IGNORED

SDD 99

ralphb

17 hours ago, oddemann said:

I "just" want a new CPU, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G... been waiting for this for almost 90 days. Even food supply in the shop seems to be "suffering" too.

I just hope Mercedes will be able to build my new car until October ... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reminds me of my attempts to get a new PC graphics card; I'm hoping for a Radeon 5700, but no way to get one for about a year now. I could even sell my current graphics card (RX580) for about twice the price than I bought it 4 years ago.

I am having problems getting CPUs and motherboards for desktops and servers.  RAM prices have skyrocketed, and forget about large capactity (6TB and up) hard drives for NASes or RAID arrays.  SSDs are saying fairly stable right now, but that will change.

I have customers who are past their five-year refresh and need new servers, but I am having to keep the technology alive until things get better.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just some small update in case you've been wondering:  I won't do beta tests right now, since 1) I don't have that many parts left, and getting new ones is difficult to impossible, and 2) I really should do the beta test closer to the release. ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
On 3/24/2022 at 11:11 PM, SkyPilot said:

Update? News? Abandoned?

(Un)fortunately none of those. ?

I took a break, and also have to be cautions about soldering new boards, as part available has deteriorated even more.  The power regulator, for example, shows an availability date of 2023 at Digikey. ?  That means working on software only for quite a while ...

Also got a PS5 a while ago, so ... patience.  ???

• Like 7

Wow, that’s just an amazing project! I wonder what the author is doing now. I the project still alive? I am not a professional, so all the technical data doesn’t reach me, but the movie part from the video was cool. Is this small thing able to do that? Is it like a small PC? Looks neat and fun to make. Can it make data recovery, for example? That would be useful for me since I lost some important files from my HDD and am desperate to restore them now. Well, Ralph, good job indeed! Good luck with this and many other projects. Hope you will continue your job!

Edited by assemtom

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 9:15 AM, ralphb said:

Well, I thought about it, but unfortunately I don't have a 3d printer.  Some years ago (ahem) somebody contacted me and offered to design a case, so hopefully he stands by that offer.

I even put in 4 (unevenly spaced) holes to aid in mounting.

If the case fails, just glue the static bag with the SDD 99 (or whatever we'll call it) still inside to the TI 99.  Cat hair solved! ?  (any hair, actually)

If nobody has stepped forward already, I will design a case for the SDD99.  Let me know if you are interested.

Darryl

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Hi Steve, thanks for the ping, but unfortunately, there are still no STM32F746s available ...  Winsource wants $270 per part now. 😐

Switching power regulators I can use are also rare.  But there's one hope: The regulator I used for the last board is still available in quantities at Digikey, so maybe I can keep that.

The project is not dead, but it's not the only one right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ralphb said:

Hi Steve, thanks for the ping, but unfortunately, there are still no STM32F746s available ...  Winsource wants $270 per part now. 😐

Switching power regulators I can use are also rare.  But there's one hope: The regulator I used for the last board is still available in quantities at Digikey, so maybe I can keep that.

Mouser has the dev boards in stock for $56 each, and actually expects one of the regular variants to show up in December. . .with a price of around $21 each.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:36 AM, ralphb said:

I sympathize with your parts shortage. 

I had picked out several parts, then they went out of stock at Mouser US.

I looked at TI.com and was able to order direct. I found replacement regulators there (cost more than the ON Semi parts.)

I assume you don’t like to consider switching   to another  M4F chip? If there were any to buy…

Just curious, I did not find any. But I see TI R4F  chips in TQFP-100 for $15 (qty 1 RM44L520) with 128K RAM/768K Flash. I’ve only ever targeted the M0 and M4 myself.

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, dhe said:

Last update 11-10-2022 - Any news? I'm waiting to buy one of these!

Well, the good news is that I'm currently preparing another demo.  The bad news is that there's still no reliable source of either STM32 MCUs or voltage regulators.  😩  But at least ST announced that this might change "soon" ...

• Like 7

I know you're using STM32F746 (Cortex M4F) but I'm still rooting for TI chips to get serious traction in the ARM space. 

TI's cheapest new M4F with 768K Flash is at $7. 

I was piqued by a TI announcement of new, very cheap Cortex M0s.

Like TI is  serious about going after ST's very capable Cortex M0s that used to cost less than $2 (pre-pandemic.)  The MSPM0L1306 is available at $1.12 qty 1-99. But these are little guys with 32 pins (still 5V tolerant!)

There was also a recent thread on ti.com about which  TI ARM Cortex could replace a user's STM32 M3F. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

I know you're using STM32F746 (Cortex M4F) but I'm still rooting for TI chips to get serious traction in the ARM space.

No, I'm using an F7, mostly because of its FMC and SDMMC.  There's also no way I'm going to learn another SDK right now. 🙃

I'm planning to use a TI voltage regulator, though -- assuming that they'll become available again one day.  I also looked at some Wifi connectivity chips by TI, but nothing beats ESP in terms of available information, tools, and community.