IGNORED

Pole Position modest sprite hack !

TIX

Just for fun (and for those unable to see this awesome project in action) I made a quick comparison video of the original vs the hack. It's amazing the difference!

It's also amazing at how bad I am at this game! :D

TIX, I gave you credit and linked back in the video description to this thread, so hopefully it will generate some more interest!

• Like 7

BTW, I really like your sprite work on the car!

attachicon.gifpole-position2.png

Update: It looks like all but the two smallest sizes have turn frames.

-Ben

thanks man, that's what I needed !!

so if the 4 animated cars have the same number of frames as the main car, we have 4x7= 28 + 2 (inanimate cars) = 30 pretty close to the number I count earlier ;-)

If you find the time to fill in the remaining frames of animation.. it would be greatly appreciated !!

• Like 1

Just for fun (and for those unable to see this awesome project in action) I made a quick comparison video of the original vs the hack. It's amazing the difference!

It's also amazing at how bad I am at this game! :D

TIX, I gave you credit and linked back in the video description to this thread, so hopefully it will generate some more interest!

great !! I meant to do that..

thanks for the effort :-D

Edited by TIX

After further investigation I settle on the following, I think only the first 3 sizes are worth editing,

from the 4th down the sprites change to x1 wide pixels..

So 9 new frames (in 2 layers each) to draw .... :woozy:

1. 7 x4 pixels wide car, 3 frames (1 forward + 2 left/right turn)
  2. 6 x4 pixels wide car, 3 frames (1 forward + 2 left/right turn)
  3. 5 x4 pixels wide car, 3 frames (1 forward + 2 left/right turn)
  4. 8 x1 pixels wide car, 3 frames (1 forward + 2 left/right turn)
  5. 6 x1 pixels wide car, forward frame only
  6. smallest blob
  • Like 1

I tried again running the emulator at 50% speed to get more frames, but I did not see more...

I would speculate that the smaller size have no more than 5 frames each?

thanks man, that's what I needed !!

so if the 4 animated cars have the same number of frames as the main car, we have 4x7= 28 + 2 (inanimate cars) = 30 pretty close to the number I count earlier ;-)

If you find the time to fill in the remaining frames of animation.. it would be greatly appreciated !!

• Like 1

post-568-0-78252200-1543581979_thumb.png

I like all the turning frames for row 5!

The center frame on Row 5, the center looks stretched, if you remove a column of pixel in the middle I think it will look better?

post-568-0-12332300-1543582388.png

The center frame in Row 4, you'll notice that the game uses 8 pixels wide for this sprite, so you have more detail to play with?

The turning frames for Row 4, do they need to look like they are turning more? What if the spoiler was moved over like this?

post-568-0-41798000-1543582933.png

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 2

hey Ben !

let me explain my logic so that we are at the same page,

I have based my designs on the original dimensions and positions, like below:

The opponent sprites I have posted corresponds to the 7, 6 and 5 original sizes (on your chart are 6, 5,and 4)

The next smaller size (n.4 on mine, n.3 on yours) will be the 8 x1 pixels wide (big relief)..

as for your suggestions:

• I don't like the center frame of 6 either.. but if I remove a column of pixel in the middle the result will be the same as the 5 central frame :(
  • The turning frame of 5 is based on the original, and it is not turning that much.. I have the alternate frame ready and If I don't like it in action, I will change it ;-)

post-65-0-68955800-1543590567.jpg

• Like 1

Gotcha! Great work overall BTW. The cars have always bugged me in Pole Position!

EDIT: This is the best I could come up for the center frame of six? Feel free to take it or leave it, I don't want to step on any toes!

post-568-0-02874700-1543593416.png

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by legeek
  • Like 1