IGNORED

Broken VLM

mikro

Hey guys, after a really long time I have managed to get back to my Jaguar. Since some time I have the CD unit as well. Can't remember the last time I tried VLM but when I did today, I couldn't understand how to get it working. Basically I insert Tempest 2000 audio CD (what else, right?), I see the menu, can control volume, start/stop playback, ... but that damn VLM wouldn't do a thing (see photo).

In the centre something looks like a movement but that's pretty much it. Reading everywhere that it should be really just plug & play I'm wondering what could go wrong here? Audio is obviously working, so the next thing which comes into my mind is broken A/D converter or something similar.

Has anybody experienced something like this?

post-12234-0-33295300-1542222065_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Stephen, thank you very much! I was able to select 1-4 which finally showed some FFT-driven wave forms in the rhythm of the music.

It seems that most of the effect are far from optimal, at least as far as music processing goes (incl. that starfield 9-1 posted above)

Hmm, it seems that there really was something strange going on... no matter what I do, I'm unable to replicate the "ignoring" pattern - now whatever effect I choose, it always works.

Out of curiosity, what is that "CD+G" mode? If I understand it correctly, VLM - set/keep current VLM effect, VLM R - random VLM effects but that CD+G... no clue. It produces only blank screen, sometime with coloured borders.

Stephen, thank you very much! I was able to select 1-4 which finally showed some FFT-driven wave forms in the rhythm of the music.

It seems that most of the effect are far from optimal, at least as far as music processing goes (incl. that starfield 9-1 posted above)

This visualizer, as with most all of Jeff's, are more for user interaction. They are not just visualizers that everyone knows from WinAmp, which just flash to music. Holding the B button (I think) will make different effects come up depending on the selected bank, and the d-pad will move things around.

This could help

https://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/images/Manuals/95_Atari_Jaguar_CD_Owners_Manual.pdf

And also :

External input mode (Atari Jaguar CD Virtual Light Machine)

For external input mode, press A, * and # after closing the Jaguar CD lid without a disc inserted.

Spectrum trigger configuration (Atari Jaguar CD Virtual Light Machine)

For spectrum trigger configuration, press *, 0, 1, then 3 at a blank screen in VLM mode.

Configure effects (Atari Jaguar CD Virtual Light Machine)

To configure the effects, first enable the "Spectrum trigger configuration" code by pressing *, 0, 1, then 3 at a blank screen in VLM mode. Then, highlight the first option on the spectrum configuration menu and press Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, then Down. Note: Use the C button to exit menus that have no default exit option.

• Like 2

CD+G are special kinds of audio CDs that include (simple) graphics. They've never been popular outside of Asia.

Not exactly "popular" here in the U.S., but several artists did use them for a handful of years. I have some and they're pretty neat.

What was fairly popular CD+G wise, were the karaoke discs and machines. Looks like they're still being sold today in fact!

• Like 2