IGNORED

Flashback 9 Gold - Sound Issue

I ended up picking up a 9 Gold and it has a sound issues... probably similar to the Legends. Sometimes the sound has dropouts or it skips (if that's a way to explain it). It also gets *crackly* sometimes. Is this the issue on the Legends system?

I'm not sure if it's the same as the legends. Perhaps you could take some video and post it. I know that dropouts can happen with the NES classic depending on the sound bar you use. If you are using a soundbar, try disabling it and play sounds directly from your tv and see if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

I know there are some sound issues with the legends console and they've been demonstrated on some youtube videos. If you have a chance find some of those and see if the issues they are experiencing sound similar to yours. One thing was the sounds were about a second behind the action on the screen. In others, for the Genesis games I believe, the sound was very scratchy and distorted. I don't recall any issues with sound dropout.

• Like 1

I ended up picking up a 9 Gold and it has a sound issues... probably similar to the Legends. Sometimes the sound has dropouts or it skips (if that's a way to explain it). It also gets *crackly* sometimes. Is this the issue on the Legends system?

I picked up a Flashback 9 over the weekend (saw it with a $35 clearance tag on it, marked down from $44.88). Mine definitely has sound issues. It has no sound at all when you turn it on. I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in to get sound. If that wasn't enough of a nuisance, every time I load a game, I have to repeat this process (unplug/replug hdmi cable). When I go back to the menu after playing a game, same thing. No sound. Unplug/replug. I thought it might be the HDMI cable, so I tried another, but it has the same issue. I thought maybe it didn't like something about my TV, so I tried it on another one. On the bedroom TV, it will not have sound after powering on either. However, I only have to unplug/replug the HDMI once and then the sound will work after that. It seems to not like some TVs. It doesn't like either of mine, but it likes one better than the other.

i wish people would stop giving AtGames money.

I'm just about done. I think I've been more than patient and bought products over the past several years. I've been looking forward to this years Atari and Sega release. I know the Sega one was cancelled, but I still looked forward to the Atari FB. So far, it's been pretty disappointing, even though the Stella emulator is much better. The sound issue is very frustrating, I do not understand why they would release a product that does not work with original paddle controllers (especially since there's a category of "Paddle" games on the console, and the "Boom!" on the menu looks ridiculous (the most minor of the 3 annoyances so far).

I don't understand why they can't seem to product test and do a PROPER release. Year after year, we keep asking for things and they eventually give us a couple (SD Card slot and better emulation), but then overlook the most basic functionality that gets broken, like paddles and sound breaking. I'm not clear if they're releasing portables this year, but I remember Bill saying they weren't fixing the sound emulation on the Sega Portable this year anyway... an issue that's been known for several years and the fix made available by a Brazilian guy for a few years now, but they still couldn't be bothered to fix the next year's release.

• Like 1

I picked up a Flashback 9 over the weekend (saw it with a $35 clearance tag on it, marked down from $44.88). Mine definitely has sound issues. It has no sound at all when you turn it on. I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in to get sound. If that wasn't enough of a nuisance, every time I load a game, I have to repeat this process (unplug/replug hdmi cable). When I go back to the menu after playing a game, same thing. No sound. Unplug/replug. I thought it might be the HDMI cable, so I tried another, but it has the same issue. I thought maybe it didn't like something about my TV, so I tried it on another one. On the bedroom TV, it will not have sound after powering on either. However, I only have to unplug/replug the HDMI once and then the sound will work after that. It seems to not like some TVs. It doesn't like either of mine, but it likes one better than the other.

I'm just about done. I think I've been more than patient and bought products over the past several years. I've been looking forward to this years Atari and Sega release. I know the Sega one was cancelled, but I still looked forward to the Atari FB. So far, it's been pretty disappointing, even though the Stella emulator is much better. The sound issue is very frustrating, I do not understand why they would release a product that does not work with original paddle controllers (especially since there's a category of "Paddle" games on the console, and the "Boom!" on the menu looks ridiculous (the most minor of the 3 annoyances so far).

I don't understand why they can't seem to product test and do a PROPER release. Year after year, we keep asking for things and they eventually give us a couple (SD Card slot and better emulation), but then overlook the most basic functionality that gets broken, like paddles and sound breaking. I'm not clear if they're releasing portables this year, but I remember Bill saying they weren't fixing the sound emulation on the Sega Portable this year anyway... an issue that's been known for several years and the fix made available by a Brazilian guy for a few years now, but they still couldn't be bothered to fix the next year's release.

Wait, the FB 9 series doesnt support paddles?

I'm attaching a wav file. I loaded Return To Haunted House and reset the game several times to get a sample of the intro theme. I don't know if "dropouts" are a good description but listen for yourselves. I tried another TV and the issue persists. Does anyone have a Flashback 9 that sounds like this?

Flashback 9 Gold Audio - RHH.wav

• Like 1

It does happen during the emulation but it doesn't happen when you're on the game selection menu and the background music is playing. Definitely a problem with the emulation...and it's not consistent. I wonder if it's only present on the Gold versions.

Edited by Atari Nut
  • Like 1