IGNORED

Flimbo's Quest (WIP)

solo/ng

Well, there's no need to use cheats even IF they're available, so why not leave it to individual player? :P

We're not 10 years old anymore, can't spend hundreds of hours on one game and later levels of Flimbo's Quest are getting really tough, so having small and typical backdoor of level-skip / infinite lives / time would be greatly appreciated so when final version is ready, everyone who wishes could witness such great gfx in action.

Edited by Jacques

Well, there's no need to use cheats even IF they're available, so why not leave it to individual player? :P

We're not 10 years old anymore, can't spend hundreds of hours on one game and later levels of Flimbo's Quest are getting really tough, so having small and typical backdoor of level-skip / infinite lives / time would be greatly appreciated so when final version is ready, everyone who wishes could witness such great gfx in action.

There's part of me that agree's but I disagree about the "not 10yrs old anymore", most who play actually fell that way again and that is in the spirit of the game and part of the magic. Also, in this case the cheats are there in your face, its so easy to see them its tempting to just look at what is to come on the later levels..

For me that breaks a tiny bit of the magic.....Never underestimate the pulling power of a cheat ;)

Its not a snipe at the game or the coding to be honest, I love the game in ints WIP form already but a menu based or more hidden availability of the test code cheat system would have been better imho...And that's all it is, my opinion...Its not a do it or I'll Thanos snap my fingers thing..

Cold thinking there, age means nothing in truth, I tried to play a game without the notion of cheating it myself back in the day yet I became an avid cheater / code searcher for cheats afterwards..

Not every thing means logic based thinking nor is 'clean cut' or 'simple'..

If humans were infinitely more logical we could be in a worse mess than we are now but the human flaw gives us the risk to go beyond logic alone..

the "cheat" was only for the party (to be failsafe;). we will add xex tommorow without 5000 money and unlimited lives (thanx for the suggestion)

Yep, I guessed that by the test wip code I mentioned... ;)

Don't take the more comments as a critique, purely a suggestion which has no power :)

Its nice to be able to see what is amazing about the port but there's the sense of achiement of getting there too...Sure you don't have to cheat but it being front and centre in the test code can be inviting :)

Weak willed, probably....Have fun with the games, definitely....

generally we have revisited (again) how to approach stuff like that on a8. the code is multithreaded (cpu + 2 "cores") to handle all the data that need to be visible at the current viewport keeping everything stable. laoo/ng did the fcking mission imposible (like really). We will try to provide more info about it if people want to know (the boring stuff).

Well yes, I for one would love to hear the "boring" stuff. This looks like an amazing engine!

• Like 1

its not ours. its easy.

try with 6 x 12 x 21 (24) soft sprites, logic, music , all one frame etc

our engine is busy but is still not finished. verticality?

generally we have revisited (again) how to approach stuff like that on a8. the code is multithreaded (cpu + 2 "cores") to handle all the data that need to be visible at the current viewport keeping everything stable. laoo/ng did the fcking mission imposible (like really). We will try to provide more info about it if people want to know (the boring stuff).

Ok, my bad. I went looking for information even before you posted, and found this. If it's done in 3 months, it's damn impressive.

I can't seem to get it to load. I'm using APE/SIO2PC with XL/XE OS and Syscheck 512K external memory on my PAL 1200XL. It starts to load then after one second it just stops dead making that "purring" noise...

I finally got it to load with AspQT, but had issue the first couple times with it too, third time was a charm though...

Edited by Gunstar

I can't seem to get it to load. I'm using APE/SIO2PC with XL/XE OS and Syscheck 512K external memory on my PAL 1200XL. It starts to load then after one second it just stops dead making that "purring" noise...

I finally got it to load with AspQT, but had issue the first couple times with it too, third time was a charm though...

thanx for the feedback, added,it to the todo list (for more testing)

Generally 90% of the game is already done, we will take a short break then do the final release (PAL/NTSC)

Saberman did a video from the alpha version (thanx!)

Edited by solo/ng
  • Like 4

Looks good. Not sure if it's an intended gameplay aspect but you seem to fall off ledges sooner than expected.

Its intended - original has it. We did a small pmrovement to it (because at c64 version you fall off sooner at right edges than left edges).

I think it was to make the game more challenging generally (especially in later levels.

• Like 2

Hey, awesome present from you guys !!! Love it !

Please write more about that boring stuff !

For example: what are those "cores" you talk about ?

And why so much memory ? Are all sprite frames preshifted in memory ?

• Like 1

Why would you want blue border all the time... I think this version with changing border is better... it doesn't feel like it's restricted in a window all the time, yes much better with changing border like SOLO has done.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I don't want blue all the time, you haven't read carefully.

I just feel that black consistant border for all locations (like on C64) would look more elegant.

Whichever direction it goes, we are witnessing something truly exceptional beyond words :)

Edited by Jacques

I think someone has already asked on Atari Online, but would it be possible to make blue border around the screen black as in C64 original?

Solo has answered this already. Yes, it's possible to have black border but not without VBXE. And yes, it will be black in VBXE version. Also when game detects VBXE there will be more colors on screen.

Why? Simply, no sprites left to do this directly (at least for today).

• Like 2

Solo has answered this already. Yes, it's possible to have black border but not without VBXE. And yes, it will be black in VBXE version. Also when game detects VBXE there will be more colors on screen.

Why? Simply, no sprites left to do this directly (at least for today).

You can do it with cycle perfect DLI ! :grin: