSC different values

Should please most people.

• Like 10

I think NG will pull this off and more, now all we have to do is let SOLO and friends think and code. Less time reading my nonsense means more time for constructive things to happen.

:)

Time Pilot should have a page with DONATE button, everyone (I've shown it to) loves it!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

@Faicuai and @The Doctor
We will release alpha2 before full release - stuff for NTSC should be fixed there.
The engine detects NTSC machine and in busy moments wont spawn additional softsprite (to keep smooth 60fps/1 frame gameplay) - it shouldnt be even noticeable during gameplay.
The music wont be a problem and its speed will be fixed for NTSC, same as in Time Pilot.
Actually there is a one thing that is already working PAL/NTSC - the game timer (bottm right UI) :- p
About colours - thanks for the sugestion (actually more peoples asked about it). Added to todo to have "alternative" colour palette.
The game is going to have
- original colours
- original + VBXE additions (attributes, same as on C64; already implemented; + colored sprites)
- alternative
- alrenative + VBXE additions
- PAL/NTSC different values
Should please most people.

Sounds to me like an all-round winner!!!

Absolutely GREAT work!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

SMALL INFO

We had a small break after party (well 3 months; ).

Now we are at code refactoring stage - to have more free basic RAM and not modify banked bytes (cartridge ver).

Besides Flimbo, projects are on the move (code prototype/design stage).

The goal is to finish Flimbo first and the work accelerated lately:).

• Like 14

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Project update 

We had a small "detour" for Atari Lynx 30th anniversary and just posted about it here:

with Flimbo Quest - during march-may we fixed all game bugs, refactored 70% of the code to have it working on a stock atari 64kb and finished sprite engine (actually we have writen a new, third one lol). 
but now we have ~almost same amount of sprites on the screen. Generally most of the game/needed changes are done.

It will work on any atari 64kb from cartridge - same as original C64 version.

Right after Silly Venture 2019 we are going to finish this project, so stay tuned!:)

• Like 18

• 3 months later...