IGNORED

Pole Position modest sprite hack !

TIX

No way because the limit is a maximum of 2cars per line that is the 4A8 Players (2 in Multicolour mode on each) then remaining 4Missiles are all used on the road sides signs in 5th Player taking the PF3 colour so there's no way to have any gfxs inside them, at least without using the PFs that would need to do a big, if not all, redesign of the game.

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 2

Then that's probably why we go solid signs in the first place. A different programmer (or team) might have done it differently.

Still, I've come to respect the double and quad pixel stretching to allow sprites that large at all. Though I think some GTIA modes would make for a good racing game with large sprites.

Then that's probably why we go solid signs in the first place. A different programmer (or team) might have done it differently.

Still, I've come to respect the double and quad pixel stretching to allow sprites that large at all. Though I think some GTIA modes would make for a good racing game with large sprites.

Yes, that is the reason for the solid signs. Whater you do or you even can't do anything on signs :(.

Ok, I couldnt remember if the signs were player 5 (all 1 color) or 1 missile with dynamic DLI width changes. Which Antic mode is used here?

Because if you can change the sign to be more of a frame shape with a rectangular or square hole in it, then you can fill that hole with a bitmap simple image.

GR.15 Bitmap mode 4colours no 'Badlines' that was the way they got to have on the road each scanline freely turning using hardware horizontal scrolling in the 2directions.

EDITED: So, from this you easilly get why they had to go for that solid side of the road signs and the constraints in trying to put something inside them.

Edited by José Pereira

hmmm, I don't love either but I'm going to have to go with number 2. To me number 2's blue lines look like highlights appearing and disappering in the sunlight. Number 1, having only 2 frames of animation - the lines look more like they are something sticking off the sides of the body and are just moving up and down.

Bob

Edited by bfollett
  • Like 1

maybe because same color as wing... maybe single flashy line for straight and up down lines for turns....

or flashy line only in the rear and up down lines in the front, I was watching some footage and the rear tire move together and the front tires are independent on most older vehicles.. so yeah , make the front do the alternating lines and the rear the flashy normal line... why not experiment?

no front wheels spin faster because of smaller diameter and steering the front is always faster unless the rear breaks loose.... watch a real car at the track... also consider simple basic physics

you're in reverse tane, if you want pole position you have to think...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I don't think any tyre animation that's conspicuous will be very appealing. Using 2 close luma values would make it inconspicuous. Just look at real tyres - you know they're rotating when viewed from behind but it's not like you know that because there's a bright white factory sticker going around or anything - it's all a fairly constant colour with subtle difference between valleys and peaks.

Another idea is instead of having colored stripes, to have no color (see through) stripes ! see below

I also made the rear highlight fatter :P

I think it does help as far as perspective, having the rear highlight fatter. Again, I personally think everything I've seen so far looks better than the original blinking. It's about illusion for your peripheral vision as your focus will be more on the road and cars ahead, and it's what looks best in the peripheral, not necessarily looking directly at it. The original simple single line blinking wasn't enough for the peripheral vision and your mind's eye to imagine spinning tires, just annoying blinking-especially when it was a bright Cyan color too...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

no front wheels spin faster because of smaller diameter and steering the front is always faster unless the rear breaks loose.... watch a real car at the track... also consider simple basic physics

you're in reverse tane, if you want pole position you have to think...

I'm thinking with physics and with comic sense, but if you want reality you have to increase the frequency (for 200-300 km/hr) and you are not going to see nothing, but that's not the idea. The idea is to show movement in size, not in frequency, and the rear wheels are bigger.

Edited by tane

do you go to the track? I have, racing was a big deal in these parts, Nazareth and Pocono raceway and a ton of independents. The blur still rotates to the naked eye, and you can see the rubber peeling off. Any decent high speed camera catches this today as well. Rear wheels are not moving faster than the smaller front tires with the additional rotations from turning is just the way it is. Look at your bicycle and gain some understanding from the gears and cogs. The current rendition was tons better than the old one. Do you even watch the races tane? It sure doesn't seem like you do.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

In game shot, looks pretty good !

the car appears flatter than the image in the editor.. I think I have to fatten it up ;-)

It's now 21 pixels high, the original was 24..

Do you like the see through highlights ? I think they are better, very inconspicuous !

post-65-0-02766100-1542320009.jpg

• Like 2

Doc: It's clear that the front wheels rotate faster. I'm, or I was good in classic physics and even modern physics (when you get close to the speed of light), at university level ;). What I'm saying is about proportion. The rear wheels are seen bigger, so it's expected to see more vibration. That's it, even if they are rotating at less speed, let's say -10% to -15%.

Doc: look at the above picture. The rear wheels have more vibration, and they look proportionally good. It looks more 3D.

Edited by tane