IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Pre-Order is now live!

Bmack36

Oy, every time we get new screenshots of the Phoenix it just seems to get better and better.. The excitement for me is growing, an excitement I have not felt about gaming for decades. The Phoenix and the Omni are the two things in the video game world that have me most interested.

I love the idea of remade Colecovision games done in Phoenix format, that BC pic looked amazing and exactly where I yearned games would go back to, a simple style that is fun to look at and play without trying to make it look blocky "8 bit" like you see littered everywhere.

• Like 8

I am somewhat curious about the ADAM Computer core that is being developed. I hope whoever is doing it is knowledgeable about the machine and it won't just be based off something like the ADAMem emulator which is available (and has its shortcomings). Since the Phoenix will allow you to hookup a keyboard, it can basically become a replacement for the ADAM, but there are several things I would consider important to include.

1.) It needs to support two disk and two data drives and have the ability for you to "swap" disks (or data pack) images. If you run an application, you don't really want to save your work back to that disk or ddp, so the ability to swap our that disk or ddp for a "blank" one is important.

2. Steve Pitman's "Virtual ADAM", the front end for ADAMem, allows you to actually "print" documents, although this feature might be unknown to some people. If you use SmartWriter or another application to print your work in Virtual ADAM, the document is actually printed to a text file. Clicking on the picture of the printer that is displayed within the emulator brings up a directory of the files you have printed. This would be another nice feature for the Phoenix ADAM core.

I am somewhat curious about the ADAM Computer core that is being developed. I hope whoever is doing it is knowledgeable about the machine and it won't just be based off something like the ADAMem emulator which is available (and has its shortcomings). Since the Phoenix will allow you to hookup a keyboard, it can basically become a replacement for the ADAM, but there are several things I would consider important to include.

1.) It needs to support two disk and two data drives and have the ability for you to "swap" disks (or data pack) images. If you run an application, you don't really want to save your work back to that disk or ddp, so the ability to swap our that disk or ddp for a "blank" one is important.

2. Steve Pitman's "Virtual ADAM", the front end for ADAMem, allows you to actually "print" documents, although this feature might be unknown to some people. If you use SmartWriter or another application to print your work in Virtual ADAM, the document is actually printed to a text file. Clicking on the picture of the printer that is displayed within the emulator brings up a directory of the files you have printed. This would be another nice feature for the Phoenix ADAM core.

Our programmer know his stuff, so there's no worries to have here

Yes, the plan is to have the keyboard support

No, you won't be able to print anything out of it, why would you anyway?

• Like 1

There are lots of disk images with SmartWriter files, instructions, and other documents on them.

Our programmer know his stuff, so there's no worries to have here
Yes, the plan is to have the keyboard support

You sir, are obviously not an original ADAM owner. All these documents are like holy scriptures and ancient writings to us. They are to be treasured.

But...not a deal breaker...I will still order a Phoenix within the next month or so.

I'm aware of that, but still..... what's the point of using those nowadays?

You sir, are obviously not an original ADAM owner. All these documents are like holy scriptures and ancient writings to us. They are to be treasured.

But...not a deal breaker...I will still order a Phoenix within the next month or so.

I do own an ADAM, but I didn't had one back in the days, I grew up with a 286

If those documents are gold to ADAM fans, why aren't you printing them with your actual ADAM daisy wheel printer?

There's much more better way to preserve those documents than having the possibility to print them using the Phoenix

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

Printer ribbons are scarce these days...when I find something of interest, I print it using Virtual ADAM on my laser printer.

I'm an original ADAM owner, but still learning things after 30+ years.

The Phoenix doing anything "ADAM" will be welcome!!!

I do own an ADAM, but I didn't had one back in the days, I grew up with a 286

If those documents are gold to ADAM fans, why aren't you printing them with your actual ADAM daisy wheel printer?
There's much more better way to preserve those documents than having the possibility to print them using the Phoenix

Printer ribbons are scarce these days...when I find something of interest, I print it using Virtual ADAM on my laser printer.

I'm an original ADAM owner, but still learning things after 30+ years.

The Phoenix doing anything "ADAM" will be welcome!!!

Anyway, I think you guys should just print those documents, scans them and make a PDF out of those

Voilà! Preserved! :)

• Like 1

Retroillucid... if the person who would be or might be developing the Adam core for the Phoenix needs any help or suggestions, please let me know. I would also recommend that he contacts Geoff Oltmans seeings as he has done a lot of work over the years improving Adamem as well as adding new features and hardware support.

I understand what Joe is saying re. a print option and hopefully something could be worked out. If not, thankfully there are numerous ways to access these files or convert them for use with DOS and Windows programs. Where there is a will or a need, there is a way.

Retroillucid... if the person who would be or might be developing the Adam core for the Phoenix needs any help or suggestions, please let me know. I would also recommend that he contacts Geoff Oltmans seeings as he has done a lot of work over the years improving Adamem as well as adding new features and hardware support.

Sounds good, I'll put you in contact with him once we're ready

Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Little update:

We've received the first batch of Phoenix system's shells

They came up pretty well!

Right now, we're currently working on the console's stickers:

- CollectoVision Phoenix (Black unit)
The stickers will match the ones on the stock ColecoVision system

- CollectorVision Phoenix (Beige ADAM unit)
The stickers will match the ones on the ADAM Computer

We'll post pictures of both unit with their stickers ASAP

The best is yet to come!

• Like 11

Little update:

We've received the first batch of Phoenix system's shells

They came up pretty well!

Right now, we're currently working on the console's stickers:

- CollectoVision Phoenix (Black unit)

The stickers will match the ones on the stock ColecoVision system

- CollectorVision Phoenix (Beige ADAM unit)

The stickers will match the ones on the ADAM Computer

We'll post pictures of both unit with their stickers ASAP

The best is yet to come!

So how's the hardware under the hood coming along? Is it considered finalized, or are there any kinks left to iron out?

• Like 1

I have a question for the game wafer pack series. What is the timeline for these games? Will there be some available when the console has the full rollout in June/July? Can you let us know which games you are working on in this series?

One of them is Venture DX (Deluxe)

I should post more informations about the Wafer Series next Spring

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll buy once an actual product exists as long as it will run everything ADAM.

If I did have one request it would be to be able to place a rom on an SD card and run it directly without having to inject it into some program like copycart.

I've been finding that developing a rom on a real ADAM to be quite the pain.

Edited by Mike Harris