IGNORED

Atari 5200 Composite Mod kit

bszarek001

I haven't ordered it myself as I haven't any 5200 commision work currently that would need it. But I've spoken to others in the console modding realm who have recently ordered and received the 5200 s-vid and composite kit from ElectronicSentimentalities as recent as just a month or so ago?

Then you don't likely want to AV mod your 5200. I've not tested the VCS adapter with the UAV in place, but I can tell you without doubt that a VCS adapter will not work with the electronicsentimentalities board kit in place since you have to lift and connect pins directly off the GTIA to the mod board. As a result the RF and the rest of the video circuit in the 5200 isn't used since the mod board replaces all of that with new composite and s-video outputs. So the VCS adapter is a no go. I've not tested it with a UAV but the UAV sits in the middle of the circuit and still allows the stock video circuit to do its thing through to the RF modulator. 

Anyone tested a VCS with a UAV in place?

20 hours ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

Then you don't likely want to AV mod your 5200. I've not tested the VCS adapter with the UAV in place, but I can tell you without doubt that a VCS adapter will not work with the electronicsentimentalities board kit in place since you have to lift and connect pins directly off the GTIA to the mod board. As a result the RF and the rest of the video circuit in the 5200 isn't used since the mod board replaces all of that with new composite and s-video outputs. So the VCS adapter is a no go. I've not tested it with a UAV but the UAV sits in the middle of the circuit and still allows the stock video circuit to do its thing through to the RF modulator. 

Anyone tested a VCS with a UAV in place?

I can send a VCS adapter with my atari if anyone is interested in testing the UAV with it.

Edited by Krispy3371
adding notfy

3 hours ago, Krispy3371 said:

I can send a VCS adapter with my atari if anyone is interested in testing the UAV with it.

My personal 5200 is modded with Joe's board in it as I did that several years ago. But I haven't any 5200s sent to me for UAV work in some time else I'd be happy to check it out. I had thought about working with Magic Knight's 7800 s-video board to see if it can be adapted to the 5200 as well since quite a few of the video taps are nearly the same as that of the 7800, but I just haven't had the time lately.

Hi there, I decided to hookup my atari 5200. I picked up like 20 good arcade type games, cheap from craigslist. 

Does anyone here have time to mod my 2 port atari 5200, so it can output composite output (svideo would be nice, but isnt necessary). Gosh anything is better than RF.

I mean the RF signal actually looks amazingly good on the Sony 27" trinitron consumer TV.  But it seems like it gets interference while playing games, which doesnt really surprise me too much. Sometimes I can play a few times and it doesnt glitch out with RF interference. But many times it does.

And having composite would resolve any of those in-game glitches.

PM me if you have time and we can discuss the project! 

THANKS

Edited by argniest

4 hours ago, argniest said:

Does anyone here have time to mod my 2 port atari 5200, so it can output composite output (svideo would be nice, but isnt necessary). Gosh anything is better than RF.

PM me if you have time and we can discuss the project! 

THANKS

Send me a PM if you are really interested in having this done.

9 minutes ago, Krispy3371 said:

PM myself as well.

Also interested if anyone can mod my vcs adapter to take in 7800 games

I can mod 5200s, but I wouldn't be able to help with modifications to a VCS adapter.

11 hours ago, Krispy3371 said:

Can the Atari 5200 be RGB modded?

I've not done it myself but I've heard that the Sophia mod board that is available for the 8-bit computer line can be put into a 5200 as well. It provides a VGA output signal I believe and from there you can use various converters as needed. Again, I've not installed that particular mod myself as the s-video I get from my 5200 into my Extron is excellent!

2 minutes ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

I've not done it myself but I've heard that the Sophia mod board that is available for the 8-bit computer line can be put into a 5200 as well. It provides a VGA output signal I believe and from there you can use various converters as needed. Again, I've not installed that particular mod myself as the s-video I get from my 5200 into my Extron is excellent!

-^Cro§Bow^-

If I go the S video route. What's a good video monitor/tv to use. I don't want a big crt. Is there a good modern alternative?

For many years I was just using one of the cheap composite/S-video to HDMI converters to my AV receiver and it did the job well. My TV allowed me to change the aspect on HDMI signals so I was able to still go into 4:3 aspect even though the converter didn't. It did introduce about 4 - 6 frames of lag using this setup but it was good enough for me at the time. I now have all of my analog stuff (Mainly s-video and composite) going into an Extron 7SC. It accepts pretty much all analog video signals, upscales and converts everything out in RGBHV (VGA). I then have that connected to AV3 of my OSSC directly and then to the TV. 

With the exception of the OSSC the rest of the equipment I got for cheap. My extron 7SC was about $45 shipped from Goodwill, the remote was another $10 from ebay (Don't really need it though), and then the other cables and connectors I had to buy to connect everything ran me about another $50 thereabouts plus my time in wiring it all up and soldering in my RCA inputs from the phoenix adapters off the Extron. 

But if you are okay with the lag that is introduced and don't plan to play any twitch games on the 5200, then just going s-video from the 5200 into a converter to provide you with HDMI out is likely the cheapest route to go for now.

All I can say is, for anyone that's considering a mod, -^Cro§Bow^- is your man!  He recently modified one of my 7800's (with S-Video/Composite) and the transaction could not have gone better.  The work will speak for itself, and you will be blown away by his customer service. 

I recommend.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 3:56 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I haven't ordered it myself as I haven't any 5200 commision work currently that would need it. But I've spoken to others in the console modding realm who have recently ordered and received the 5200 s-vid and composite kit from ElectronicSentimentalities as recent as just a month or so ago?

Crossbow, would you be able to mod my four-port Atari 5200 with the ES kit if I order one from them? And is it also possible to mod it so that I don’t have to worry about the funky power/game switch thingie and huge power brick and can just use a regular power adapter instead? I’ve been dying to bring my 5200 up to at least 1985-level technology. :)

Edited by WaverBoy

11 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Crossbow, would you be able to mod my four-port Atari 5200 with the ES kit if I order one from them? And is it also possible to mod it so that I don’t have to worry about the funky power/game switch thingie and huge power brick and can just use a regular power adapter instead? I’ve been dying to bring my 5200 up to at least 1985-level technology. :)

Send me a PM about this please because that post was nearly a year ago, and from what I've heard recently... ES isn't in business or at least they haven't replied to any of my emails asking about their boards and I've heard others that had the same experience. So, for a 5200 the UAV is currently the best choice for composite and s-video or if you want DVI you can also go with the sophia board.

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Send me a PM about this please because that post was nearly a year ago, and from what I've heard recently... ES isn't in business or at least they haven't replied to any of my emails asking about their boards and I've heard others that had the same experience. So, for a 5200 the UAV is currently the best choice for composite and s-video or if you want DVI you can also go with the sophia board.

Looks like the ES mod boards are in stock on their website:

https://electronicsentimentalities.com/Assembled Mods.html

16 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Looks like the ES mod boards are in stock on their website:

https://electronicsentimentalities.com/Assembled Mods.html

Yes it looks that way, but people who have placed orders or sent emails asking about them actually being available do NOT get a reply back. I've love to know for sure as again I like some of these kits to offer in addition to UAVs etc...

If you look on the Home page link you will see that the last update there was over a year ago and I heard people had stopped hearing from him back last summer just a few months after the last batch of their 7800 boards went out.

1 hour ago, Krispy3371 said:

I would love to ship my atari 5200 to someone had have them try an s-video kit.

There is always the UAV for composite and s-video. I've done quite a few of those in both 2 and 4 port units and it produces excellent results! There is also the Sophia board that can be installed and that will allow you to use DVI output which, you can then easily convert to other video outputs from there.