IGNORED

champ adapter mod?

stringfellow

A champ adapter can be used with a Geneisis controller (1 fire button) un-modifyed. I have never seen anyone mod a champ adapter to use more than 1 Genesis fire button.

I think there already is an Atari 7800 adapter that allows you to use a Genesis controller on the 7800 with 2 fire buttons. That should work on ColecoVision.

Edited by Hannacek

Games that have a pause function by pressing star or # will get triggered by a Genesis Controller. While you won't notice anything in games like Donkey Kong that have no pause function.

The best thing to do is completely rewire the Genesis controller, which removes the IC chip, and prevents any problems like this. It's not difficult if you know how to solder. There is a youtube video that shows you how to do it. He makes a bunch of mistakes, and then comes back with a part 2 video. This video is good enough and you can find other tutorials online. The modified Genesis controller will work great with the champ adapter. But, you have to use an original Genesis controller, the new generic ones can't be modified.

The modified Genesis controller will work great with the champ adapter.

However, the second fire button cannot access pin 5 to fire with Champ adapter, unless the champ adapter is also modified for two buttons. I believe it was originally designed to work with one button controllers like the Atari cx-40.

However, the second fire button cannot access pin 5 to fire with Champ adapter, unless the champ adapter is also modified for two buttons. I believe it was originally designed to work with one button controllers like the Atari cx-40.

Some champ adapters don't need to be modified and work as is. The ones that don't work need you to add one wire. This topic has already been discussed.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/214256-colecovision-champ-adaptor-2-button-modification/

A champ adapter can be used with a Geneisis controller (1 fire button) un-modifyed. I have never seen anyone mod a champ adapter to use more than 1 Genesis fire button.

I think there already is an Atari 7800 adapter that allows you to use a Genesis controller on the 7800 with 2 fire buttons. That should work on ColecoVision.

The adapter for the 7800 doesn't work on the Colecovision, unfortunately. I've checked.