IGNORED

PitFall II Easter Egg Background Story?

Stefan Both

Here is a screen shot off a real PAL computer to LCD. I re-adjusted the colors back to as close as original after my phone camera mutilated them...The grays came out as blues though...

post-149-0-82126300-1542430861_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Interesting. This is what my LCD TV shows, and it is much closer to the image in the emulator. (PAL 800 XE, unmodded S-Video connection). Your colours seem to be oversaturated.

attachicon.gifpitfall2018-tv.png

No, your colors are washed out from a bad stock video. my colors are no more saturated then your original image you posted. They are properly saturated via upgraded S-video out to a VGA converter. As I said, I had to fiddle around with colors and whatnot to try and get it back to the colors of your picture, in real life my screen looks exactly like your original .png image looks on my PC's VGA LCD screen, as it should with a proper video upgrade.

Un-retouched side-by-side of your .png image on my PC's VGA monitor with my Atari's output to VGA next to it. Different tints or what ever, but same saturation level. Again, in real life my Atari image on the left, is actually closer to the tint of the PC image on the left, it's funny what a camera does to change things and how it seed differently from the human eye...

post-149-0-40569600-1542436770_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Though I love the old game and the iconic graphics.... I must admit in this one case, the redone graphics are a must, considering what you have shown us. maybe interspersed for added effect at part within the game or maybe just on level 2, giving folks a reason to fight hard to get there... all kinds of idea... some more screens done up for for the whole of it would give a better idea what to do or not to do... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just a little over one font for the first screen. Might be possible to squeeze it into one after some tweaking. I have not redone the second one in G2F yet, but the result should be similar.

That's pretty good. I thought it might be pretty low, if the repetitions were placed well enough.

Any plans to hack this with Mapa's help?

This time with a cave theme, as opposed to a temple theme :-)

attachicon.gifpitfall2018-cave-spr.png

Geez, that looks great....

Pretty weird that the A800 programmer said the 2600 and the 800 had the same graphics chip.......not even aware the A800 had 2....

This might explain why Activision was so lazy on improving graphics on their conversions ? With all respect, but all 2600 conversions have only very very minor graphic improvements.

I finishend Pitfall II 1 or 2 times BITD but I don't remember any 2nd level....mmm....since I just "finished" Henri's House for the first time, this might be a nice new challenge....

So I remember finishing the game with my brother (we had gotten stuck and were so tired we left the game running, slept then picked it up the next day). I recall getting to a second level, but we never got any ending where we went back to the top for a helicopter to pick us up! Pitfall Harry just jumped up and down, the same way he did before jumping through the doorway to the second level.

Is this because we didn't get the treasures in the correct order?

• 1 month later...

My friend and I wrote a series of three articles about Pitfall! for our Orphaned Computers and Game Systems newsletter in 1998. The articles are called:

1. The Legend of Pitfall Harry From the VCS to the PC
  2. Pitfall Update: Pitfall III
  3. Pitfall Update: The End of the Secret Level!

You can read all three articles here:

https://www.orphanedgames.com/ocgs/issue5/harry.html

In 2015, I made various posts about Pitfall II while the game was being played in the Atari 8-Bit High Score Club.

Here is a post about the art for Pitfall II:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240933-hsc12-round-12-pitfall-ii/?do=findComment&comment=3286865

Here's information about a few of the different manuals for Pitfall II:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240933-hsc12-round-12-pitfall-ii/?do=findComment&comment=3286910

Pitfall II Maps and Other Spoilers:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240933-hsc12-round-12-pitfall-ii/?do=findComment&comment=3287476

Pitfall II general Information with a link to a Pitfall II hack that starts you off on the extra level:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230120-hsc11-round-17-p-pitfall/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3278604

I hope you all find this fun to read.

Adam

• Like 2