IGNORED

Atari 5200 Composite Mod kit

bszarek001

The Sophia I believe can be purchased with one of two resolutions programmed for output...

yeap..looks like you can get it with 1526x960 or 1280x1024. It isn't cheap though at over $100 for the Sophia alone. The installation is just a matter of installing it in place of the GTIA and then running the needed wiring and installing the DVI jack somewhere on the case. Likely the expansion port cover plate would be my guess for the most popular place to route it to.

A complete UAV installation would cost about the same as the Sophia does for just the board in most cases though. And honestly, my 5200 on s-video produces the best s-video picture of any of my upgraded consoles so I do have to wonder how much better a Sophia could look?

19 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

A complete UAV installation would cost about the same as the Sophia does for just the board in most cases though. And honestly, my 5200 on s-video produces the best s-video picture of any of my upgraded consoles so I do have to wonder how much better a Sophia could look?

RGB output out of the SOPHIA looks gorgeous, I haven't looked back to S-video ever since.

2 minutes ago, ApolloBoy said:

RGB output out of the SOPHIA looks gorgeous, I haven't looked back to S-video ever since.

I've heard similar, but my TV in my game room doesn't accept DVI and would hate to have to use another converter in the mix. So again, for me the s-video looks stellar on my setup and I've not had a reason to want anything better from it.

10 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've heard similar, but my TV in my game room doesn't accept DVI and would hate to have to use another converter in the mix. So again, for me the s-video looks stellar on my setup and I've not had a reason to want anything better from it.

I have the analog SOPHIA, not the digital one that outputs DVI.

43 minutes ago, ApolloBoy said:

I have the analog SOPHIA, not the digital one that outputs DVI.

Does that one just provide a VGA output then? That is actually something I can use pretty easily with my setup. My Extron has a VGA input on it and it just acts as a passthru device to the OSSC in that case. Same deal with the OSSC is will basically just the signal on through the HDMI out without too much conversion required so VGA is a good option. 

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Does that one just provide a VGA output then? That is actually something I can use pretty easily with my setup. My Extron has a VGA input on it and it just acts as a passthru device to the OSSC in that case. Same deal with the OSSC is will basically just the signal on through the HDMI out without too much conversion required so VGA is a good option. 

It doesn't output VGA, but it does have RGB and component.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, aleomark said:

Hi guys, were i can find boards for mod av my atari 5200?

Depending on which AV mod you want, you basically have two options right now. The most common AV mod provides you really good results on both composite and s-video output using the UAV boards. Not too difficult to install on the 5200 either. You can get the UAV boards from The Brewing Academy here:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/ultimate-atari-video-uav

The other option as was discussed above, is to go with a Sophia board. I've not installed on of these, but I believe it basically just plugs in place of where the GTIA chip is located. I'm not sure where to order the Sophia boards currently but the older board came in two flavors with an analog RGB output and a digital DVI output options.

3 hours ago, aleomark said:

Thanks for your help, I”ll think about it

Keep in mind that if you mod your 5200, you lose the capability to use the VCS (2600) cartridge adapter for it, so think it over very carefully about the pros and cons of modding Big Sexy, you get a great picture but you lose the "2-in-1" advantage of being able to play 2600 games on it with the adapter. That is why I was FORCED to sell my a/v-modded 4-port here on AtariAge after finding out right here that she won't work with the adapter if you mod it.

That is why I myself own a 2-port unit un-modded (channel 3 RF through my Sony SLV-N51 VCR to composite out from the VCR) for that 2-in-1 advantage although I do not currently own a Harmony Encore for the adapter.

It's OK to mod your unit but please do keep what I just mentioned above in mind when making your final decision. Great picture, YES.

BTW does anyone know (for those who do want to mod theirs) if any HDMI kits will ever be available for Big Sexy. I DO also own a Flashback 9 also but it won't work with ARM-chip-equipped games (especially those from Champ Games) but it does put out a great picture through HDMI.

15 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

BTW does anyone know (for those who do want to mod theirs) if any HDMI kits will ever be available for Big Sexy. I DO also own a Flashback 9 also but it won't work with ARM-chip-equipped games (especially those from Champ Games) but it does put out a great picture through HDMI.

Closest thing you can do on this, is to install a Sophia with the DVI ouput and then use a DVI to HDMI adapter off it. We use them all the time at work for menu board displays as it is much cheaper to run HDMI cabling over longer distances than it is DVI cabling and then the adapters are basically passthrough.

That still doesn't get around the issue of the VCS adapter, but I've used one those before and I found it to be a pain to use honestly. So for as cheap as 2600s are, I don't see any reason that someone wouldn't just pick up a cheap 2600 to complement their 5200 if they really want to play 2600 games?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Closest thing you can do on this, is to install a Sophia with the DVI ouput and then use a DVI to HDMI adapter off it. We use them all the time at work for menu board displays as it is much cheaper to run HDMI cabling over longer distances than it is DVI cabling and then the adapters are basically passthrough.

That still doesn't get around the issue of the VCS adapter, but I've used one those before and I found it to be a pain to use honestly. So for as cheap as 2600s are, I don't see any reason that someone wouldn't just pick up a cheap 2600 to complement their 5200 if they really want to play 2600 games?

I hear you. BTW, I also used to own a mint 2600 Jr. short rainbow edition but sold it when I got the 2-port 5200 and the VCS adapter, but also I own a Flashback 9 when I sold both of my multicarts last year because I needed the $$$ (I was unemployed for almost 2 years before landing my great job over at Safeway here in Port Townsend), but did get the Flashback 9 when I got the Sony STR-DH590 home theater receiver after being turned on to the HDMI/HD craze going on and since it did not offer any composite a/v in/out jacks on it that lead me to upgrade everything.

....and yes, if I could afford it, I would try to get a near mint 2600 jr. short rainbow (it's smaller) rather than an original 4 switch unit, but if I did I would get the woodgrain one rather then a Vader one. And I would also get myself another Harmony Encore multicart since I DO have the Atarimax SD multicart back. I figured why not. and then I could have both modded to DVI and use the Sophia unit to adapt it to HDMI, hell I already own a VCR and have plans on getting a composite-to-HDMI adapter for it why not!!! 

I am already eyeing up an 8-port HDMI switcher I can use for my STR-DH590 since it only has 4 outputs onboard and I don't want to piggyback 2 or 3 inputs off the TV itself and then use an audio y-adapter from the phones jack on the TV to an audio input on the receiver just to put them all on, I'd rather have just one output from the receiver from the 8-port switcher plugged into just one jack.

Here are all of my video components:

Insignia digital TV tuner

Atari 2600/Flashback 9

Atari 5200

Sony SLV-N51 VCR

Lonpoo LP-099 region-free DVD player

unbranded MP4 HD media player

Roku Ultra

(perhaps) a BluRay (preferably region-free) disc player

My home entertainment system, also consists of LP, 8-track, cassette, CD and MiniDisc units as well, all hooked up to a matching Sony STR-DH190, so I have SEVEN decades of technology all run on two units hooked to a pair of Edifier R1010BT powered monitors (run from the headphone jacks off each receiver) and a 39" Insignia HDTV I bought in 2016.

You've probably seen the system in action on The Atari Report on that brand new YouTube channel I own, I hope you enjoy the content on it as well as my other YT channel BIGHMW TV, and I will be launching brand new episodes of TAR this weekend so what games is it gonna be this week??? You'll have to tune in (and subscribe) to find out for yourself. :) 

Hey @-^CrossBow^- is there a quality difference from the old ES and current UAV 5200 AV boards?  I had the ES installed in 2013, and when I was tinkering with box art for the Ultimate SD flash cart, the colors weren't showing up properly.  Given I have LHE on some other systems that displays like crap, and would like to change those at, should I do the same for the 5200 UAV?

Edited by Greg2600

Honestly the older ES mod on the 5200 I still think produced a better quality composite compared to how composite comes out on the UAV on the 5200. But on s-video they are the same to my eyes. And I think the colors showing up off on your Atarimax cart is just how they come out when converted and being displayed through an actual 5200. I think there are only 2 actual video modes the pics can be converted to and of them, I think they both have a 3 color limitation for the pic on them?

25 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Honestly the older ES mod on the 5200 I still think produced a better quality composite compared to how composite comes out on the UAV on the 5200. But on s-video they are the same to my eyes. And I think the colors showing up off on your Atarimax cart is just how they come out when converted and being displayed through an actual 5200. I think there are only 2 actual video modes the pics can be converted to and of them, I think they both have a 3 color limitation for the pic on them?

It's more that white get's reinterpreted as I guess no color and shows up as black.  I can probably fix it just haven't had the time.  Beyond that the video quality of the mod does seem fine.  It is nice to know I won't have to touch the mod though as I said in another thread I couldn't believe how much UAV > LHE.

Well, my earlier pics in that thread really need a redo these days. I've made a few more adjustments on my 7800 since then with the UAV I still had then in it now. I have different AV equipment compared to then that drives the entire thing. In most cases, it has all been for the better with only my comp modded intellivision and colecovision actually not looking as good on my current setup as they did on my prior setup.

I had tried the LHE and other mods on my 7800. In the end, only the Magic Knight s-video and eventually the UAV made me drop the LHE completely. Or at least the version of it for use in the 7800. I still think it was great for the 5200 although a more complex installation of course but my 5200 still produces a great picture today.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Krispy3371 said:

I currently have the Sophia Rev C chip and am looking for someone to mod my Atari 5200.
Does anyone know if this breaks the usage of a VCS adapter?

Far as I'm aware...all current AV mods to the 5200 break the use of the VCS adapter.

13 hours ago, Krispy3371 said:

I currently have the Sophia Rev C chip and am looking for someone to mod my Atari 5200.
Does anyone know if this breaks the usage of a VCS adapter?

Yes, the SOPHIA only works with the GTIA so the 2600 adapter will not work. The "simple" AV mod that I've seen for the 2600 and 7800 might work with the 5200+CX55 since that mod grabs the composite video signal before it hits the RF modulator. The picture quality wouldn't be great which is par for the course for that mod, but it would maintain full compatibility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, teknohed said:

I have a weird one here. I have a UAV moded 5200 that I am running into an Extron switch. For some reason the video is black and white via the extron switch but in color when I run it straight into the TV. Anyone ever see something like that? 

Are you sure you have a good ground connection off the chroma output on s-video? Because I too own an Extron (7sc) and use the s-video input from it.

OH WAIT...!!! Are you using s-video to the extron but using composite or RF to the TV by chance? 

What game specifically do you see this with?

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Are you sure you have a good ground connection off the chroma output on s-video? Because I too own an Extron (7sc) and use the s-video input from it.

OH WAIT...!!! Are you using s-video to the extron but using composite or RF to the TV by chance? 

What game specifically do you see this with?

I actually didn't do the mod myself, the mod was installed when i purchased it, so it is totally possible we have a bad joint somewhere. I hadn't seen this until I hooked it up to the Extron. In the case of this device my normal chain is to run it out of the 5200 into the extron via composite. Then out of the extron via composite into a Retro Tink Mini from which I go to my TV via an HDMI cable. I do have other devices running into and out of the Extron via S-Video, but not for the 5200. I am seeing this on Star Wars Arcade, Kangaroo, and Moon Patrol. I haven't tested other games, but I was assuming this was the case for all games as it was happening on the three I took a look at. 

Edited by teknohed