IGNORED

So I finally bought Tempest X3 for the Playstation 1...

doctor_shred

Tony Crowther did trippy visuals on Playstation far better than Tempest X3 as it was in N20:

What a beautiful second-generation game on PS1! Certainly doesn't look like 256 colors, all those smooth light effects imply 65,536 colors.

It would take an insane amount of coding effort to pull that tunnel off at 25 FPS on PAL jag (as there's no axis-aligned texturing, all texturing is generic, hence per pixel), and that's without the lightmapping and translucency effects. With those effects, perhaps 12.5 fps (50/4) at best...

• Like 2

Yes it should work with any 3D capable TV. It's great in 3D, but VR makes it a whole different game than when in 2D/3D mode. Well worth the price of entry of the PSVR for both Polybius and Wipeout imho (despite the PSVR's occasional drift issues).

At one point in time I thought Polybius was coming to the PC. Haven't seen it yet. Figured I could play it on the Vive when it does. Since I just spent the money for 2x PSVRs on a 2080RTX... don't see myself getting one any time soon.

• Like 1

What a beautiful second-generation game on PS1! Certainly doesn't look like 256 colors, all those smooth light effects imply 65,536 colors.

It would take an insane amount of coding effort to pull that tunnel off at 25 FPS on PAL jag (as there's no axis-aligned texturing, all texturing is generic, hence per pixel), and that's without the lightmapping and translucency effects. With those effects, perhaps 12.5 fps (50/4) at best...

Tony wasn't a huge fan of the Atari ST and was firmly in the Commodore CD32 camp with Captive II:Liberation, by time Jaguar hit.

I encountered his work later with N20 on Playstation, Realms Of The Haunting on PC and Wacky Races on Dreamcast.

N20 always looked built with Playstation hardware in mind.

Fantastic to see people appreciating it and Tony's work.

I encountered his work later with N20 on Playstation, Realms Of The Haunting on PC and Wacky Races on Dreamcast.

N20 always looked built with Playstation hardware in mind.

Fantastic to see people appreciating it and Tony's work.

Yeah, it's very hard not to appreciate it, as a coder - I spent some time frame-pausing the N2O YT vid and damn, what a visual feast.

He's clearly not using the HW texturing of PS1, as there are zero texturing glitches (present in great majority of other games). Which explains the perspective-correct texturing (or he must have figured out a genius way to hide those glitches somehow). So, he must have written a full SW rasterizer and his own texturing routines.

PS1 is sure fast when you let HW handle the ugly affine texturing, but not so much if it has to do the per-pixel work, like we do on Jaguar. It's main chip is only ~33 MHz, so only marginally faster compared to jag's ~26.6 MHz, certainly not enough to write each pixel from CPU. But, perhaps PS1's bus is much fatter, and you could get away with computing and writing each pixel from CPU. I'm much more intimately familiar with SH-2's and Saturn's HW than Sony's, anyway...

I know plenty people will argue - "it's just a tunnel" - yeah, but a pretty slick next-gen tunnel for its era. Gobs of PS2 games looked much worse than this.

So, he was behind RealmsOfTheHaunting ? That was a pretty cool engine for the era.

• Like 3

He's clearly not using the HW texturing of PS1, as there are zero texturing glitches (present in great majority of other games). Which explains the perspective-correct texturing (or he must have figured out a genius way to hide those glitches somehow). So, he must have written a full SW rasterizer and his own texturing routines.

On the psx the CPU can't access the video RAM. If you don't want texture glitches just use smaller triangles.

PS1 is sure fast when you let HW handle the ugly affine texturing, but not so much if it has to do the per-pixel work, like we do on Jaguar. It's main chip is only ~33 MHz, so only marginally faster compared to jag's ~26.6 MHz, certainly not enough to write each pixel from CPU. But, perhaps PS1's bus is much fatter, and you could get away with computing and writing each pixel from CPU. I'm much more intimately familiar with SH-2's and Saturn's HW than Sony's, anyway...

PSX R3000 @ 33Mhz with 2MB for itself and with a real cache.

Jaguar GPU @ 26.6Mhz with 2MB shared with other 4 processors.

PSX wins.

• Like 5

On the psx the CPU can't access the video RAM. If you don't want texture glitches just use smaller triangles.

PSX wins.

PSX 10 buttons.

Jag 17 buttons.

Jag wins! Yaaay! ;)

• Like 2

PSX wins.

Smaller tris help, but only to a degree. Perhaps the Sony's API allowed certain additional configuration of the texturing behavior, if you weren't really allowed to paint framebuffer pixel-by-pixel. Perhaps there was an additional slower texturing method exposed in the Sony's API ?

I'm not arguing that PSX is stronger machine. It better be, but N2O certainly looks better than lots of other games of the era.

I really wouldn't downplay the skill of the lead coder just to the PSX's raw power. Otherwise no PSX game would ever show those ugly affine glitches, which is most certainly not the case in the PSX game library :)

At one point in time I thought Polybius was coming to the PC. Haven't seen it yet. Figured I could play it on the Vive when it does. Since I just spent the money for 2x PSVRs on a 2080RTX... don't see myself getting one any time soon.

It will be coming to PC at some point in time but Llamasoft are a bit swamped at the moment. It currently only supports Oculus as they dont have a Vive. Hopefully this changes but Im not aware of any plans for it.

Edit: https://store.steampowered.com/app/906120/POLYBIUS/

Edited by skip

I'm digging Polybius on the PS4, I should try it in VR, but it looks amazing on my 3D TV. Still not sure if I could tolerate a PSVR, since I have a Vive Pro...

I can't play it without VR. It's a 100% different game. It was made from day one to be used on VR.

Ha, Q4 is almost over. As long as it's coded for OpenVR, or SteamVR instead of using the Oculus SDK, it should work on everything.

I suspect its coded using the Oculus SDK. Not 100% on that.

I think Minotaur Arcade Vol 1 is launching on Steam on Dec 21. It has VR support so I guess we will find out then.

I suspect its coded using the Oculus SDK. Not 100% on that.

I think Minotaur Arcade Vol 1 is launching on Steam on Dec 21. It has VR support so I guess we will find out then.

Interesting, I know the Genesis Classics has VR support (it's kind of crap though) and there is the Neo Retro Arcade which is cool to play with.

At this point for arcade stuff, I am planning on finally building a Mame cabinet :P

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...