IGNORED

Get Papi ! A first Try with the Intellivision ! :)

Vetea

Hello,

Now I fix and done my Collision Engine, I have another question :

Can I have 2 color by Tiles ? ( Background/Foreground color ) and can I Mix several Tiles with their own colors ?

Thanks. ;)

Cheers,

Vetea

Edited by Vetea

Hello,

Now I fix and done my Collision Engine, I have another question :

Can I have 2 color by Tiles ? ( Background/Foreground color ) and can I Mix several Tiles with their own colors ?

Thanks. ;)

Cheers,

Vetea

Hello Vetea,

A background tile can have only two colours: Foreground and Background. Depending on which screen mode you are using (Color Stack or FG/BG Mode), these are set differently.

A MOB card can be only a single colour (its foreground), and transparent (whatever background lies behind it). You can layer MOBs like you do with Papi in order to get a multi-colour sprite. You could also use some of the MOBs as overlays for the background in order to get a similar effect, but then you won't have them to use as enemies or anything else.

Unfortunately, background tiles cannot be layered, so you only get the two colours.

Does this answer your question?

-dZ.

Hey dZ !

I'm so sorry, I upload the wrong ROM ... My bad !

I have 36202020 listings for now with my debug version ahah ... :D

Now it's the good one ... I hope ! ;)

Cheers,

Vetea

It works great. If I may make a suggestion is to ease the collision detection by one or two pixels when Papi is between walls. Since your corridors are exactly the same size of Papi (8 pixels), it because a bit frustrating having to aim with precision to get him positioned in the exact position to enter the corridor. This frustration is made worse by the fact that Papi stops moving when you change direction to face the wall.

You should try to let Papi "cut the corner" when he is close enough to the entrance of the corridor.

-dZ.

Mmmmh yes and no. :D

Wich mode can display 16 colors ? The FG/BG ?

And can I have different background color for each Tiles ?

I'm really sorry . My English give me some great issues when I want to explain something specific.

No worries. If you'd like, you can post in French and I can try using Google Translate to try to understand it. ;)

Both modes can display 16 colors, but here are some general restrictions:

• Color Stack Mode (Mode #0 in IntyBASIC):
    • Supports 64 GRAM cards or all 320 GROM cards.
    • When using GROM cards, you can specify one of the first 8 colors in the palette as foreground. When using GRAM cards, all 16 colors are available.
    • The color "stack" is a 4-value circular array that determines the background color of cards. It starts at index #0 and advances every time you set the "Advance Color Stack" flag on the BACKTAB word.
    • The BACKTAB is treated as a continues string of tiles (in the order of their memory address). Setting the "Advance Color Stack" flag on a card, updates the background color of all the following cards in the BACKTAB as well, until you set it on another card again. Thus, it works like a "flood fill" where the background color continues on all tiles until changed again.
  • Foreground/Background Mode (Mode #1 in IntyBASIC):
    • Supports 64 GRAM cards, but only the first 64 cards of GROM, which are basically the standard font character set for letters, numbers, and symbols.
    • The foreground colour can be one of the first 8 in the palette, regardless of GRAM or GROM.
    • The background colour can be any of the 16 colours, regardless of GRAM or GROM.

Both modes have their strengths and compromises, and both can be versatile in their own way when used expertly. Most people starting use FG/BG Mode because it is much simpler to work. However, if you get to know the Color Stack Mode, you'll discover that it can be very, very powerful indeed, in spite of what seem to be serious limitations.

Personally, I use Color Stack mode mostly. I find that the ability to use all the graphical GROM cards (which include the solid 8x8 block, and many geometric figures) allows for more interesting detail than just 64 custom GRAM cards. With some clever tricks and a hard work you can exploit the Color Stack to make very colourful pictures.

Finally, you can find some technical information on the screen modes in the documentation included with the IntyBASIC SDK. Take a look at the file "stick.txt" in the "Documents/Tech" folder. ;)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Some great update today ! :D

As you see, I've success to use the FG/BG ( CS .... well nevermind ! ), with shiny graphics and better CARD design.

Now the IA have a better way to find Papi ! ;)

Each Robot have his own IA.

I take a pause now ... :D :D

Cheers,

Vetea

• Like 2

Hey thanks ! :)

Yes, it's just the beginning for me, I improve the gameplay in the same time I discover the possibilitie of the Intellivision and Sdk.

By the past, in 1982, I play on Intellivision with a friend, on Night Stalker ! Very great game. ( In this period, all of them have a ... Atari VCS ! :D )

I think to mix different style ... I shall see. ;)

Stay tuned !

Cheers,

Vetea

• Like 1

Just played a couple of times this morning ...

post-27318-0-06852000-1541855374.gif

I hope you are planning on adding more to the game-play because it gets kind of boring after a while and I just committed suicide. ;)

But I like this game, it has potential.

-dZ.

Sure !

I'm on it. ;)

Sans_titre.png?width=400&height=300

Just add the Gun ... ;)

I'm reach the sprite Limit, but find a way. :D

A gun will be very cool. It'll make the game feel like Night Stalker (one of my favourites)! :)

Where are your sprites committed? I see three for Papi, and four enemies. That's seven. You should have one more left for a bullet.

If it really comes to that, your enemies are very simple and could be implemented as background cards smoothly animating between BACKTAB cards. It's not as simple as using a MOB, but it is effective. Since your movements are constrained to a two-dimensional grid, and enemies only move in straight lines at the center of a tile, then you only need 2 GRAM cards per enemy. That's OK, because your scene is very simple and does not require much GRAM.

-dZ.

Papi is 4 Sprites, the Bandana is Red.

I use this whith the bullet.

I prefer use SPRITE with IA, more smooth moving. ;)

Well, I shall see ... It's just the beginning ... :D

There's only three colors in Papi: White, Red, Black. You shouldn't need four.

Yes, SPRITE is easier, but you can do smooth movements in BACKTAB tiles by animating the cards. We call this "GRAM Cycling," and it's an animation technique to update the cards in GRAM in "real time". Like I said, you need two cards per enemy, to cover the transition through the boundary between two tiles (vertical or horizontal, only one applies at a time in your game). It's not too hard, just a bit more work than just moving a SPRITE.

I'm just saying that it is something you could do if you need to. These are things that the Intellivision can do and techniques that make games utilize its full potential. There is really no need to constraint yourself with the limitations and techniques of other systems. ;)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Hello !

Gun is here ! :D

Another step is reached ... ;)

Just need to learn how can I init the PSG/Sound Channel when I use the Noise/ENV effect.

Cheers,

Vetea

According to the IntyBASIC manual, you do:

SOUND 0,1,0
      SOUND 1,1,0
      SOUND 2,1,0
      SOUND 4,1,$38

Looks great!

It seems that you are re-using one of Papi's MOBs for the bullet. However, as I mentioned before, Papi uses only three colours, so you should be able to composite him with only three MOBs, leaving one for the bullet.

Is there a specific reason you are using four MOBs for Papi instead of three? Perhaps we can help you re-compose the sprite so that he keeps all his colours and pixels, but uses three MOBs.

-dZ.