IGNORED

Unwritten rules

tripletopper

Apparently, I've kicked off 3 Atari Age individual sub-Forums.

A couple people complain about me but offer no specifics.

I looked up the "Legal" link to see if there's a chat code of conduc to see if I violated something.

I don't see a chat code of conduct.

I'm using common sense rules:

I'm only using words that would qualify on TV-G television.

I'm not hating.

I'm not bullying.

I don't shill my ideas or my websites unless they are relevant to the conversation.

I admit I'm kind of long winded. But forums are different than phone calls. Phone calls have a naturally quick ping time, were misinformation can be corrected instantly. Forums don't. You say what you want to say, and then listen to the responses and react to them.

I admit, I mainly look at the first few posts to see what the idea of the forum is and may have missed details in the middle, then jump to the end to read my responses.

If those two things are bad nettiquette, let me know, or if you want to criticize me on something else, be a little more specific.

One of the reasons why I'm long winded is because for most of my social interactions in the real world, the most complex they get is "paper or plastic?" (either bags or money) Chatting on forum is a social outreach, a call for friends. Even if I never see you guys face to face, I feel like I belong. :)

And now it looks increasingly less friendly for me. :(

I can't apologize without it being seen as hated. (And I'm wiliing to apologize when I'm wrong.) If my guess is right, I can't have a long winded post AND I can't double post 2 different, albeit related, but different ideas. There's no way I can win.

Luckily I had 2 websites stored on my email before people tried to deny me access to the website in a targeted fashion. And I already patronized one, and the other, I'm looking to patronize.

Without knowing what rule I violated, how do you expect me to be better, and friendlier?

• Like 1

I know nothing about whatever is going on. I DO know all about having (unbeknownst to me) weird viewpoints. I noticed in the topics you're on that there's a bit of pushback on your statements and you (in my opinion) don't let up.

You can't really change someones opinion most of the time. Also, sometimes it's not obvious when we care too much about posting. I've had to mentally back away from time to time. Maybe now is a good time to do that for yourself.

If it stops being fun then it kinda loses the point.

• Like 2

I can tell you people here are a lot more tolerant than the world at large. But, having said that, there are social customs that exist both within and beyond the forum. People here do things out of the goodness of their heart, as a hobby, not a business to cater to people's requests, so pushing them to give you more is going to get old REAL fast, as it feels exploitative or unappreciative. I try to not ask for advice more than once in a couple weeks, at the most, and I feel a little presumptuous about that. I try to keep asking for someone to do something for me to about once every 3-6 months and I don't push. To repeatedly ask someone to do something for you: that will get you booted. Patronizing someone - talking down to them - when they have made something for the community will also get old fast. You may see people do it without having an issue, but they have probably known each other for years. When you have been here 10 years, maybe you can get away with it once in a while.

As an example, this post was created to generally discourage people from asking for someone to program a particular game or game change for them. Check out rule #3.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/82555-to-all-non-programmer-idea-peddlers/

You said ping again. Lol. Maybe thats just part of your commonly used words in your vocab.

I like RF too.. Try to be like everyone else on the internet. Too much different is bad.

Like trying to sound cool and "in" by use of unfamiliar or left-field terminology. Stuff too far out of casual conversation.

I said in most cases in a perfect world. In my later points I prioritized them, When I realized I was asking too muchSaying on the 5200 posts the first prority was the buttons and the fight stick working right. The secod priority was fixing the digital 141% radius error present in the Competiion Pro Joystick. and then the least important thing was the keypad buttons.

Someone told me the price was going to be $85 for a PS2-> 5200 device built by someone else. Now I've got something to compare to Matthew Gummo's service.

A funny thing of how I deal with Tototek, show how I can be too eager. I gave them the button mapping for a PS2-> SNES and PS2_> Geneiss adapter and I added a wish list of thins I'd like t see in the future. I got refunded.

So I took a new approach. I said tstuff betweenthe VVVVVVVVV aqnd ^^^^^ is what I expect for the price, and the stuff beyond the ^^^^^^ is a wishlist of future things I'd like to see, and don't expect it at all, let alone for the price I paid. They didn't cancel the second order. So if it gets here By December 1st, I'll tell you adjusting tactics worked.

Mayeb I should co,me off as less eager and demanding. :) try to be pleasant, but I DON'T THNK TOMY OF TOTOTEK'S FIRST LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH. he has a German forum, and a Chinese address.

I said in most cases in a perfect world. In my later points I prioritized them, When I realized I was asking too muchSaying on the 5200 posts the first prority was the buttons and the fight stick working right. The secod priority was fixing the digital 141% radius error present in the Competiion Pro Joystick. and then the least important thing was the keypad buttons.

Someone told me the price was going to be $85 for a PS2-> 5200 device built by someone else. Now I've got something to compare to Matthew Gummo's service.

A funny thing of how I deal with Tototek, show how I can be too eager. I gave them the button mapping for a PS2-> SNES and PS2_> Geneiss adapter and I added a wish list of thins I'd like t see in the future. I got refunded.

So I took a new approach. I said tstuff betweenthe VVVVVVVVV aqnd ^^^^^ is what I expect for the price, and the stuff beyond the ^^^^^^ is a wishlist of future things I'd like to see, and don't expect it at all, let alone for the price I paid. They didn't cancel the second order. So if it gets here By December 1st, I'll tell you adjusting tactics worked.

Mayeb I should co,me off as less eager and demanding. :) try to be pleasant, but I DON'T THNK TOMY OF TOTOTEK'S FIRST LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH. he has a German forum, and a Chinese address.

:?

• Like 2

Mayeb I should co,me off as less eager and demanding. icon_smile.gif try to be pleasant, but I DON'T THNK TOMY OF TOTOTEK'S FIRST LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH. he has a German forum, and a Chinese address.

You should stay on topic. I have no clue what you are talking about.

I can tell you people here are a lot more tolerant than the world at large. But, having said that, there are social customs that exist both within and beyond the forum. People here do things out of the goodness of their heart, as a hobby, not a business to cater to people's requests, so pushing them to give you more is going to get old REAL fast, as it feels exploitative or unappreciative. I try to not ask for advice more than once in a couple weeks, at the most, and I feel a little presumptuous about that. I try to keep asking for someone to do something for me to about once every 3-6 months and I don't push. To repeatedly ask someone to do something for you: that will get you booted. Patronizing someone - talking down to them - when they have made something for the community will also get old fast. You may see people do it without having an issue, but they have probably known each other for years. When you have been here 10 years, maybe you can get away with it once in a while.

As an example, this post was created to generally discourage people from asking for someone to program a particular game or game change for them. Check out rule #3.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/82555-to-all-non-programmer-idea-peddlers/

I always felt uneasy about that topic. However, at the time there were an abnormal amount of rude people asking for free labor to make games. Normally I'm all for live and let live. But, people would PM me and expect work because they felt (and told me explicitly!) coding was easy and practically valueless.

In any case, I think you got your answers here tripletopper. I'd mull them over before posting again. Even the comments that you think are wrong are intended to help here. Heck, from my experience especially the comments I find hard to take are the most beneficial!

Edited by Gemintronic

I said I was willing to pay in advance for services. I'm not asking for free labor. I'm willing to pay whatever cost is necessary, if both of us believe it is reasonable.

Not sure what you're referencing, sir. I was talking about when the Idea Peddler thread was first made. Also, I don't see any post by you in that topic.

But, I think the main points have been made. I wish you well.

Apparently, I've kicked off 3 Atari Age individual sub-Forums.

Have your worker\attendant read over what you want to post before you post it. That would probably help you a lot. If your attendant isn't around ask your mom, dad or other adult in the room.

Shawn apparently follows me and tries to get me booted off forum everywhere I go then he follows. He's like a cyber stalker and mugger. He has 18K posts. Based on the few other comments he says he likes, he seems like a forum polluter. He likes forums where he gives the biggest zingers. This is the third forum (maybe fourth) he followed me in an (even thought I can't prove it because I can't reenter the forums I've been banned from) he's probably the one who initiated the banning of me. We're even talking about banning as the main subject of the forum, and there is Shawn, ready to strike. Someone should investigate Shawn. Everyone is calm, then he yells a proverbial "off with his head" and stirs up to mob against them. I sense he's trying to do it again.

Edited by tripletopper
  • Like 1

There's a few "cyber stalkers" around here. I don't think they're interested in booting someone from the forms - for whom would they have to chase around then - but, rather just like to tease. Some don't even know they're doing it. Just feel sorry for them and point out their errant ways.

• Like 1

Not sure what you're referencing, sir. I was talking about when the Idea Peddler thread was first made. Also, I don't see any post by you in that topic.

But, I think the main points have been made. I wish you well.

I never saw the idea peddler forum until it was menitoned in this forum. I don't initiate these things usually. I try to find existing projects and see if it can be modified to fit me. The Atari Jaguar Pro Controller Forum, The Phoenix Forum, The PS2-> 5200 forum. I joined these forums because i was interested in them. I patronized the Jag Pro Sale. The Phoenix one I saw and thought it was not right for me now, and questioned why use an HDMI to CRT converter, and demonstrate on a CRT TV, yet it loses its point by having delay on CRT TV. I got an approximate price for the PS2-> 5200, so I'l compare whether it's worth it for an adapter vs getting Matthew Gummo to do an analog digitization or a real 5200 controller. There is another one I want to patronize for $40, but I don't want to mention the other forum in fear of being kicked off that. And everything is right about it. I found another solution to get it working.

Shawn apparently follows me and tries to get me booted off forum everywhere I go then he follows. He's like a cyber stalker and mugger. He has 18K posts. Based on the few other comments he says he likes, he seems like a forum polluter. He likes forums where he gives the biggest zingers. This is the third forum (maybe fourth) he followed me in an (even thought I can't prove it because I can't reenter the forums I've been banned from) he's probably the one who initiated the banning of me. We're even talking about banning as the main subject of the forum, and there is Shawn, ready to strike. Someone should investigate Shawn. Everyone is calm, then he yells a proverbial "off with his head" and stirs up to mob against them. I sense he's trying to do it again.

I've not followed you anywhere. I read and post across the whole forum and have so for many, many years. If you have been removed or banned from topics by the staff or administration what does that tell you? It should tell you that you're out of line and your participation is clearly unwelcome by no fault other than your own. I will say that I'm no fan of the garbage you continue to post all over this forum and I am very interested to see what exactly will be the final straw before you get banned. You're clear ignorance in the matter is no excuse.

• Like 1

There is only one major rule in every friendly forum: Do not annoy people.

Ah yes, this is one half of the old rule from the early BBS days, and especially on the old "Fight-O-Net" (Fidonet) where there could be a 'flame war' erupting daily....

"Do not be annoying, and do not be easily annoyed."

• Like 1