IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Pre-Order is now live!

Bmack36

Is it possible that we can stop with this exclusive use of SD Cards?

If you guys are smart enough to get this far then there would be no reason why you couldn't have some built in flash ram that emulates a disk/hard or whatever drive on the ADAMnet that you can access with a long USB cable connected to your PC

Put it this way, if you were looking for "investors" and came to me, then I would emphasize that request.

BTW, I am retired and have some beer money if you need investors but we would have to discuss that on more private channels.

I believe in the project because the Coleco ADAM has a special place in my heart and despite being able to do everything here on an emulator and save the desk space I think this has a place in history as being the true evolution of ADAM if Coleco continued the series.

What I would do is use it as a development kit.
If I had to request that you have a development version with an Assembly language programing manual. Maybe even update the EOS and make EOS 8? 9? that is backward compatible but has functions for the SGM and any banked memory, drives???

Why can't this be the next gen ADAM?

Fully backwards compatible, updated OS, updated graphics and sound, GUI? The ability to increase the CPU speed for more complicated games and learning software. With a proper IDE to make brand new software that is not ports from MSX.

And if you can't sell it as a Coleco product with a LOGO then make it a brand new nostalgia product with Coleco compatibility.

If you want to release this and then work on a separate product with my ideas then we could chit chat about that as well.

Someone with insider info PM me so we can talk. I am 100% on the level with this.

Edited by Mike Harris

Have the stickers come in yet? I would love to see the difference between the black console and the Adam colored console.

We've been a bit slow down due the China's New Year

But we're getting through it

We should have more news in the upcomming days/weeks

Yes, the best is yet to come!

Instead of skimming and looking for answers I need to know one extremely important selling point for me.

Will this be able to launch Coleco Roms directly from the SD card without having to inject them in some kind of Copycart wrapper.

I mentioned this before but my focus is on developing games to run on an actual device instead of an emulator on a computer.

I would also think it would be 100% cycle, NMI correct with setting that would look like raster screen.

Those are important because when I tried out my first Coleco game on a real system it was an eye opener.

Instead of skimming and looking for answers I need to know one extremely important selling point for me.

Will this be able to launch Coleco Roms directly from the SD card without having to inject them in some kind of Copycart wrapper.

I mentioned this before but my focus is on developing games to run on an actual device instead of an emulator on a computer.

I would also think it would be 100% cycle, NMI correct with setting that would look like raster screen.

Those are important because when I tried out my first Coleco game on a real system it was an eye opener.

post-39059-0-17136300-1551830674_thumb.jpg

Thank you for that "BOLD" response.

No one needs your toy to run games when they can do it better on an emulator in 4k.
I need an easier way to test MY games.

I think at this point people are giving you guys hassles over branding your Consoles and not the games you port from MSX.

An SD card slot is be a problem. I suggest to remove it.

Developpers can buy flash cartridges to test their works.

Of course, put any copyrighted games in flash cartridges are still illegal but again, they have to pay flash cartridges first.

SD cards are too easy to play copyrighted games.

Edited by Serguei2

Thank you for that "BOLD" response.

No one needs your toy to run games when they can do it better on an emulator in 4k.

I need an easier way to test MY games.

I think at this point people are giving you guys hassles over branding your Consoles and not the games you port from MSX.

Just to be clear, that response was from a fellow forum member just trying to help answer your question not anyone from CollectorVision.

The games can be loaded from the sd card. There is no compiling into a program necessary as the loader rom reads the files off of the sd card and displays the directory to the user.

Of course, put any copyrighted games in flash cartridges are still illegal but again, they have to pay flash cartridges first.

An SD card slot is just one of dozens of ways to run copyrighted software. There's no putting that genie back in the bottle. No reason to limit new creations to maintain a mere illusion of propriety in our hobby. There should be enough people in our hobby who are willing to support creators with purchases to make up for the unavoidable abusers.

• Like 5

As a businessman and a consumer I will be very blunt that removing your SD Card, or as a hypothetical, block running of roms, your are going to kill this project and limit the sales.

I never understood outside of a licensing aspect why producers such as Sony, Western Digital and others lock features of their products only to find someone hacks them to work again.

As I am not the author of this machine I can not dictate it's direction but if I did I would be in a parallel direction but design bigger with USB ports, Wifi access, advanced graphics and sound. Make it the next generation ADAM but unfortunately you do not hold the license to Coleco which is unfortunate because we have an opportunity.

Then again, I am just some guy that has a deep passion for the Colecovision over all other consoles that ever hit the market and if I had the smarts I would use my capital to finance the next gen retro console that anyone can use, create games and share them freely.

We are here to have fun guys and when you lose that passion then why bother.

An SD card slot is just one of dozens of ways to run copyrighted software. There's no putting that genie back in the bottle. No reason to limit new creations to maintain a mere illusion of propriety in our hobby. There should be enough people in our hobby who are willing to support creators with purchases to make up for the unavoidable abusers.

To give foundation to your statement you guys don't know the loyalty of this community so I will share that.

I have yet to find in any of my searches, forums, usenet, torrent or any other ANY collectorvision or homebrew game that has not been released to the community through PD means. That is not saying someone makes a personal copy then sells their games on ebay but people collect these things for more than just the game, the box, the instructions so locking down the system would be a slap in the face.

BTW, my first couple games are PD learning curve for me and freely available when ready.

Once I start selling something I can assure you I have legal means to protect my investment.
It wouldn't be fair to those who paid and limits the quality of my future games.

As a matter of fact, can someone PM me if there are any "inside" literature for sale or programing guides for the SGM, Collectorvision and what not.

Edited by Mike Harris

So, is this going to be compatible with SGM2 :P On a similar note, I'm curious what makes this system so appealing to upgrade and modify. Is it because it's relatively easy to do hardware wise or is it just enthusiasm from the fans driving these things. I think it's really interesting. I haven't really seen any other systems getting this kind of upgrade treatment from it's fans outside of HDMI.

On a similar note, I'm curious what makes this system so appealing to upgrade and modify. Is it because it's relatively easy to do hardware wise or is it just enthusiasm from the fans driving these things. I think it's really interesting. I haven't really seen any other systems getting this kind of upgrade treatment from it's fans outside of HDMI.

The front expansion port on the ColecoVision console is explicitly designed to receive expansion modules like the SGM, and the architecture is designed in such a way that every single native component can be overridden via the pins of the expansion port. This is what makes the Atari 2600 module and the ADAM module possible.

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 1

So, is this going to be compatible with SGM2 :P On a similar note, I'm curious what makes this system so appealing to upgrade and modify. Is it because it's relatively easy to do hardware wise or is it just enthusiasm from the fans driving these things. I think it's really interesting. I haven't really seen any other systems getting this kind of upgrade treatment from it's fans outside of HDMI.

The F18a video and graphics upgrade is a result of the colecovision having the same graphics chip as the TI-99/4a. The SGM2 is more of a new platform than a colecovision upgrade.

CollectorVision Phoenix Production Update:
https://collectorvision.com/…/cole…/collectorvision-phoenix/

-We have already received the molded cases for the early access systems in both the standard black and Adam colors
-The front labels for the system should be done in the next week or two.
-Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death Game is complete and tested. Manufacturing will start soon.
-We will be sending out emails to Early Access customers to get their case color preference and name/handle to be listed in the Manual
-Production has started on the PCBs and I was on-site to verify the first article boards were working.

-Unfortunately, due to a delay in the board production we will not be able to ship in March like we had hoped. We are still aiming to get the Early Access systems shipped in April.

-The last chance to get your name in the manual for Early Access will be Monday March 18th. You can still purchase Early Access systems after that, you will just not get your name in the manual as we have to start production of the manual.

post-45248-0-50323300-1552012028_thumb.jpg

post-45248-0-18566100-1552012003_thumb.jpg

post-45248-0-18809700-1552012012_thumb.jpg

post-45248-0-13061300-1552012017_thumb.jpg

post-45248-0-66586300-1552012022_thumb.jpg

post-45248-0-66491200-1552012035_thumb.jpg

post-45248-0-11523000-1552011991_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

CollectorVision Phoenix Production Update:

https://collectorvision.com/…/cole…/collectorvision-phoenix/

-We have already received the molded cases for the early access systems in both the standard black and Adam colors

-The front labels for the system should be done in the next week or two.

-Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death Game is complete and tested. Manufacturing will start soon.

-We will be sending out emails to Early Access customers to get their case color preference and name/handle to be listed in the Manual

-Production has started on the PCBs and I was on-site to verify the first article boards were working.

-Unfortunately, due to a delay in the board production we will not be able to ship in March like we had hoped. We are still aiming to get the Early Access systems shipped in April.

-The last chance to get your name in the manual for Early Access will be Monday March 18th. You can still purchase Early Access systems after that, you will just not get your name in the manual as we have to start production of the manual.

If it comes down to it, May and glitch free is preferable to April and rushed out the door. :)