IGNORED

Pole Position modest sprite hack !

TIX

I really like it, such an incredible improvement to the game. :thumbsup: The best way to play is setting it to Atari Grand Prix which is the hardest difficulty, and set it for a full 8 laps and see if you can finish. I can.

But to see so many car sprites on screen at once while you are hitting the brakes and swerving in between them, with the new graphics really makes this game shine now, it feels more real now that cars look like F1 cars and not airport baggage carriers.Just short of being the most spectacular 8-bit racing game ever, if not for lack of A.I. and real racing against computer opponents.

Too bad there aren't more tracks to race on in this version.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

Too bad there aren't more tracks to race on in this version.

Well I had a look in Pole Position ++ and unfortunately the sprites are not located in the same addresses..

so it is not a simple copy/paste job and my eyes cant take anymore chunky cars at the moment ;)

maybe sometime in the future !

• Like 4

maybe a kind person if told where you found all of your sprite data, would grab that data and do a search and replace on the + version with your new sprite data? since the + didn't modify the sprites did it?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

The one I posted was Pole Position X+, Patent Pole Position is another one with many tracks, you may want to look at both and see which is best, overall, with title, checkered flags, etc., included already too. I think it is important to have the one TIX did, based on the original rom with original track(s) and options, etc. for posterity or what ever, but I need more than just Fuji International to race on, even with good graphics. These hacks offer 4, 6, 8, maybe even more (I forget how many Patent PP has) which brings the excitement back of learning and mastering new tracks.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

• 4 years later...