IGNORED

Cartridge Circuit Boards - Interchangeable?

StephenJ

Greetings,

Are the cartridge circuit boards, from the various companies, interchangeable?

As an example, would a M-Network circuit board fit into an Activision cartridge shell?

Thanks,

StephenJ

Not without some Dremel work and some sort of epoxy\liquid plastic\gorilla glue to hold the board the way it's meant to be seated but it can be done.

• Like 1

I've gotten Atari boards in Coleco shells:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277458-crossover-carts-atari-titles-in-coleco-shells/

As Shawn said, it takes some modification. Dremel would have been good---but I used a file on both the case and a tiny bit on the board. I didn't end up needing any epoxy/glue or anything as screwing the shell back together held the board tightly in place.

I've heard that Parker Brothers games are challenging because the top and bottom halves are fused together not screwed, so it's tough to get them open without breaking anything. If you do a search for cartridge shells in the forum you'll find threads where the internals and mechanics are discussed.

I've gotten Atari boards in Coleco shells:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277458-crossover-carts-atari-titles-in-coleco-shells/

As Shawn said, it takes some modification. Dremel would have been good---but I used a file on both the case and a tiny bit on the board. I didn't end up needing any epoxy/glue or anything as screwing the shell back together held the board tightly in place.

I've heard that Parker Brothers games are challenging because the top and bottom halves are fused together not screwed, so it's tough to get them open without breaking anything. If you do a search for cartridge shells in the forum you'll find threads where the internals and mechanics are discussed.

Very nice! I would like to transfer an M-Network game to an Activision or Atari shell.

Thanks,

StephenJ

Very nice! I would like to transfer an M-Network game to an Activision or Atari shell.

Depending on the game, you might find it easier to burn the M-Network game to an EPROM and then mount it on an Atari or Activision PCB. Mattel's Atari boards are a very different shape, and if it's a "super charger" game such as BurgerTime, the board probably won't fit the Atari or Activision shells without heavy modifications, if at all.

Hell, I just discovered Parker Bros. games, despite all using the same shell design through the years, vary. I recently replaced my beat up Montezumas Revenge shell (it was pretty bad and the label was borked) with one from an early Frogger, but had to shave a bit of plastic off each side of the internal PCB tabs in order for it to fit. There was ultimately a little more to it than that, but I was able to fit it just fine without using glue or silicone. Employed the older spring door guides too instead of the fixed ones, which feel cheaper to me. Slapped one of Phil's repro labels on it and voila! Long after I'm gone and the cartridge finds its way back in the wild, might end up confusing the hell out of sumguy. :rolling:

But in the meantime, I'm really happy now that one of my favorite games looks better than it ever has. :love:

Depending on the game, you might find it easier to burn the M-Network game to an EPROM and then mount it on an Atari or Activision PCB. Mattel's Atari boards are a very different shape, and if it's a "super charger" game such as BurgerTime, the board probably won't fit the Atari or Activision shells without heavy modifications, if at all.

That sounds interesting...but I have no clue how to even begin. Is there a step-by-step tutorial somewhere that includes what to buy and where?

Thanks,

StephenJ

That sounds interesting...but I have no clue how to even begin. Is there a step-by-step tutorial somewhere that includes what to buy and where?

The EPROM mod has been documented in many places over the years, and there have been a few write-ups posted right here on the forums, such as this one. You will need an EPROM burner to burn the ROM, of course, as well as a 74LS04 to use as an inverter.