IGNORED

How Should I Keep Track of Your Game Collection?

I recently got to that point where I was interested in getting game only to realize I already had it in my collection. So I'm in desperate need to get an app, computer software or something to catalog the games I have and get useful information like the price I paid for it, the platforms it's available on and so forth. So what can you recommend or what do you use personally? I've heard about an awesome app everyone keeps mentioning, but it's Mac exclusive. Some collectors swear by Excel spreadsheets, but I forgot how to use it. Maybe it's worth learning how to make spreadsheets again and add all the information manually? Some other people like an Android app called GAMEYE, but I have no idea if it's worth adding my collection there or not. I'm looking for something reliable and light that I can have with me at all times (on my phone, tablet or whatever.) So what comes to mind?

How to keep track of your new topic submissions...

But, to speak to the topic, I have tried several times to start something, but I'm bad about keeping up with it. You name it, Word, Excel, online sites (one called VGCollect was the most recent), but I just lose interest in doing it after a while. My collection is still pretty small that I know pretty well whether I have a game or not. It helps that I mostly only get games I plan on playing. I don't collect just for the sake of collecting and have zero interest in getting a full set of anything.

Originally for years as old DOS style TXT file. Then I started hand doing an HTML file I still keep up to date, but now being lazy I use kompozer which is a continuation of the old netscape navigator/mozilla html creating/publishing tool and have expanded it to multiple pages by platform. Easy to use on my phone or computer, never have to worry about making a double purchase, or in the case of guides, manga, etc missing out on not buying a gap in some set of volumes I have that's incomplete.

• Like 1

A spreadsheet, obviously ... Google Docs is free and easy.

Here are some templates to get started

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/5rnfko/game_collecting_spreadsheet_is_ready_for_use/

There are probably smart gimmicks like scanners or photo eyes that can match up pictures with database entries, but you might as well do the data entry yourself, if you care enough about these things to catalog them, handling things would be a pleasure.

My stuff just lives in great heaps all over the place. It's a major reason why I prefer digital, everything just lines up and there's no sagging shelves, fear of dry rot, etc.

• Like 1

A spreadsheet, obviously ... Google Docs is free and easy.

Here are some templates to get started

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/5rnfko/game_collecting_spreadsheet_is_ready_for_use/

There are probably smart gimmicks like scanners or photo eyes that can match up pictures with database entries, but you might as well do the data entry yourself, if you care enough about these things to catalog them, handling things would be a pleasure.

My stuff just lives in great heaps all over the place. It's a major reason why I prefer digital, everything just lines up and there's no sagging shelves, fear of dry rot, etc.

That actually looks pretty cool. It would need to be modded to heck to fit my needs but, a very nice starting point. It will sum up your value of your collection. It would be something nice to show the wife so she would let me continue collecting (taking up space) seeing value and not thinking they are just toys.

When settting up consoles, I want all the details, type, model, serial number, A/V type, 2 or less controllers, even some notes...

To what you said, I don't mind digital in some cases but, when Microsoft or Nintendo gives up on title or Xbox live dies, PSN, etc.(10 years+) Your digital games could be gone for ever.

That Atari 2600 game of Adventure, 50 years from now (as long as their is not rot to the cart), I could find a TV to plug it in and I can play it(if still alive), or my kids could play it... Odds are those 20 year old games will not be available in digital.

Edited by TheCoolDave

Sorry this topic was submitted three times guys! I wanted to edit the topic's name and I had no idea they'd come up as three different ones after the editing process. If there's any way to delete them let me know and I'll keep the most popular one.

Re the "new title,"

How Should I Keep Track of Your Game Collection?

You don't. Keep your eyes on your own game collection.

That actually looks pretty cool. It would need to be modded to heck to fit my needs but, a very nice starting point. It will sum up your value of your collection. It would be something nice to show the wife so she would let me continue collecting (taking up space) seeing value and not thinking they are just toys.

The best thing you can do with your junk is keep it neat and clean. Then the wife is less likely to complain. My old bag was also an arcade go'er back in the day, so I don't have any problems unless I haul craigslist junk inside the house.

The best thing you can do with your junk is keep it neat and clean. Then the wife is less likely to complain. My old bag was also an arcade go'er back in the day, so I don't have any problems unless I haul craigslist junk inside the house.

I feel like there should be a thread about how not to make wives angry if you collect video games...

• Like 1

I feel like there should be a thread about how not to make wives angry if you collect video games...

You just need to put it in perspective. Your lady takes how much of the closet space? Does she like to get new shoes / earrings / bags when she has hundreds already? Well, it's the same drive with our stuff.

Of course, I am not making excuses for extreme hoarders either. Don't make guests have to jump over cables, piles of carts and magazines, dodging last week's pizza box...