IGNORED

Question about using controllers for testing in Intybasic

Miketage

Just starting out with intybasic and have been going through Oscars book tonight. I'm at the part discussing programming controllers and was wondering whats the best way to do so? Is everyone buying usb adapters or converting extra controllers? At the risk of probably missing an existing thread I just wanted to ask.

Just starting out with intybasic and have been going through Oscars book tonight. I'm at the part discussing programming controllers and was wondering whats the best way to do so? Is everyone buying usb adapters or converting extra controllers? At the risk of probably missing an existing thread I just wanted to ask.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to test your hand-controller decoding using an actual hand-controller? That is typically done using a flash-cart, such as the CC3 (discontinued) or the LTO Flash! (still available). You put your program ROM in the flash-cart and test it directly on the original hardware.

You could test using a special adapter connected via USB (some of which are available), but since you probably still want to test your game on the real hardware, may as well get a flash-cart.

-dZ.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to test your hand-controller decoding using an actual hand-controller? That is typically done using a flash-cart, such as the CC3 (discontinued) or the LTO Flash! (still available). You put your program ROM in the flash-cart and test it directly on the original hardware.

You could test using a special adapter connected via USB (some of which are available), but since you probably still want to test your game on the real hardware, may as well get a flash-cart.

-dZ.

I should've been more clear. I meant using a controller in jzintv on my pc. I figured getting an adapter would probably be the best route.

I should've been more clear. I meant using a controller in jzintv on my pc. I figured getting an adapter would probably be the best route.

I imagine that getting an adapter would be the only route to use the Intellivision controller on a PC.

-dZ.

There are a few USB adapters for Intellivision controllers.

Raphnet makes one for the original console controllers - it supports one controller, so you need two if you want to test/play two player games.

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/intellivision_to_usb_adapter/index.php

Retronic makes a USB adapter with a DB9 connector, so it is useful with Intellivision Flashback controllers, Intellivision II controllers, and I think the original console controllers need an extra adapter - it supports one controller, so you need two if you want to test/play two player games.

https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/specifications/intellivision-controllers/

One of the more popular adapters is the Ultimate PC Interface - it supports two controllers with one adapter, so the price reflects this

http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php

Another popular adapter is the "2600-dapter D9" which is essentially half of the UPCI adapter - it supports one controller, so you need two if you want to test/play two player games

http://www.2600-daptor.com/

The Raphnet and Retronic are fairly dedicated to the Intellivision controller.

The UPCI and the 2600-dapter D9 are much more flexible - meaning that they support many other controllers and stuff for other systems.

Other than that, there really is no advantage of one over the other.

There will be a "hackfile" that is needed to be used, and the hackfile version is dependent on the adapter used. This is essentially a mapping file for the controller that jzintv requires.

Some of the sites have notes about this...or just let us know which you are using and we can help you out

Edited by fdr4prez
  • Like 1

There's also one created by nurmix, no? He's the guy from the Intellivisionaries Podcast.

I am not aware of him making a USB adapter.

He has made a wired adapter so you can use FB controllers on an original console, and he has made a wired adapter for using FB controllers on an Intv II console.

http://intellivisionaries.com/flashback/

So if you get the Raphnet adapter since it has the connector for the original console controllers, then you can get the wired adapter from nurmix to also plug in FB controllers to it. That'll give you some flexibility on which controller you can use. But you can't use the Intv II controllers, but who wants to do that?

The UPCI and the 2600-dapter D9 both have optional "dongles" for allowing you to connect the original controller into said adapter. So these two USB adapters can use all flavors of Intv controllers that are out there.

post-43396-0-83873400-1541450071.jpg

I am not sure if that little dongle works for the Retronic adapter, or not.

• Like 1

I am not aware of him making a USB adapter.

He has made a wired adapter so you can use FB controllers on an original console, and he has made a wired adapter for using FB controllers on an Intv II console.

http://intellivisionaries.com/flashback/

So if you get the Raphnet adapter since it has the connector for the original console controllers, then you can get the wired adapter from nurmix to also plug in FB controllers to it. That'll give you some flexibility on which controller you can use. But you can't use the Intv II controllers, but who wants to do that?

The UPCI and the 2600-dapter D9 both have optional "dongles" for allowing you to connect the original controller into said adapter. So these two USB adapters can use all flavors of Intv controllers that are out there.

attachicon.gifINTV1-dongle.jpg

I am not sure if that little dongle works for the Retronic adapter, or not.

very cool thanks for the info

That dongle will work with any usb adapter, it's just a connector adapter. If Nurmix is still making these things he could probably make any wiring/connector adapter you want but not a usb adapter.

I had an extra original intellivision controller and changed the connector by replacing the cable with a sega genesis extension cable. No special tools required.

• Like 1