IGNORED

Get Papi ! A first Try with the Intellivision ! :)

Vetea

It's juste a prototype, not the real game I have in my mind.

Just need to test the velocity of my code/Intellivision with a lot of things ... All of this is new for me with the Mattel. :)

Glad you like this so. ;)

Aha! Gotcha! No worries.

Since you are interested in learning techniques for Intellivision games, one thing that you may want to try as part of your proof-of-concept is to use GRAM cycling for sprites rendered in the BACKTAB. This is yet one more technique that can help you in the future make a game with more enemies or moving objects.

For this program, the easiest way would be to use the technique for the bullet. Since the bullet has no animation, and does not have to go over anything (i.e., it collides with anything on its path), it is the simplest object to animate in the BACKTAB.

If you are interested, we can help you with that. It should be simple, but it is very effective and is a useful technique to know. :)

-dZ.

Yes sure ! But fir now, Standy by for this day, my Brain is .. Burning. :D

Cheers !

Of course! You're doing great. For a prototype, it surely almost looks like it could be a complete game. I say "almost" because it needs more mechanics and a little polish; but what you have is very solid and interesting. :)

I can't wait to see what game you have in mind. :thumbsup:

Get some rest, cheers!

-dZ.

So .. what is this "GRAM cycling for sprites rendered in the BACKTAB" technics for displaying more than 8 sprites ?

I'm curious. ;)

Instead of using a MOB for a sprite, you draw the sprite on GRAM and place it on the BACKTAB (the background). When the sprite moves, you animate it by switching the card in GRAM which displaces the object.

For example, your bullet can "move" 8 pixels like this:

........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
##...... .##..... ..##.... ...##... ....##.. .....##. ......##
##...... .##..... ..##.... ...##... ....##.. .....##. ......##

You use the logical position of the object to compute an offset in the card. When the object crosses a tile boundary, you reset the animation card to the first one, and "move" the tile to the next one in BACKTAB.

The "GRAM Cycling" is the constant switching of the GRAM card with a new animation frame.

Does it make sense?

-dZ.

Oh ok ... I call that : Tile Shifting !! ;)

Thanks, I see what you meann !! YESS !! :D ;)

Cheers and have a nice night. :)

A bientôt ! :)

Well, you could do it by shifting the cards in real time, but it's a lot easier to just pre-compute the shifts and just cycle the GRAM with new cards. We call it "GRAM Cycling" because the technique is not only used for shifting, but for key-frame animation. The trick is to do the GRAM cycling within the VBLANK period.

-dZ.

Which palette are you using when you're generating the emulated screenshots? I know there has been discussion not many months ago about the ideal palette, most closely resembling an actual Intellivision using RF, composite modded, differences between PAL and NTSC etc. It means it could look quite a bit differently with another palette, something I observed in the screenshots for the IntyBASIC compo, which were generated with a different (more accurate) palette than the default one with jzintv.

Hey !

It's a "screen copy" from my keyboard. Really don't know if the color in emulation and the render with a real Intellivision on a Screen TV ( CRT/LCD <- bit different ) were different, but I think so. ;)

I shall buy a Mattel soon ... :D

There is an Everdrive for this console ? if Yes, it is expensive ?

It is called LTO Flash! and costs $119 + shipping directly from Joe (USA). Marc Oberhäuser used to run Retrogames Shop but it is closed since GDPR came into business. He's active on this forum and will be able to tell if he still has any LTO Flash! cartridges for sale, or perhaps there is some other reseller within the EU.

• Like 2

It is called LTO Flash! and costs $119 + shipping directly from Joe (USA). Marc Oberhäuser used to run Retrogames Shop but it is closed since GDPR came into business. He's active on this forum and will be able to tell if he still has any LTO Flash! cartridges for sale, or perhaps there is some other reseller within the EU.

And just for the sake of giving you all the options, the LTO Flash! is $119 USD + shipping and is currently available directly from the manufacturer; but you could also get an older, discontinued device called the Cuttle Cart 3, which is only available in eBay from some speculators/gougers at several hundred USD; and your third option is to wait for something called The Hive which is another flash cart in development for several years, which nobody knows when or if it is coming out.

All that to say that perhaps those $119 USD for the LTO Flash! is not so bad. ;)

-dZ.

P.S. The Cuttle Cart 3 (CC3) works very well, and I used one myself. However, I bought it when it was still available. If you can find one at a reasonable price it would be very useful; but I'm afraid it's treated by some as a "collector's item."

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Here is a little video made by a friend :

A "HD" version, hehe. ;)

I fix some problems, the player come in the new Arena, each zone will have a name, an IN door and a OUT Door ( perhaps severals ! ), and you need to find the good card ( by Color/Door ).

Stay tuned. ;)

Cheers,

Vetea

PS :

I've attached the ROM. Enjoy it ! ;)

PapiCommando_V2.rom

Edited by Vetea

I played the ROM for a few tries. I have some feedback:

• There is a glitch when you kill an enemy, in which the sprite pops up for a frame or so below the entrance gate. Actually, it's the bullets counter card that pops up briefly.
  • The gun initially acts as a "wall," in that colliding with it will stop you. I have to move away and then back in, in order to advance.
  • At one point, the gun came out at the bottom of the screen, and the enemy that was close by continued walking into the bottom border and left the screen.
  • At another point, I was shooting at an enemy, and he went through a wall at the same time. It seems that the collision detection has a problem with priorities.
  • Sometimes it takes 2 bullets to kill an enemy, sometimes I spent all 5 bullets and he is still walking. I don't understand that.
  • The fast colour flickering of the initial "Ready!" message is distracting and makes the letter hard to read. I know that this is something done in many platforms, but the Intellivision colour palette makes it look weird when you're cycling through some very dark strange colours.
  • Also, the "Ready!" message should perhaps come from the side first. When it starts in the center, it is hard to read, so by the time you focus on it, it has left the screen, then it comes back from the other side. Feels unpolished.
  • Papi bullets probably shouldn't kill Papi. ;)
  • If the game is about helping Papi survive, perhaps it shouldn't be called "Get Papi!" :grin:

That's it for now. It's looking good.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Haven't played the rom yet, will do later today, but a question based on the video,

what are the red patches that seem to disappear and reappear as characters walk through/under? them?

Also it looks like the bullet counters are going down more than you are actually shooting?

or are the bullets just not all appearing on screen as you shoot them? maybe that's just the video.

Does it take the same number of hits to kill each bad guy? Is it 3? Can't quite tell. Or are different coloured guys harder to kill than others?

And once you kill them all, then what? A way to go to the next level? I realize that will come in a later version, just curious what you have planned?

Excited to see next update, this is really moving along quickly.

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback ! ;)

I've started a Debug session with my team, just to continue with a safe basis. :)

Both of issues are fixed.

Soon, I share a new version ... :D

Keep in mind, it's just a prototype for now ... But, it's interesting to follow a game from the start to his achievement. ;)

Cheers,

Vetea

The bouncing bullet will be removed. ;)

Some units need more than one hit to be destroyed, and there will be other units than this 4 bots. :)

And naturally, other Arenas ... ;)

And I see for a coop player ... For sure, Mami will be on the run !! :D

Edited by Vetea
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Here is a new update, the version 1.4. :)

What's news ?

Now, you can can go out the Arena ! Just get the Red Card/Key. ;)

It appears when you kill an amount of Bots. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a less ...

I remove the Bounce ball, and improve some element.

And i add some sound.

I have the freeway to continue and build more Arena, Monsters, weapons, Bonus and help Papi to go out this Complex. :D

I attach the ROM !

Have fun. ;)

Cheers,

Vetea

PapiCommando_V1_4.rom

• Like 5