IGNORED

connect an RF-only console to a BVM

asra

hello!

I have a question related to older machines that don't have any kind of higher-quality output signal other than RF-out.

Typically a 2600 would only come with this type of video out option, so you'd have to tune the tv channel to be able to play.

Fast forward 30 years, I do most of my retro gaming on a BVM which only has composite, component and RGB input.

Is there any device that will somehow allow me to tune the signal in like we used to do on those old TVs and view it on my BVM? (via composite, component or RGB)

I'm based in europe so 220v compatibility is preferred.

I run mostly NTSC consoles but have at least one PAL machine so the device I'm looking for would ideally support both types.

I've had a look through ebay and amazon but not getting any interesting results back.

Thank you!

Edited by asra

You can mod your 2600 to composite or RGB output. Nathan Strum has a nice website, which describes and compares the various mods.

Hi Thomas thanks for your reply.

2600 was just an example of a console that came as rf-only back in the day.

Mine is actually rgb-modded :)

My use case is one of the old nintendo pong-consoles

dyzfaguedzv0mz8hksqc.png

image quality as well as lag are things I care about, so you know any experiences or recommendations with this type of converter is very much appreciated.

(I'd rather not use a VCR for this, thnx)

thank you!

Edited by asra

A professional VCR is likely going to give you the best bang for the buck. most comsumer digital RF demodulators like on DVD-R and set top box are terrible. Colors are wrong, tones of blur + chuunky ness and tons of lag, don't do it! A new RF de-modulator that isn't a POS with run you over 200 euros though. You might try keeping you eye out for a older RF demodulator, not common on ebay or your electronics recyclers anymore.

A professional VCR is likely going to give you the best bang for the buck. most comsumer digital RF demodulators like on DVD-R and set top box are terrible. Colors are wrong, tones of blur + chuunky ness and tons of lag, don't do it! A new RF de-modulator that isn't a POS with run you over 200 euros though. You might try keeping you eye out for a older RF demodulator, not common on ebay or your electronics recyclers anymore.

Agreed if you have one... Or if you plan on doing this long term, Do a A/V mod if your comfortable with a soldering iron. As I understand it's not too hard. A Kit on eBay for composite is like $11 shipped pre-wired.

And it will give better results than a VCR over all.

Edited by TheCoolDave

AV mod gives you composite than RF, so it;s worth it. Composite still requires filtering by the set, the filter on my VCR is still better than the one on my BVM and my XM29, but my JVC professional monitors have as good filtering. You can get svideo out using some of the 2600 mod, I use Bryan's UAV mod on my 7800 for my 2600 games. Until I find a good stand-alone filter, I run all my composite consoles though my VCR to clean them up but most are s-video or better!

I have a Sony TV tuner to go with my PVM but I think it is NTSC only. I bought it on ebay a few years ago.

Mitch

Hey Mitch

thanks for your reply, would you mind sharing some details on the unit?

"sony tv tuner" returns a lot of unrelated items.

something like a model number or something would be helpful.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

UPDATE!!!

Found this bad boy, should I pull the trigger?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Analog-TV-Tuner-RF-Demodulator-For-NTSC-PAL-B-G-PAL-I-PAL-A-/192480942287

s-l500.gif

Edited by asra