IGNORED

Mail Order Games

poppalarge

Hi! I'm looking to compile a list of mail order exclusive games for a little research I'm doing. I've scoured these forums trying to uncover as much info as possible, but I still have some unanswered questions that I could use a little help on. I thought it would be convenient to limit this just to US releases and then focus on Canada and Europe/PAL later. This is what I've come up with so far:

Let's start with the easy stuff:

Atari Club games:

- Atari Video Cube

- Crazy Climber

- Gravitar

- Quadrun

- SwordQuest: Waterworld

These were mail order exclusive but most ended up on shelves anyway.

Birthday Mania - definitely mail order only

Chase The Chuckwagon - promotional give away done through mail order

Answer Software:

- Gauntlet

- Malagai

Columbia House games:

which included games from:

CommaVid

- Cakewalk

- Stronghold

&

Spectravideo

- Bumper Bash - user Random Terrain (awesome site btw) asked here for information regarding Bumper Bash and if it was ever even offered by Columbia House

- Gas Hog

- Mangia'

- Master Builder

As far as I can tell, the Spectravideo games released through Columbia House did hit shelves in Canada but were only available through Columbia House in the US.

CommaVid (not from Columbia House, direct from the publisher themselves):

- MagiCard

- Video Life - available only by mail order to customers who had previously purchased MagiCard

Starpath mail order exclusives:

- Survival Island

- Sword Of Saros

- Tooth Protectors - promotional give away done through mail order

Somewhat sure:

- Air Raid - either sold door to door or just given away by company salesmen but probably never hit shelves. May have been offered through mail order but unsure.

- Eli's Ladder - only offered with a manual and no box, most likely in a plastic bag...this screams mail order to me. In a wildly entertaining thread, user Atari PAC-MAN Fan and Iwantgames:) also said this was mail order only.

- The Music Machine - AtariHQ lists it as mail order only and save2600 mentioned it in this thread about advertisements for mail order only games

- Red Sea Crossing - seems to either be an unreleased game or a mail order direct game judging from the plethora of topics about it on here

Questions:

Xonox/K-Tel games (possibly including Ultravision?)

- Artillery Duel/Chuck Norris Superkicks

- Ghost Manor/Spike's Peak

- Motocross Racer/Tomarc The Barbarian - this may have been Canadian only according to a post on here that I can't find :-/

- Robin Hood/Sir Lancelot

- Condor Attack (Ultravision)

- Karate (Ultravision)

According to user Crazy Climber here K-Tel mostly did mail order only. Crazy Climber also said Ultravision was a division of K-Tel, so Karate was also most likely mail order only. Does anyone have more information on that?

- CompuMate/PictureMate/SongMate - I can't find much on them, were they mail only?

- Glib - I question single release companies, but this seems to have hit stores

Mythicon

- Fire Fly

- Sorcerer

- Fire Fox

Did Mythicon games actually hit shelves?

- Tax Avoiders - this seems to be, coincidentally enough, one of those tax write offs, but did it actually hit shelves?

Exus:

- Video Jogger

- Video Reflex - did these titles see store shelves?

- X-Man - was this mail order or did it actually get sold behind counters

Other companies that I question if they were mail order only:

Apollo

Data Age

US Games

Does anyone have anything to offer to confirm or dispute this information? Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by poppalarge

Apollo, US Games and Data Age were all sold in stores - definitely not mail order only. I remember buying Bugs and Journey Escape at Kay*Bee Toy Stores BITD. Bought Bermuda Triangle, Sneak 'n Peak and Infiltrate at our local Eagle grocery store. :)

Xonox and Mythicon were also sold in stores. Bought Firefly from Kay*Bee as well. $.99 I believe! And still felt gypped. lol

Mattel's Kool-Aid Man started out as a mail order only promo too. Had to send in so many UPC's from the packets, plus money for shipping and handling.

• Like 2

I had a feeling Apollo, US Games and Data Age hit shelves. I will take them out of the questioned list. Thanks for clearing up Mythicon, but for Xonox do you know if Motocross Racer/Tomarc The Barbarian was Canada only? And what the deal was with Ultravision?

Kool-Aid Man I forgot to add to the easy list, thank you for reminding me.

• Like 1

That's the good stuff I'm looking for. So this is what we're looking at now:

Mail order exclusives:

- Birthday Mania

- Chase The Chuckwagon

- Gauntlet

- MagiCard

- Malagai

- Survival Island

- Sword Of Saros

- Tooth Protectors

- Video Life

Columbia House exclusive games:

- Bumper Bash - Random Terrain (awesome site btw) asked here for information regarding Bumper Bash and if it was ever even offered by Columbia House

- Cakewalk

- Gas Hog

- Mangia'

- Master Builder

- Stronghold

As far as I can tell, the Spectravideo games released through Columbia House did hit shelves in Canada but were only available through Columbia House in the US.

Mail order games that later hit retail shelves:

Atari Club games:

- Atari Video Cube

- Crazy Climber

- Gravitar

- Quadrun

- Kool-Aid Man

Pretty sure these were mail order only:

- Air Raid - either sold door to door or just given away by company salesmen but probably never hit shelves. May have been offered through mail order but unsure.

- Eli's Ladder - only offered with a manual and no box, most likely in a plastic bag...this screams mail order to me. In a wildly entertaining thread, user Atari PAC-MAN Fan and Iwantgames:) also said this was mail order only.

- The Music Machine - AtariHQ lists it as mail order only and save2600 mentioned it in this thread about advertisements for mail order only games

- Red Sea Crossing - seems to either be an unreleased game or a mail order direct game judging from the plethora of topics about it on here

Questions:

Ultravision

- Karate (Ultravision)

According to user Crazy Climber here K-Tel mostly did mail order only. Crazy Climber also said Ultravision was a division of K-Tel, so Karate was also most likely mail order only. Does anyone have more information on that?

- CompuMate/PictureMate/SongMate - I can't find much on them, were they mail only?

- Glib - I question single release companies, but this seems to have hit stores

Exus:

- Video Jogger

- X-Man - was this mail order or did it actually get sold behind counters in the US

And to delve into another avenue, were these games Canada exclusives?

- Motocross Racer/Tomarc The Barbarian - this may have been on Canadian shelves only according to a post by Omegamatrix

- Obelix - Random Terrain lists it as Canadian on his site as does Atariprotos.com

Edited by poppalarge

I have no solid evidence either way, but I would not be surprised if The Music Machine was sold in specialty, religious bookstores -- the related album most definitely was.

Look at the distribution model used a few years later by Wisdom Tree for religious games for the NES.

Alright so with updated information thanks to those who have responded, we can say that Tax Avoiders and Glib both hit physical store shelves. Gamma-Attack and monogrammed Spacechase have been added to confirmed mail order only. This leaves the following questions remaining:

Questions:

Ultravision

- Karate (Ultravision)

Exus:

- Video Jogger

- X-Man - was this mail order or did it actually get sold behind counters in the US

- Motocross Racer/Tomarc The Barbarian - this may have been on Canadian shelves only according to a post by Omegamatrix

- Obelix - Random Terrain lists it as Canadian on his site as does Atariprotos.com

And a few more contested releases, but Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre do seem to have been released in stores according to an interview with Wizard's owner. Rescue Terra I also seems to be a title that had a limited in store commercial run according to reviews.

Ok so with the latest updates:

US mail order exclusives:

- Birthday Mania

- Chase The Chuckwagon

- Color Bar Generator (note: not a game)

- Gamma-Attack

- Gauntlet

- MagiCard

- Malagai

- Spacechase (monogrammed)

- Survival Island

- Sword Of Saros

- Tooth Protectors

- Video Life

Columbia House exclusive games:

- Bumper Bash - Random Terrain (awesome site btw) asked here for information regarding Bumper Bash and if it was ever even offered by Columbia House

- Cakewalk

- Gas Hog

- Mangia'

- Master Builder

- Stronghold

US mail order games that later hit retail shelves:

Atari Club games:

- Atari Video Cube

- Crazy Climber

- Gravitar

- Quadrun

- Kool-Aid Man

Most likely US mail order only:

- Air Raid - either sold door to door or just given away by company salesmen but probably never hit shelves. May have been offered through mail order but unsure. May have also only been sold in one store (Mena's Toys). Big mystery!

Germany & Netherlands mail order only:

- X-Man

Questions:

Ultravision

- Karate (Ultravision)

- CompuMate/PictureMate/SongMate - I can't find much on them, were they mail only? Were they even commercially available in the US?

Exus:

- Video Jogger

And a few more contested releases, but Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre do seem to have been released in stores according to an interview with Wizard's owner. Rescue Terra I also seems to be a title that had a limited in store commercial run according to reviews.