IGNORED

Do you have any new game purchasing or preorder habits for 2019?

With 2019 coming at us fast I have been thinking about some of my collecting goals for the new year.

One is being more mindful with my entertainment spending. I can definitely improve on my new game buying habits since new games where I live cost $91.97 cad or approx. $70 USD.

If you start preordering a lot of games it can add up fast! So I think I will try to limit myself to 2 preorders for 2019.

Here are some games on my radar for 2019/2020 (since release dates are sometimes sketchy) in order of importance:

1. Cyberpunk 2077 CE

2. Yakuza 3-4-5 Remasters

3. Cuphead (if it gets a physical release)

4. The Last of Us Part 2

5. Titanfall 3 or Respawn's New Star Wars game.

How about you do you have any tips or how do you handle buying new games?

Thanks

Edited by CatsGamesWhatever

as i've gotten older, i've curtailed my discretionary spending on gaming *significantly*- the main reason being that if i keep collecting shinies i simply won't have the time to play them.

unless it's a crazy sale or i end up with an unexpected windfall i really try to only buy one or two 'modern' games a year simply because the cost vs my ROI is not equal. i tell myself to apply the same logic to my retro game collecting but i seldom listen. ;)

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 3

I don't have any plans for 2019 really as Amazon killing their pre-order discount as part of Prime threw a wrench into things. All I can tell now is that I will be buying notably LESS games thanks to that, and those that I do unless I know they're really something I'll get the money out of, will also be delayed purchases waiting to get that 20% off or better the hard way: waiting it out.

That said knowing what is coming I was interested in Doom Eternal, Metroid Prime, maybe Daemon x Machina, maybe FF CC if it's physical somewhere in the world, maybe FF9 depending on the same and/or price, New Super Mario U Deluxe is interesting as it's the only in the franchise I felt that controlled right, had the right physics, and looks/handled much like SNES Mario World so it actually was fun and not a bore or chore to deal with. Other than that I don't know until I look more. And of those games, Nintendo never lowers price so that's whatever, but the others, you know, wait it out or not depending on the game.

• Like 1

I try to only buy things that interest me and that I will have time to enjoy. Thus I skip most big console releases, but I like the freebies that come with Xbox gold and PlayStation plus memberships.

I try not to buy things that don't interest me just because they're on sale or are hyped by reviewers or popular.

I am not afraid to wade into certain kinds of free to play games, but I believe that if something is worth my time, it is worth my money, too.

I buy a lot of Humble Bundles despite my other rules, because the prices are damn good and there's often diamonds in there.

Honestly my health and happiness would be significantly improved if I just quit the whole scene altogether.

• Like 4

I used to buy anything and everything that interested me, especially once I got a good job. Last generation I decided waiting was usually better, especially with the increasingly hostile drm environment and the release of incomplete games becoming more and more rampant. (Let others be guinea pigs) This generation I've gone strictly to games I KNOW will interest me, but as I'm more short on time than ever before, even there in often not getting everything I love.

In many ways, as much as the current condition of games sux, it's in z way actually beneficial to me because it helps curb my acquisition of said games :D:P

• Like 2

I pretty much stopped buying retro games and started just focusing on all the content coming to the Switch, PS4 and 3DS. I've also pulled way back on gaming purchases. We have more than enough and if I do buy it's usually something the kids can play or that I can play with them.

This year I'd like to focus a bit more on gaming creature comforts. Our game room needs a new couch badly and I should replace the TV in there with a model with less input lag and that takes advantage of the HDR content on the PS4. A nice sound system would be good too.

Our newer main TV died and I decided not to replace it as two TVs on one floor just felt like too much.

• Like 2

I pretty much stopped buying retro games and started just focusing on all the content coming to the Switch, PS4 and 3DS. I've also pulled way back on gaming purchases. We have more than enough and if I do buy it's usually something the kids can play or that I can play with them.

This year I'd like to focus a bit more on gaming creature comforts. Our game room needs a new couch badly and I should replace the TV in there with a model with less input lag and that takes advantage of the HDR content on the PS4. A nice sound system would be good too.

I'm in the same level basically. I decided to invest in flash kits to stop the bleed on buying overpriced old games collectards have helped price into stupid levels. The only one I slightly bother with anymore is a random PS1 game, and I had been getting PCE cards but a this rate an everdrive makes more sense. Unlike you I'm good on the comforts, had a bonus a couple years back and got this insanely excellent comfy big chair at Macy's I use. And the TV I have I bought due to low input lag so I can play the touchy stuff fine.

• Like 2

I haven't bought a new game at full retail in years. Even more so for console games. Most I spent on a new console game was $20 on a 3DS game.

1. Doom Eternal
2. Doom Eternal
3. Doom Eternal
4. Doom Eternal
5. Doom Eternal

Also gotta get this game, but I haven't even finished DOOM (2016) yet. I started and then just really wanted to play through Ultimate Doom and Doom II...

• Like 1

I still just buy every single title that truly interests me, but those have been fewer and fewer titles per year as I get older. I also feel that I don't generally need games on day one, or even year one anymore. It's probably broken on day one, anyway.

I think steam summer sale 2020 is when I'll go for cdpr's cyberpunk 2077 and egosoft's x4. They should be below $25 by then. Their futuristic themes do appeal to me, but I haven't really liked any of their previous titles, despite trying quite hard with both studios. Reviews could change my mind as long as they are from real people. That's it for AAA games I'm waiting for. Except for star citizen, but I paid for that half a decade ago. (jeez...)

Right now the game I'm most looking forward to in 2019 is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

It's a $30 indie(?) title, and a prequel to Rebel Galaxy. Now it's cockpit based, and it's navigation/combat system has entered the third dimension.

That might actually be close to a day-one for me. It's priced well, and they did good last time.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

NIce post reaper, and I much agree.

Now that's something I had not heard of yet, a sequel to Rebel Galaxy. I really need to keep an eye out for that one. I was really enjoying the original, but was having a lot of crappy HDD issues at that time and after having to start it over 2-3x I just kind of lost interest and moved on from it and seriously playing PC stuff for a bit.

Samurai Shodown is the biggie on my list. And probably the new Fire Emblem and whatever indie platformers strike my fancy. But with a kid on the way I probably won't be buying many games or playing many games for some time after they're born.

At the moment I've been grabbing flash carts, as most of the old games I'm still after are too expensive for me to want to buy up; I figure they'll also serve me well for my impending curtailed game time.

Edited by ubersaurus

At the moment I've been grabbing flash carts, as most of the old games I'm still after are too expensive for me to want to buy up; I figure they'll also serve me well for my impending curtailed game time.

Oh heck, if we're talking classics, my 2019 outlook starts looking severely bleak.

My wallet has been automatically pre-ordering everything kevtris touches, including his upcoming sega-compatible, and I'm about to pre-order my first neo geo title, xeno crisis. They haven't announced the price, just that the preorder hits 'in a few weeks,' but I'm sure it will be the most expensive gaming anything I've ever bought. Not to mention kickstarters like micro mages and nes maker (which has kind of released...but not really).

Sadly, these days in the modern-retro world, it's often 'preorder or you miss out.'

Edited by Reaperman

• 3 weeks later...

I'm staying on the course I set a few years ago. And it goes something like so.

TRS-80 Pocket Computers 1, 2, and 4

I intend to pick up some miscellaneous books and program tapes and spare parts. It's not a large ecology and all of it fits into a rubbermaid tub. I have most of it already. It's nice because this summer (and just yesterday) I got some tapes for it. Tapes that I didn't have in my original collection from childhood. And I also discovered 2 I don't have yet! How cool is that!

These cassette tapes would originally sell for $10 BITD. Most can be had for a reasonable $5 - $20 today as long as you don't buy from ebay jokers asking $99 for commons!

486 & Pentium III PC

I want to organize and straighten some of this stuff up. Get rid of extra cards I know I'll never use or have zero sentimental attachment to. I don't see spending much money here outside of spare parts or miscellaneous maintenance items. For about a year I was looking for an HDD selector (A-B-C switch box). I first found one now, NIB, for under $20! Patience! That's an example of the pace at which I go after stuff. I have a lot of disks I'd like to back up and books I'd like to arrange better on the bookshelf. I may also re-case my Pentium III rig, I have all stuff necessary. And definitely do backups.

Apple II

Continuing to collect Apple II books and manuals. Again, doing so as they come my way. I may add some small minor hardware like video/composite/vga/hdmi converters and the occasional spare parts bag should I come across a good deal. Maybe get some spare 4164 memory chips.. Last manual I purchased was for like $10 over the summer. I also bought an assortment of mounting screws and brackets for $6. I still have my original stuff from the 70's and 80's, so new stuff is definitely gap-filler material or items I wanted but never got as a kid. A prime example would be the memory modules for the Practical Peripherals' In-Line Microbuffer. I so wanted to max it out when I was a kid. But it was impossible to find the parts back then, and when I wanted to order from PP themselves they were either out of them or charged wayyy too much. I don't recall which. But just last year I found all three modules for a moderate price, bringing the buffer to 256K. Again, patience!

It's all leisurely low-cost fun that doesn't strain a lifestyle. And last year's total 'vintage' expenditure was around $200-$300. I expect 2019 to be similar.

Modern Stuff

I intend to update my X-Plane, Orbiter, and Stellarium setup with a dome projector. I need to see what's available. I'm also staying away from modern consoles because DRM and Subscriptions. The wife will be taking charge of updating or replacing the various disposable NUCs scattered throughout the house. These are nice and cheap milk-carton sized disposable computers. Toss-n-Plug.

We are firmly staying away from anything crowdfunded or pre-order. It's simply too hectic trying to keep track of it all. Nothing is so important that it attains must-have-now status.

Edited by Keatah

I only have one gaming related goal for 2019, and that's to only buy games that I know I will be excited to play the moment I get them. I spent way too much time and money in 2018 buying games that just went straight on the shelf to play someday, and eventually discovered that (as Creedence Clearwater so eloquently put it) "someday never comes". With that in mind I'm currently in the process of selling and trading off my back catalog of games that I know I'm just never going to get around to playing and I'll be starting off 2019 fresh with little to no back catalog and wide open possibilities for the future.

I don't have any firm plans for games I'm going to buy at this point, though I have been itching to play Super Smash Bros. lately so I'm thinking that in January I'll probably pick up Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS; or Smash Ultimate if I luck out and end up getting a Switch for Christmas. Past that I don't really know what I'll be buying, it'll just depend on whatever I feel like playing any given week. Buy the games I want to play right now, pass over the ones I don't. That's my plan for 2019. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

I've been pretty good about only buying new titles that really interest me. That's kept my modern gaming spending habits (budget arcade style releases for download only aside) relatively low, averaging about two or three new full price titles a year. For 2019, asides from Doom Eternal, I'm also looking to pick up Devil May Cry 5 when it releases. Maybe Sekiro by From Software as well.

I haven't done preorders since the Playstation days. Don't have any big plans for "new" games other than probably getting RDR2 at some point and getting some 3DS games since I finally have one of those.

Speaking of 3DS games... I guess there are some that are only for the new 3DS? I've seen some in the e-shop or whatever it's called that say "new 3DS". I have the original, will they not work on it? I think the new one has more memory or something that maybe the games need?

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably broken on day one, anyway.

This has single-handedly ruined day-one purchases for me, and it's severely curtailed my interest in modern gaming. I pre-ordered Smash for the Switch but that's because it was a Christmas gift. Otherwise I don't preorder and I haven't in years. Ever since consoles could start receiving patches (Xbox 360/PS3, I guess), the QA in gaming has taken a nosedive and early on every single game is somewhere between "somewhat broken" and "unmitigated disaster" on day one.

I don't even know what games are coming out in 2019. I kinda like it that way.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 3