IGNORED

Fun Projects for Your Atari 8-Bit Computer

scitari

I have been quietly working on a web page called Atari Projects that presents small projects for Atari 8-bit computers that can be completed in 15-60 mins (a few longer). My goal is to make it easy for Atari owners to have fun with their machines. Each post is self-contained and a kind of how-to with step-by-step instructions. The web page was featured in the news section (at time 48 mins) of the ANTIC Atari podcast (episode 54). The cat is now out of the bag. Thanks to the ANTIC crew for the mention. Let me know if you have project ideas. There are about 30 posts there now. I hope to make it to at least 50 posts.

• Like 18

I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks now :) so i got a lot of catching up to do... i've already seen a lot of programs, hardware mods and SIO addons, but what i don't see is hardware to interface with, expansion boards with analog and/or digital in/outputs. I would like to use my 600XL as a sort of Arduino... anyone got a link to such hardware?

• Like 1

I have an Axlon Andy robot and am definitely planning a post on him. I also want to do some modern robotics with the Atari. Have been looking into that but it isn't easy.

Analog issues 44 and 45 have a 2 part article about connecting a RadioShack Armitron robot arm to your Atari...part 1 is for all Atari's, part 2 requires 3-joystick ports so limited to 400/800 machines...unless it can be modified to use a multi-joy...

I'm actually going to start a DIY robot project in the near future, combining the guts of Andy robot along with an Armitron or similar, and a 400 mobo into a new robot chasis for a totally independent robot that can actually do stuff!

• Like 3

Analog issues 44 and 45 have a 2 part article about connecting a RadioShack Armitron robot arm to your Atari...part 1 is for all Atari's, part 2 requires 3-joystick ports so limited to 400/800 machines...unless it can be modified to use a multi-joy...

I'm actually going to start a DIY robot project in the near future, combining the guts of Andy robot along with an Armitron or similar, and a 400 mobo into a new robot chasis for a totally independent robot that can actually do stuff!

Sweet! Be sure and post updates.

• Like 1

I have been quietly working on a web page called Atari Projects that presents small projects for Atari 8-bit computers that can be completed in 15-60 mins (a few longer).

Your page is great! Thanks for compiling this. Might be able to persuade my (sometimes) Atari-using son to try some of your ideas.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been restoring my 1020 plotter and yes, the little tiny gears are cracked, I'm glad the project page posts a link to replacements, I didn't know where else I could get them, I was going to check with Best and B&C, but this instant ordering is a lot easier than e-mails back and forth. Cool! Not to mention I think it's safer to buy new 3D printed gears rather than NOS replacements that are probably just as brittle as the ones I am replacing, considering they have been on a shelf for 30+ years!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...