IGNORED

Coming Soon! Drop in tactile switch controller boards

Osgeld

• 2 weeks later...

What are the advantages of this board over Best Electronics's retrofit boards other than not having to go blind looking at that GeoCities-esque atrocity of a website?

Well let me say, I've been doing some joystick rebuilds. I bought a set of "Best" boards and the boots just before Osgeld had his for sale, I bought a few sets too.

I have tested both with good results but in the end Osgled's boards have a bit better response , i used a joystick tester to really compare response and playing Defender. LOL

I also replaced the handle and boot, I have found that all the old handles have stress wear. buy new ones.

With hearing all the issues with these new retron joystick breaking , best to rebuild originals .

Pro's

1. nice clean look

2. tactile switches , great response

3. great price / shipping

4. buying from a AA member

Con's

None

post-66169-0-19038500-1544406376.jpg

• Like 5

It looks like the Best Electronics board is just a recreation of the original Atari boards with dome contacts from the 70's, where as Osgeld's board uses modern tact switches.

Tact switches should be better in every respect to dome contacts. Dome contacts are still used in some modern electronics like the Xbox One controller, but they are more refined and precise than the dome contacts from the 70's. And Microsoft uses dome contacts to save money, a few cents per button adds up to a big company, but for homebrew devices it is worth it to spend the extra pennies for tact switches.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 1

I never tried the best boards so I cant comment or contrast tween the two other than its a different approach

Fair enough. :)

Please feel free to design a PCB for the CX52 5200 joysticks. It would have to be a 4-piece but that would certainly rock and you'd have a captive audience in the 5200 Forum. Such a solution would be cheaper than using gold dots on the flex circuits... :)

Fair enough. :)

Please feel free to design a PCB for the CX52 5200 joysticks. It would have to be a 4-piece but that would certainly rock and you'd have a captive audience in the 5200 Forum. Such a solution would be cheaper than using gold dots on the flex circuits... :)

I co-developed thin FR4 flex boards with my work, so its on the list

• Like 2

I co-developed thin FR4 flex boards with my work, so its on the list

YES!!!!

And then folks could use them independent of any other mods for the stick itself, whether one goes with a self-centering option [there's 2 or 3 people working on such a solution right now albeit in semi-stealth fashion] or replaced it with a Paddle or Spinner.

Demand would be huge...

Just got my boards I ordered after the post office kept them hostage for 13 days...

Love the click they make and the quick response of the tactile switches! Got my highest score yet on Donkey Kong for my Atari 800. Well worth the money and I will be ordering more for sure very soon..

Edited by Johnrh
  • Like 2