IGNORED

Review of Dark Chambers for 7800

gorfcadet

Your getting Publisher and development teams a little mixed up.

Gremlin Graphics handled the 8 bit home micro versions, which US Gold published.

Tiertex handled the Sega Master System version which US Gold published.

Kevin Bulmer and Tony Porter for Tiertex.

Jason Perkins

Stuart Greg

Alex Thirlwall

Kevin Bulmer

Bill Allen

Bob Armour

Ben Daglish

For Gremlin.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Your getting Publisher and development teams a little mixed up.

Gremlin Graphics handled the 8 bit home micro versions, which US Gold published.

Tiertex handled the Sega Master System version which US Gold published.

Kevin Bulmer and Tony Porter for Tiertex.

Jason Perkins

Stuart Greg

Alex Thirlwall

Kevin Bulmer

Bill Allen

Bob Armour

Ben Daglish

For Gremlin.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. :)

;-) Hope it didn't come across the wrong way.

UK Gauntlet is something of a sore point for myself.

After all the hype in Atari User and C+VG, i purchased the A8 version on tape no less and..whilst i put a brave face on it..it being a full price release, it wasn't what i had hoped for.

I later picked up the C64 version expecting better things and whilst it was an improvement, it was bugged to hell.

I later purchased Gauntlet II on C64 then ST but it wasn't until Tengen brought us Genesis Gauntlet IV i found a Gauntlet game to my liking.

I had more enjoyment out of the clones than official conversions on the home micros.

Phantom A8

Druid and Druid II C64

Avenger C64 Gremlin Graphics

Edited by Lost Dragon

I don't really see this as being much of a Gauntlet clone.

In my book, Gauntlet/Dandy is all about hordes of enemies.

:-)) It might be a UK thing (though it's sometimes referred to as a variant):

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=022&page=030&thumbstart=0&magazine=zzap&check=1

Not sure if Into The Eagles Nest is a true clone either, but loved that as well.

I think they are classed as clones due to the overhead perspective, maze like environments..need to find keys to progress etc, rather than the hordes of enemies.

;-) Hope it didn't come across the wrong way.

UK Gauntlet is something of a sore point for myself.

After all the hype in Atari User and C+VG, i purchased the A8 version on tape no less and..whilst i put a brave face on it..it being a full price release, it wasn't what i had hoped for.

I later picked up the C64 version expecting better things and whilst it was an improvement, it was bugged to hell.

I later purchased Gauntlet II on C64 then ST but it wasn't until Tengen brought us Genesis Gauntlet IV i found a Gauntlet game to my liking.

I had more enjoyment out of the clones than official conversions on the home micros.

Phantom A8

Druid and Druid II C64

Avenger C64 Gremlin Graphics

Tengen's Gauntlet IV has an unfair advantage over all of the other versions because Tengen used original source code from arcade Gauntlet in it since they were Atari Games. That wasn't available to the folks who designed the highly-praised Atari ST version even though they wanted it. And then Tengen improved upon it further and added the "NES Quest" Mode in addition to the arcade original version.

What's a damn shame is Atari Corp didn't get Atari Games/Tengen to port that version over to the Jaguar. That would've kicked so much more a$$ as the console pack-in than Cybermorph did [errr, didn't]...

@Lynxpro:I'm not sure i would say it was an unfair advantage of Tengen to have the source code.

As a UK gamer, i grew up with 8 and 16 bit conversions where the conversion teams were denied actual source code, might of been given the coin op graphics at best, but were usually either lent an arcade cabinet to use during the conversion or given footage on VHS tape or simply went down to the arcades armed with a camcorder and cassette recorder...1 of the team played..The rest recorded.

The comprises the team producing Gauntlet for US Gold made and why have been well documented.

The speech sounded awful and took up too much memory, colour was chosen over detail, the ST had no hardware scrolling etc.

There was also no excuse for US GOLD to try and fob customers off trying to pass the various bugs in the game off as 'features'.

As a reader of Zzap64, which praised the C64 version, the letters bag was full of angry readers who felt they had been conned.

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=023&page=014&magazine=zzap

2 full pages of the magazine devoted to angry customers along with the excuses US GOLD were giving people when they rang the hot line.

People had paid £15 for the disk version.That's a lot of cash for am 8 bit home micro version.

Deadlines simply meant the game was rushed out to sell on the back of it's name and sell it indeed did.

I detailed the battle between US GOLD and Activision to secure the licence some time ago.Having the source code would of done little to overcome the inherent hardware issues faced when bringing Gauntlet to the most popular UK machines.

Edited by Lost Dragon

:-)) It might be a UK thing (though it's sometimes referred to as a variant):

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=022&page=030&thumbstart=0&magazine=zzap&check=1

OK, well, I guess I don't share his opinion about the classification of this game.

Not sure if Into The Eagles Nest is a true clone either, but loved that as well.

In my book it is, because It's got hoards of enemies...

I think they are classed as clones due to the overhead perspective, maze like environments..need to find keys to progress etc, rather than the hordes of enemies.

You can find those things in any type of dungeon-crawler of the era. With that idea,

just about any dungeon game could be called Gauntlet. It makes more sense to give

it a little more specific definition than that. If you look at Dandy and Gauntlet, the main

thing that defines them as game is the hoards of enemies, not all those other generic

qualities.

I think many of us the press included over the years, fall into the trap of using a generic phrase to describe a game.

The word clone is used rather than the more descriptive variation.

Some of the worst examples might be games like Cobra Command on Sega CD and Cybermorph on Jaguar being referred to as Starfox clones, games couldn't be more different. ;-)

I think in the case of games being labelled Gauntlet Clones here in the UK, is that it was simply so well known, where as Dandy by comparison was quite obscure.

What's your thoughts on likes of:

Demon Stalkers (E.A) often referred to as a Gauntlet clone, but with more depth and less monsters..

Gotham (Firebird) described as a bland Gauntlet clone,again more depth, but less monsters.

I think in the case of games being labelled Gauntlet Clones here in the UK, is that it was simply so well known, where as Dandy by comparison was quite obscure.

I understand the thinking, but I just don't find it a very useful way to classify these types of games.

I know Dandy was obscure (I didn't even know about it until the last 15 years). The reason I mention

it is because it's the genesis of the genre. Dandy itself was more of a generic game. So, then the

question is, what was the main quality that made Dandy and Gauntlet different than other games?

What's your thoughts on likes of:

Demon Stalkers (E.A) often referred to as a Gauntlet clone, but with more depth and less monsters..

Gotham (Firebird) described as a bland Gauntlet clone,again more depth, but less monsters.

Demon Stalkers, yes...

Gothik (you typed "Gotham"), no...