IGNORED

Pole Position modest sprite hack !

TIX

So, with the player, you're talking about changing the priority every other line in order to keep the PM's behind the enhancement graphics,

but in front of the track graphics? If that's the case, you could just window shade the PM's too (no PM data on the car enhancement playfield

lines) and you would need to change priorities every other line.

Correction on this, "you wouldn't need".

• Like 1

OK back to business..wow that was a tight fit !

New redrawn sprites ready for inspection,

I think I'm done with the main car and I have achieved a smooth animation cycle :-D

check them out below (remember they appear flatter in-game)

post-65-0-54820800-1543076553_thumb.jpg

Edited by TIX
  • Like 10

I think you have outdone yourself TIX, they look great. A far cry from the originals, and with the same colors and resolution restrictions! Kudos!

I know you aren't even finished yet, and are doing all this to the original rom version, but is there anyway we could get the changes onto one of the hacks with the extra tracks, PP+ or PP X? I'm happy if not, but I'd be ecstatic if it could be implemented on the ones with the extra tracks!

Edited by Gunstar

...though you could still get colour conflicts.

How?

The PM's have priority over the road graphics, and the detail graphics are on separate lines from the PM's and road graphics.

And, as I said, even the gray areas on the car's body would not be see-through, because those are made from the background

color of the detail lines only, which are separate from the road graphics -- and separate from PM's (since I'm interleaving them

here too).

Edited by MrFish

I think you have outdone yourself TIX, they look great. A far cry from the originals, and with the same colors and resolution restrictions! Kudos!

I know you aren't even finished yet, and are doing all this to the original rom version, but is there anyway we could get the changes onto one of the hacks with the extra tracks, PP+ or PP X? I'm happy if not, but I'd be ecstatic if it could be implemented on the ones with the extra tracks!

thanks man!

well I'll take a look into it when I'm finished with this,

there is a big IF the sprites are sorted the same way.. it was brutal the first time round..

What is the absolute best version of Pole Position ?

Is there a ROM of the most recent changes to the car, TIX? I downloaded the OP one with the new explosion. Don't see any subsequent ones.

Have you check the first revision of the car at: http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=605881

Second revision (with the sprites 6 posts up) will be ready soon !

Edited by TIX

thanks man!

well I'll take a look into it when I'm finished with this,

there is a big IF the sprites are sorted the same way.. it was brutal the first time round..

What is the absolute best version of Pole Position ?

I personally think Pole Position X+ is the best version simply because it offers the most different race tracks. The (1) in the file name is just because I accidentally downloaded it twice and Windows added it. It was the one I found first on my unorganized PC. :P

Pole Position X+(Atari, Title) (1).xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Hey ! still working on this !!

Revision 3 (revision 2 was a waste of time..) and final for the main car sequence, is ready :-D (including the tire reflections)

I tweak and re tweak them until my head spin.. I end up using the full height of the sprite (24 pixels) ! I'm preeeeety pleased with them.

Check it out and let me know:

Next in line are the opponent cars

post-65-0-51997200-1543331139.png

Pole Position (new sprites).xex

Edited by TIX
  • Like 13

Well, I took your new car for a test drive. A few laps around the track. I am loving it! She looks beautiful, handles wonderfully, and explodes well! On any given frame your perspective angles couldn't be any better with the limited pixel resolution. Aside from GTIA shading (because I used to think they were GTIA graphics 9 sprites and not 4xwide pixel stretch) and actual color changes, this is exactly what I imagined could be accomplished, even within the constraints. It all looks even better in the eyes periphery when you are focused on the road ahead.

Both the explosion and car are brilliant. The car actually looks like a Formula 1 or Indy 500 race car instead of an airport luggage hauler. And after playing a while, I have to say the best choice for the wheel high-lights is the see-through gray/green. It is clearly noticeable (pun intended) but not an over whelming blinking like the original, which makes it more "realistic."I love to see the A.I. cars get even with me so they look as good too! So I'm looking forward to new sprites for the A.I., but the game looks so much better now and has me addicted all over again. I love when sometimes you crash with another car and the other car's explodes too and both explosions are moving down the road at different speeds. :thumbsup: :cool:

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

Well, I took your new car for a test drive. A few laps around the track. I am loving it! She looks beautiful, handles wonderfully, and explodes well! On any given frame your perspective angles couldn't be any better with the limited pixel resolution. Aside from GTIA shading (because I used to think they were GTIA graphics 9 sprites and not 4xwide pixel stretch) and actual color changes, this is exactly what I imagined could be accomplished, even within the constraints. It all looks even better in the eyes periphery when you are focused on the road ahead.

Both the explosion and car are brilliant. And after playing a while, I have to say the best choice for the wheel high-lights is the see-through gray/green. It is clearly noticeable (pun intended) but not an over whelming blinking like the original, which makes it more "realistic."I love to see the A.I. cars get even with me so they look as good too! So I'm looking forward to new sprites for the A.I., but the game looks so much better now and has me addicted all over again. I love when sometimes you crash with another car and the other car's explodes too and both explosions are moving down the road at different speeds. :thumbsup: :cool:

thanks for the confidence boost :P !

yes at times they look (in my eyes at least) higher resolution !

I agree the see-through highlights look better (with the occasional accident here and there)

Now the opponent cars.. this is another adventure in the dark.. I will need your help in this !

I think they are 4 sizes, with the largest sharing the frames with our car,

• 8 pixels wide
  • 7 pixels wide
  • 6 pixels wide
  • 5 pixels wide

so we are dealing with the remaining 3,

if they are animated the same as the main car we have 7 frames per size, 21 in total.

I count 29 maybe 30 frames regarding them.. what are the rest ?

post-65-0-25694000-1543340500.jpg

thanks for the confidence boost :P !

yes at times they look (in my eyes at least) higher resolution !

I agree the see-through highlights look better (with the occasional accident here and there)

Now the opponent cars.. this is another adventure in the dark.. I will need your help in this !

I think they are 4 sizes, with the largest sharing the frames with our car,

• 8 pixels wide
  • 7 pixels wide
  • 6 pixels wide
  • 5 pixels wide

so we are dealing with the remaining 3,

if they are animated the same as the main car we have 7 frames per size, 21 in total.

I count 29 maybe 30 frames regarding them.. what are the rest ?

Could they be frames for the missiles that make the signs? Or are they located elsewhere?

Could they be frames for the missiles that make the signs? Or are they located elsewhere?

I'm sure they are car related..

Am I correct in my assumption of the sizes of the cars and the animation ?

for example the very small cars animate ?? maybe there is another very very small sized car ?

I need another pair of eyes on this :-o

Edited by TIX

post-568-0-16762600-1543365848_thumb.png

I did a bunch of screen grabs and I count SEVEN car sizes total? I do not know if any of those animate. It does look like that some of the other large sizes also have turning frames. I'll need to investigate some more.

I'm sure they are car related..

Am I correct in my assumption of the sizes of the cars and the animation ?

for example the very small cars animate ?? maybe there is another very very small sized car ?

I need another pair of eyes on this :-o

• Like 1