IGNORED

7800 Control Troubleshooting - up stuck

mtarallo

Hi guys - I was wondering if someone on here can help me troubleshoot something - I think something fried on my 7800 - I noticed when I start a game like Xevious - the ship automatically goes up the screen - like someone is pushing up - this happens without a controller plugged into the port. It's like something is shorting pin 1 on the controller port. I checked the PCB and pin 1 from the port looks like it is going no where. There does not appear to be any burnt components - I am wondering if it is a failed diode or resistor. I appreciate your suggestions.

If I use an Atari 2600 game in the 7800 - the controls work as expected.

Thanks!

Edited by mtarallo

That usually indicates an issue with the TIA or the RIOT chips. Controls in 7800 games behave differently on those two chips for their controls I believe as compared to the 2600. Can't remember which controls which but I believe the fire buttons are handled by the TIA so the RIOT might handle the cardinal directions.

• 2 weeks later...

That usually indicates an issue with the TIA or the RIOT chips. Controls in 7800 games behave differently on those two chips for their controls I believe as compared to the 2600. Can't remember which controls which but I believe the fire buttons are handled by the TIA so the RIOT might handle the cardinal directions.

That was it - just replaced the

p.jpg

$6 fix!

Thank You for the advice!