IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Pre-Order is now live!

Bmack36

First off I want to thank everyone who has helped back and spread the message about this project. When the initial goal was set, we didn't anticipate the larger number of higher reward level backers. After reviewing our finances and updating our projections based on the current backing from the kickstarter, we will be moving forward with Plan B.

We are going to move to a standard Pre-order through the CollectorVision website. By doing the direct pre-order through the website, we will be able to maintain the original timelines for the project. This will also allow us to accept Paypal, which a lot of people have asked for and prevented them from backing the kickstarter.

The original timelines from the kickstarter are the same with a March timeframe for Early Access and a June/July timeframe for the rest.

The pre-order is available now at:

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/

https://collectorvisionphoenix.com should also take you there as well

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 12

Will the "early access" consoles have injection-molded plastic enclosures, or 3D-printed enclosures? I figure creating the injection mold for the casing is going to take a while...

Yes the early access will have injection molded parts. We should be good on timing to make this happen.

• Like 2

A suggestion for you, if you still intend to create a new ColecoVision controller: While you're processing pre-orders, you should run a private survey to determine how many people are ready to purchase a CollectorVision controller once it's ready to be purchased.

I feel this is important because old CV controllers are as unreliable as CV consoles (if not more) and not everyone is going to go out of their way to purchase a Super-NES NTT Data controller for their Phoenix. Some people may be interested in this new controller for their old CV console too.

You could include the Spinner controller in this survey, just so you don't have to run two separate surveys needlessly.

Food for thought. :)

• Like 2

I pre-ordered an early access system, but I'd definitely like the option to get a specialized controller. I do have on Super NES NTT Data controller that I got in anticipation (and plenty of wireless SNES-compatible controllers) but would prefer something more ColecoVision-specific (and not a d-pad).

• Like 1

I ordered mine. Is the SNES port only meant to be used with the NTT Data pad? How do you hit the number keys with a regular SNES pad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

It can be used with both. The number keys can be accessed through button combinations using the L and R trigger buttons (i.e. L + Y = 1)

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 1

I ordered mine. Is the SNES port only meant to be used with the NTT Data pad? How do you hit the number keys with a regular SNES pad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

It can be used with both. The number keys can be accessed through button combinations using the L and R trigger buttons (i.e. L + Y = 1)

IIRC, you could also use a ColecoVision controller in the regular port or a PS/2 number pad in the PS/2 port for the keys, if it is easier, while you have an SNES controller in the SNES port.

Edit: I am not sure how you get a # from a typical 17 or 18 button numeric pad with the layout as below:

https://www.amazon.com/Numeric-Jelly-Comb-Portable-Computer/dp/B071SHJ78T

So I did the early access a month or so ago. Just curious if there’s anything else I need to do or anything else I can do to help. Keep up the good work.

That's no longer valid, you need to place a pre-order on the site.

My bad, you're probably talking about before the kickstarter :)

While the kickstarter failed, I think what is more telling is that only 400+ people actually put down the money for it. That's a shockingly low amount of people and should probably worry CollectorVision. If they wanna keep this a small batch / one off thing, then that's cool... but I would have thought the ColecoVision community would have come out stronger.

While the kickstarter failed, I think what is more telling is that only 400+ people actually put down the money for it. That's a shockingly low amount of people and should probably worry CollectorVision. If they wanna keep this a small batch / one off thing, then that's cool... but I would have thought the ColecoVision community would have come out stronger.

Hindsight being 20/20, the kickstarter probably could have funded if the goal had been set knowing the larger amounts of higher reward levels that would be pledged. The other issue with kickstarter is that you can't use paypal or select multiple rewards. There were a lot of those pledges that bought multiple systems and a lot of people that said they wanted to back but couldn't becuase they needed to pay with paypal.

Our takeaway from the kickstarter was that there was enough interest in the system and enough people getting the higher level systems (which drastically helps to make this project possible) for us to feel confident doing a standard pre-order and to make sure the injection molded case would be done. We are confident the Colecovision community will do enough to make this system a reality.

• Like 7

So CV support thru Cartridge or SD Card, Atari 2600 support thru SD Card and later possibly a CV-to-2600 cart adapter.

How about going for the "Era Triifecta" with an Intellivision core at release or soon after via SD Card loading? Just thinking out loud because the Inty community is much larger than the CV community and could boost sales signifantly for the initial production run.

From what I read about the Inty Amico, it doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me and planned release isn't until 10/10/2020.

Also, seems Opcode has lost interest in producing his CV compatible system (Prometheus Lite) in favor of moving full steem ahead with the Omni and would be nice to see him make a definitive announcement for all those that might be waiting to hear about that system before committing to the Phoenix.

• Like 1

On the contrary, I think that's pretty good for a project like this one and at this price point. I'm curious what numbers (based on other, similar projects) you were actually expecting?

I think you live in a different world, MJ. I look at those 400+ backers and I'm very impressed. I didn't think it was going to go up that high when the KS campaign began.

• Like 2

How about going for the "Era Triifecta" with an Intellivision core at release or soon after via SD Card loading? Just thinking out loud because the Inty community is much larger than the CV community and could boost sales signifantly for the initial production run.

For Inty support to be worth the trouble, you need an actual Inty controller. So the from-the-get-go question is this: Is the controller included with AtGames' Intellivision Flashback compatible with the front controller ports on the Phoenix?

@Bmack36 if I pre-order now. Am I charged now. I'm only asking because I'm low on funds but I really want your system! Thanks for info.

Yes, the pre-orders are charged right away. The pre-orders will be open for a while, so you wouldn't need to put it in right away. We just like those interested in the early access to get their orders in sometime by the end of December(although that isn't a finalized yet) so we can get the early access orders out according to schedule.

IIRC, you could also use a ColecoVision controller in the regular port or a PS/2 number pad in the PS/2 port for the keys, if it is easier, while you have an SNES controller in the SNES port.

Edit: I am not sure how you get a # from a typical 17 or 18 button numeric pad with the layout as below:

https://www.amazon.com/Numeric-Jelly-Comb-Portable-Computer/dp/B071SHJ78T

Would this set up work differently on the Phoenix than it does for the Colecovision? I do something similar in that I use an Atari 2600 controller in port 1 for gameplay and a Coleco controller in port 2 for game selection. However, this set up does NOT work if any in game keypad presses are required. I cannot select a floor for the elevator in Miner 2049er for example. Maybe there's just something wrong with my Colecovision but if the Phoenix works in the same way, that isn't really a solution.

Would this set up work differently on the Phoenix than it does for the Colecovision? I do something similar in that I use an Atari 2600 controller in port 1 for gameplay and a Coleco controller in port 2 for game selection. However, this set up does NOT work if any in game keypad presses are required. I cannot select a floor for the elevator in Miner 2049er for example. Maybe there's just something wrong with my Colecovision but if the Phoenix works in the same way, that isn't really a solution.

The way it is setup on the Phoenix is the Controller ports, ps2 keyboard, and snes controller are all active at the same time. Right now the keyboard and SNES controller are only mapped to Player 1, so you could use all 3 at the same time to control player 1.

I think something like this might work for just a numberpad option, but i haven't tested it.

https://www.amazon.com/Numeric-Keypad-Windows-Desktop-Notebook/dp/B0161V1R30