IGNORED

Does Atarimax take Paypal? (A fork of the old Steve takes ages to reply)

Mclaneinc

Yes, its a tough old choice when it comes to US to UK stuff, having been hit 3 times with stuff for my daughter I shudder every time there's a package due..

You did mention another place with these, care to share please..

I can't decide between both, the 32 in 1 sounds like you get so much but the Ultimate offers different extra's as long as alternate OS's..

there's more than one way to "skin a cat".

there is a website other than atarimax.com selling these that accepts paypal

i didn't mention another place. i mentioned another site - because Steve may have removed the paypal option from atarimax.com but it still exists @ https://www.8bitclassics.com/store/

you're mis-reading me. Twice now.

I didn't say "another p[lace" - i said "another website".

Although his atarimax site may no longer accept paypal his 8bitclassics site DOES.

i had posted this quite clearly above, but no worries - happy to post it again. you're welcome.

I didn't see the other post, as for place / web site...Slightly pedantic I think...Its still a place on the internet..

But thank you for mentioning it...

Still sunny your end it seems..

"place" would refer to a seller/location

"website" refers to a web address.

your final comment is absolute proof I waste my time trying to help you.

despite our previous disagreement I still tried to help you - yet you feel it okay to reply with sarcasm.

completely unnecessary - especially when someone is helping you.

Martin, review how you replied, if you wanted to help yo could have mention the 'website' in the initial post but instead you went straight in to critique mode, very helpful...This is still about some petty self created grudge you have...I ask you as always, leave it, it has no place on the forum.

If you want to keep replying re this then I'll direct the messages to Al.....

• 2 weeks later...

For the do-it-yourselfers out there, or if you already have some degree of upgrades already in a system, there's also Dropcheck's 4-in-1 OS PCB. Just add a single 27C512 E/EPROM, and 2 switches. (Or 2 OS's with 1 SPST switch, or 3 OS's with 1 SPDT switch)

Would cover the most commom stock, highspeed, and 800 compatible use cases...

Similar with the go4retro 2764 adapter, switch between 2, 4, or 8 ROMS in the BASIC socket too. This adapter does not fit next to the 32-in-1. I just received the dropcheck OS adapter, will find out soon how that fits alongside.

Well, it looks a little ridiculous, but these two adapters do actually fit and work simultaneously side by side, if one of them is double-socketed...

Quick hack for 1/2/4 switchable OS's and 1/2/4/8 switchable ROM's in the BASIC socket.

post-53052-0-01509300-1543209758_thumb.jpg

nice. easy to do? ^

Yep, as you can see, just plug EPROMs into the adapters, and adapters into the sockets.

The 'hardest' tasks might just be programming the EPROMs (easy for me), and and wiring the desired switches. And soldering the 23xx adapter if you chose the PCB only...

It's an easy option for 4 switchable OS's with no solder points needed to the motherboard itself, with 1 or 2 external switches, for $15 + EPROM + switches + shipping ($8 USA, $14 Canada) - better per unit if you buy more than 1 obviously.

VERSUS the AtariMax 32-in-1 which needs no EXTERNAL modifications, but requires 3 solder points on the motherboard, for $49.99+$3 shipping.

In the past I was a big fan of QMEG OS and the pretty cool MyBios written by Mr. Atari for the even cooler MyIDE ][ cartridge. And all those OS-es are still very nice custom OS's ... a stand alone setup with MyBIOS and MyIde is still one of the coolest setups I can imagine.

But my main Hard Disk interface is the IDE+ for years now and this one in combination with my Turbo Freezer does not give me any need of whatever third party OS. I prefer that since I switch between Atari computers from time to time, and many times to stock computer.

In my main Atari I also have the ultimate 1MB installed with the better than excellent replacement BIOS written by FJC. The absolute strongest feature in his replacement is the fact that all the extra bells and whistles like high speed sio or sio2BT driver is running through PBI which leaves the current and active OS completely ORIGINAL which is definitely a good thing. And with the SIDE2 cartridge this setup is even more powerful.

So in comparison with the 32 in 1 I wouldn't hesitate long about which one the winner is: U1MB

And if you do not want to solder but still want third party OS I would go for the SysCheck II

• Like 1