IGNORED

Atari 1040 STe or Atari Falcon?

I need to slim my desk footprint down to one of these machines and I can't seem to do it. So, I am looking for help and opinions. My priorities are (most important first):

Games (Play, Testing)

Programming (Games, Utilities, Viewers)

Office (Writing, Lists, Layout)

Art (Pixel, Vector)

Tracking (MOD)

Sequencing (MIDI)

Thanks!

I've been looking for for an STe for a while now, but all I can seem to find are STfs and STfms. I'd love an STe and I'd consider killing for a Falcon!

And here you are, wondering which one to retire to storage! Now you're just showing off.

Good luck with your heartbreaking decision.

Seriously, I'm not sure how well the Falcon does with games compatibility. If it were decent, or at least on par with the STe, I think I'd probably keep the Falcon on the desk. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

"Buy a larger desk" - yeah, and then will need to buy (build, rent) bigger house/apartment because no place for it :-D

Ahh, and will need to pay more for heating :P

There are people with many retro machines, some have like 50 of them. Hard to believe that there are desks with place for all it. What I do is: put one at time on desk :)

Yeah, some extra work, but I guess that this is how ordinary people solve many things.

Falcon would be more suitable for tasks you listed, but I'm not fan of it. Whatever we do, will not change World - this are dinosaur computers, and I don't see why I would use some Atari for Art (paint SW for instance) .

What is really interesting for me is pulling out max from limited HW, OS, making old SW easier to use - means mostly make it runnable from mass storage, fixing some flaws. Making some utilities for now needed tasks ...

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
  • Like 1

What is really interesting for me is pulling out max from limited HW, OS, making old SW easier to use - means mostly make it runnable from mass storage, fixing some flaws. Making some utilities for now needed tasks ...

You're doing the best work on that front and you have asked on numerous occasions for testers. So, which of the two will make me most useful to you in that capacity?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for for an STe for a while now, but all I can seem to find are STfs and STfms. I'd love an STe and I'd consider killing for a Falcon!

And here you are, wondering which one to retire to storage! Now you're just showing off.

Good luck with your heartbreaking decision.

Seriously, I'm not sure how well the Falcon does with games compatibility. If it were decent, or at least on par with the STe, I think I'd probably keep the Falcon on the desk. Just my two cents.

Games - STE for greater compatibility, but a lot have been fixed for the Falcon. I see one up on Ebay now for $2500.

I finally bit the Bullet and Purchased an STE from The UK on ebay.co.uk. I couldn't find anything in the states that was good at all (at least for the last couple months on Ebay).

I did find a couple Mega 2s, and they are cool, but the Keyboards are like finding a needle in a haystack.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Falcons are really rare. I'd keep the Falcon personally.

I would have followed this advice, however, I am a player, not a collector. For the purpose of gaming and nostalgic content creation, the 1040 STe is the better machine; especially with a 32mhz booster and TOS switcher. It has all bases covered.

The question to ask is 'if money was not an object, which machine to keep?'. Sounds like the STE is better for software and ST compatibility

The Falcon to me is cool because I am more of a hardware guy and like that it has built in RTC, true SCSI and IDE HD and more memory and has a true VGA support so I can easily connect to anything. I can easily connect a CD rom to Scsi when needed.

Since it was discontinued the software just didn't happen except for Demos and such.

However things like Cubase Audio are nice and was ahead of its time

Edited by hunter44102