IGNORED

SDD 99

ralphb

The ability to load cartridge images from files is really cool, I assume it works for ROM carts only? What if you have a GROM only cart in the physical slot, could you still load a ROM cart from the SDD99? Do you also allow RAM mapping into the >6000 region using the SAMS mapping registers?

I'm glad you ask this :) , since GROM should be possible. I already have some code, but I also need at least the GS line, which is currently not connected. I'll try soldering a small wire and then we can see.

Regarding the mapping, no, I don't. That's because the read request at >6/7xxx is always handled by the cart handler, and not by the memory handler. It would be quite a hassle to change this, and I'm not seeing a real benefit here either.

What's the pin connector for? Is it just the bus(44pin)?

Good point! The long double-pin row is only for debugging, and does indeed carry the signals of the bus. I relied so heavily on my logic analyzer that I'm glad I had enough foresight to add this! ;)

• Like 1

I'm just guessing here, but with the insane size of the memory, the ability to load CARTRIDGES and his previous work on the FinalGROM, I'm thinking any BASIC in cartridge form should be loadable executable.

The ideas and possibilities are flooding into my head right now....

Turns out "NO"

Quote: "No, that's not my plan. But subprogram parameter parsing in XB is somewhat different than in BASIC, and I haven't implemented those changes yet."

So currently it is not compatible with XB at all yet.

Edited by RXB

Good point! The long double-pin row is only for debugging, and does indeed carry the signals of the bus. I relied so heavily on my logic analyzer that I'm glad I had enough foresight to add this! icon_wink.gif

I'm glad too, as then I can hook a TIPI up there.. where are you getting 5v? from the TI? what if a speech is in there..

• Like 2

I'm glad you ask this :) , since GROM should be possible. I already have some code, but I also need at least the GS line, which is currently not connected. I'll try soldering a small wire and then we can see.

Regarding the mapping, no, I don't. That's because the read request at >6/7xxx is always handled by the cart handler, and not by the memory handler. It would be quite a hassle to change this, and I'm not seeing a real benefit here either.

How does the Pgram derive that signal from the side bus to operate?

How does the Pgram derive that signal from the side bus to operate?

Please forget that I ever mentioned GS*! :) Of course there's neither GS* nor GR on the side port. But GS* is just a combination of address lines, so it can be replaced by checking for the address, which I'm doing anyway. The GR line is more critical, but I remember speccery doing his FPGA sideport thingy without it. And in fact, it's sufficient that all the other GROMs in the system do their GR business, as the SDD 99 is fast enough to provide the data in time.

Still, I spent the entire evening trying to figure out why Parsec won't run once a key on the title screen is pressed. Only just now have I noticed that it does work when I do a soft reset at that point. This implies that neither Parsec nor I reset the scratchpad RAM properly, but this can be fixed. :)

• Like 5

This is not an adapter, this is for debugging. :roll:

Well, if I understand you correctly, the side signals can be accessed by these pins, correct? If that is so then a homemade adapter that can access these pins to have an endpoint that is like the side port on the TI could be made and therefore accessed for more than debugging?

Well, if I understand you correctly, the side signals can be accessed by these pins, correct? If that is so then a homemade adapter that can access these pins to have an endpoint that is like the side port on the TI could be made and therefore accessed for more than debugging?

Absolutely! :) Sorry, I somehow misunderstood your post.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do not understand why you not use GPL DSR set up like in RXB I have

BASIC or basic

XB or xb

EA or ea

Thus from TI Basic or XB or EA in any prompt for a device like Disk you can type: BASIC and it goes to TI Basic

Type: XB and it goes to RXB cart

Type: EA and it goes to EA cart

I also added the same thing you did with CALL BASIC.

So from XB I can type CALL BASIC or CALL XB or CALL EA

This device access would also work for CAT too.

This would work for XB or EA or Basic or even TE2 or any other cart you ever loaded.

[0085]               ***********************************************************
[0086]               * GROM Header
[0087] E000 AA              BYTE  >AA              * Header byte
[0088] E001 0B              BYTE  11               * Version #
[0089] E002 01              BYTE  1                * # programs
[0090] E003 00              BYTE  0                * Reserved
[0091] E004 00,00           DATA >0000             * POWER UP
[0092] E006 E0,10           DATA  MENU             * Cartridge menu
[0093] E008 F5,B0           DATA  EADSR            * DSRs
[0094] E00A 00,00           DATA  >0000            * Subroutines
[0095] E00C 00,00           DATA  >0000            * Interupts
[0096] E00E 00,00           DATA  >0000            * TI BASIC
[0097] E010 00,00    MENU   DATA  >0000
[0098] E012 E0,25           DATA  SETUP
[0099] E014 10,52,45        STRI  'REA VERSION 2018'
       E017 41,20,56
       E01A 45,52,53
       E01D 49,4F,4E
       E020 20,32,30
       E023 31,38
[0100]               *********************************************************

[1776]               **********************************************************
[1777] F5B0 F5,B7    EADSR  DATA SEADSR
[1778] F5B2 E0,25           DATA SETUP
[1779] F5B4 02,45,41        STRI 'EA'
[1780] F5B7 F5,BE    SEADSR DATA XBDSR
[1781] F5B9 E0,25           DATA SETUP
[1782] F5BB 02,65,61        STRI 'ea'
[1783]               ************************************
[1784] F5BE F5,C5    XBDSR  DATA SXBDSR
[1785] F5C0 63,72           DATA RXB
[1786] F5C2 02,58,42        STRI 'XB'
[1787] F5C5 F5,CC    SXBDSR DATA BASIC
[1788] F5C7 63,72           DATA RXB
[1789] F5C9 02,78,62        STRI 'xb'
[1790]               ************************************
[1791] F5CC F5,D6    BASIC  DATA SBASIC
[1792] F5CE 21,6F           DATA >216F
[1793] F5D0 05,42,41        STRI 'BASIC'
       F5D3 53,49,43
[1794] F5D6 00,00    SBASIC DATA >0000
[1795] F5D8 21,6F           DATA >216F
[1796] F5DA 05,62,61        STRI 'basic'
       F5DD 73,69,63
[1797]               ***********************************************************

Edited by RXB

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry, Beery, but it really irritates me how slow this project progresses. :x Sometimes things break, and I spend a week or more trying to find the reason. For example, at some point debugging just stopped working. The first time this happened, I reverted to a previous version of the code, and debugging worked again. The second time this happened, I checked my changes and didn't find anything obvious. Then I ordered new debugging gear and installed a new IDE -- which didn't help. Eventually I found that my code accidentally disables the pins needed for debugging. But at that point three weeks had already passed.

And probably half of the time between my last demo and now I spent on getting just one feature (the "new" feature) working, but didn't. I was close, but as I improved my peripheral emulation, I moved farther away again. So I postponed this feature and worked on other things. I now have an idea what's wrong, but some of these features really look straight-forward, but turn out to be hard.

But nevertheless I did implement new features, I'm just waiting until all parts on the new PCB are working ... :skull:

• Like 9

I think I had around 3000 hours into TIPI sideport before I released it as a Beta (it is still beta)

TIPI does a lot less. And it was all learning.

Hopefully you are putting yourself first!

It is cool to eventually OWN that peripheral you have total control over.

-M@

• Like 6