IGNORED

Do you have any new game purchasing or preorder habits for 2019?

As others have said, I won't be doing any pre-orders going forward since Amazon dropped the discount. My backlog is sufficient that I can wait for at least a 40% discount. By then the bugs have usually been mostly fixed anyway.

I'll most likely be spending more money on new Atari games next year than PS4 ones.

• Like 3

I haven't done preorders since the Playstation days. Don't have any big plans for "new" games other than probably getting RDR2 at some point and getting some 3DS games since I finally have one of those.

Speaking of 3DS games... I guess there are some that are only for the new 3DS? I've seen some in the e-shop or whatever it's called that say "new 3DS". I have the original, will they not work on it? I think the new one has more memory or something that maybe the games need?

There are some games like Xenoblade Chronicles & Fire Emblem Warriors that require the "New" 3DS hardware. Usually if it's a physical game it will show the requirements prominently on the case. I believe most virtual console SNES/SFAM games also require the new hardware. I think the hardware revision increased processor speed, VRAM & memory. There were also some quality of life stuff added with the c stick and extra trigger buttons.

If you want a neat puzzle game you should check out Shifting Worlds for the 3DS. It should be under $10 new for a physical copy too!

It's not a game per say, but I did pre-order Sigil from Limited Run Games. I love Doom and I'm a huge fan of John Romero, so this was a no brainer for me. Sure he's releasing the megawad for free, but this is too cool to pass up. I didn't get the ludicrous expensive version though, the standard one is gnarly enough for me. It's supposed to come out mid February, so I don't have to wait too long. This is pretty special to me, so I'm pretty stoked. I'm going to stay up playing it whenever it gets released while drinking Jolt cola and eating pizza. It will be quite the day.

• Like 1

This has single-handedly ruined day-one purchases for me, and it's severely curtailed my interest in modern gaming.

I don't even know what games are coming out in 2019. I kinda like it that way.

Same here, but it's also why I tend to enjoy the Switch. Yes it gets the updates, but they're not the type of game is broken but put out anyway updates, usually it's quality of life stuff or little improvements or additional content that isn't necessary. If it wasn't for them I'd stick to the 3DS and my PC because if I'm going to waste my time on broken game updates I'll be using the internet and another game in the background at the same time and abusing Steam and GoG sales at the steeper 50+% off cuts as a middle finger to it all. There's no reason to cut yourself out, but no reason to get cut either. I don't know much of what is in 2019 either as I kind of just don't care until something may catch my eye, and if it's not on Switch I'm likely blind to it.

• Like 1

A younger version of myself would have preordered Kingdom Hearts III. Nope. I'll wait until the greatest hits version. That is pretty much going to be the norm for me going forward for mass produced titles.

Any niche jrpg titles might be an exception, but I don't see much on the horizon that is all that exciting.

(And yes... avoiding more debt and purging to get rid of some of the debt from the last 2-3 years).

I will get the new Last of Us installment, probably day one since I still have an active gamers club unlocked at Best Buy, which gets me 20% off new games. I heard there will be a sequel to Bloodborne, so that's also on my list. I'm thinking about getting that new Tetris game on ps4, as it has gotten great reviews. My backlog is getting really long, but I'm just going to keep taking advantage of sale prices stacking with the 20% off..

Edited by WispFollower

I will get the new Last of Us installment, probably day one since I still have an active gamers club unlocked at Best Buy, which gets me 20% off new games. I heard there will be a sequel to Bloodborne, so that's also on my list. I'm thinking about getting that new Tetris game on ps4, as it has gotten great reviews. My backlog is getting really long, but I'm just going to keep taking advantage of sale prices stacking with the 20% off..

Same, I bought mine a month before they cancelled the program. I lucked out a bit.

Doom Eternal, Ace Combat 7, and maybe KH 3. I want the VR missions in AC7.

I always wait until after the initial reviews if it isn't embargoed. I don't buy games that are "as a service" or "server install location" discs. What's the point of a disc if nothing is on it or doesn't work without a huge update?

(I didn't really buy any new games last year other than a few PS VR and GoW)