IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Pre-Order is now live!

Bmack36

Question regarding the Phoenix system:

Will it run all of the Super Game ROM images from an SD card?

It depends on the game size. The Phoenix only has 500k sram. Also some games have no known dumps. But it should run all games from cartridge. Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 1

Yes, although we strongly suggest to support the publishers (Opcode, Team Pixelboy et..)

That's great.

I have bought several Super Games from Pixelboy over the years.

But it will be nice (and convenient) to be able to play those Super Games (via ROM on SD card) on the Phoenix.

It depends on the game size. The Phoenix only has 500k sram. Also some games have no known dumps. But it should run all games from cartridge.

To my uninformed mind, this doesn't make sense. Isn't the SD card and the roms sitting on them simulating a cart? Why would the game size matter on SD card but not from cartridge? I own the old atarimax 132-1 cart, so I get why we can't place roms larger than 32k on there but this isn't a cart having to deal with limited bank slots, it's an SD card potentially containing a perfect rom dump of a real cart. I would hope the design of the phoenix doesn't contain any limitations in this regard.

For the record, I'm a digital type guy, don't care about new carts. That doesn't mean I don't care about the homebrew market. My growing C64 homebrew digital collection is proof of that, so hopefully no one is getting any ideas that I'm suggesting otherwise, it's actually totally irrelevant to my tech question ;)

It would be very difficult to emulate a cartridge with an sd-card. The rom file has to be copied to memory that's compatible with the colecovision data/address bus. The atarimax multi-cart does the same thing and also has a 512kB limitation. You could add another 512kB sram chip but that also makes it more expensive.

Edited by mr_me

• 2 weeks later...

post-45248-0-68758700-1555907799_thumb.png

CollectorVision Phoenix Update:

-We have implemented the bootloader to allow loading and updating of different cores on the system.

-The system has been tested to work with the Roller Controller, and Super Action controller Spinner functions. The roller controller requires a separate power supply to work. The original ColecoVision power supply and the ColUSB have both been tested and allow the Roller Controller to work on the Phoenix. A separate adapter is planned for a later date to allow the roller controller to be powered from the expansion port.

-The Atari 2600 core is coming along nicely. It is working through the HDMI output and we will have some video demonstrating it soon.

-We are down to our last Ultimate Phoenix available, for those who might be interested.

-We have received most of the parts for the system (the Cases, PCBs, power supplies, controller, cables, etc.), but unfortunately the Labels, pack in game, and system manual manufacturing are taking a little longer then expected. We are hoping to have the labels and pack in game finished by the end of the month, which would allow us to ship sometime in May.

We apologize for the delay in getting the Early Access systems shipped out, but we want to make sure the system is done properly instead of trying to rush it out to meet a deadline.

post-45248-0-57019200-1555907786_thumb.jpg

post-45248-0-64792500-1555907807_thumb.png

post-45248-0-45128600-1555907817_thumb.png

• Like 8

We are hoping to have the labels and pack in game finished by the end of the month, which would allow us to ship sometime in May.

We apologize for the delay in getting the Early Access systems shipped out, but we want to make sure the system is done properly instead of trying to rush it out to meet a deadline.

What about us regular punters who were originally getting them in June which then got delayed to July a while back? Is it now delayed to August? Say it isn't so. Edited by insertclevernamehere

What about us regular punters who were originally getting them in June which then got delayed to July a while back? Is it now delayed to August? Say it isn't so.

It's all about the firmware, cores and proper testing

We already have all the parts in hands (minus the labels, manuals)

We're going to ship during all the summer and probably till fall

Everything should be good once all Early Access Systems will be all shipped :)

• Like 1

It's all about the firmware, cores and proper testing

We already have all the parts in hands (minus the labels, manuals)

We're going to ship during all the summer and probably till fall

Everything should be good once all Early Access Systems will be all shipped :)

Fair enough. I appreciate that given you're a small operation that it will take time to get all the orders out. I guess that once you get to the standard preorders, you still have a fair system in place regarding the sequence in which they are sent out, i.e. in the order that people preordered and yes, you guessed it, I ordered early. First day I think. I'm just really excited to get one!

(My only edit was to change one of my excessive uses of the word "order" to "sequence". All those "order" words were driving me nuts when I read it back to myself after posting!)

Edited by insertclevernamehere
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just curious if you got in the labels, pack-in game and system manuals that you were expecting by the end of last month? I realize even with those in, it can take a while to put everything together and have the firmware mature enough to ship, so just curious if the likelihood is still this month for shipping :)

The Labels have been ordered and we are waiting for them to arrive. The pack in game is still being manufactured. The manual is running a little behind as we are waiting for the system core menu to be finalized for documentation which should be finished this week. We are still hoping for May release at the moment.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, G8rDuc said:

Wow...this is just a little "behind." Not encouraging for those that were on the fence about paying or not.

Welcome to the world of homebrewers hardware. In this world, you are lucky if the hardware ever gets shipped at all. 

• Like 1