IGNORED

Anyone have experience with the UltiMem VIC-20 Memory Expansion Cart?

chicgamer

Okay, cool. I can't find anything on YouTube about it other than a recording of a presentation Jim did. That seems weird to me, because I see multiple videos for the PenUltimate Cartridge, but the UltiMem offers more for a lower price (unless I don't have a full understanding of each cart, which is quite possible).

I believe the Ultimem is more of a DIY solution, something akin to the Final Expansion 3 in that you get plenty of capacity to work with, but you need to invest some time to fill it, while the Penultimate cartridge to a larger degree seems prefilled with content and thus applies to more everyday users.

• Like 1

It was several years ago I soldered my FE3, and though it is functional, I've never got to use it. From what I understand, it got 512K of Flash which can be programmed with any programs of your choice. I believe SkydivinGirl (Heather, also on the forum) still might be manufacturing those, as a possible alternative product with a slightly bigger user base.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

+1 on the FE3.

The unit allows you to add your own ROMs, as well as providing 3K, 16K, 24K and 35K expansion options.

Also it includes an SD card reader which can be configured as any device number, and also soft and hard reset buttons. You can also add ROMs to the SD card using a configuration file, that then allows those ROMs to be loaded from the menu.

My only complaint would be that the user-added ROMs are not alphabetically sorted, and changing the programmed ROMs meaning wiping it completely and reprogramming.