IGNORED

School me on flashbacks

Im Atgames biggest critic. Me, of all people gave AFB9 a go today. Happy to report it's surprisingly great. These things have always been what they are best at and they made it better with SD support. Still prefer Atari Flashback 2's controllers to these but hey, if you got em... use em and I do. This years' console is f@##in great.

Almost proud.... Surprise me with better joysticks next.

• Like 5

Point of clarification: Atari Flashback 9 "SD support" = media card for adding new games, not "standard definition" video. They're all HDMI now.

Apparently not so much:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284357-atari-flashback-9-firmware-for-adding-games-to-sd-card/page-4?do=findComment&comment=4166493

So pay attention that there are cheap non-HDMI FB9 (unclear right now if they even run the same emulator SW).

No HDMI:

P1020278.jpg

HDMI:

s-l1600_1.jpg

EDIT: not the same emulator, quoting from another thread

I was not aware that there was a standard def release until just a few days ago. Apparently, a small run was made at the request of retailers. I can't fathom why, but there you have it.

Anyway, based on the menu, it looks like the standard def console is running the same custom AtGames emulator as the handheld does. So it's the same as the past consoles and the handhelds. Only the HD 9 and 9 Gold are running Stella 3.x.

• Like 2

So it's a consolized Atari Flashback Portable, but with rewind and save states?

I would want the one that says BOOM! in grey capital letters.

Yeah, it's just confusing even with the explanation, given people had bought it thinking it was the HDMI.

I know you don't like the bashing but AtGames being AtGames ..... they could have had a better packaging differentiator (say SD version clearly).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Surprisingly I got a FB portable for Christmas.....

Are there any firmware updates for these? I can't find anything on at games website. Mine is the older version, no rewind etc. I already dropped a 512 MB SD card into it and so far so good. :-)

The point of it is for playing games, not for firmware wankery.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/page-1

• Like 2

I'd expect bug fixes at least, the point of every atari console is playing games, doesn't stop me modifying them though. Otherwise my 2600 would still be hooked to a rank arena TV rather than an LCD.

So the answer to my question would be, no. Thanks for the clear link.

• Like 1

I read an Amazon review that said the FB 9 only works with AtGames paddle controllers (not included) and not with original Atari paddles. Is that correct? This sounds like the ultimate Atari emulation box, if it can use original paddles. Oh, and what about other controllers, like the keypad for Star Raiders?

Do AtGames paddles work on original hardware?

The old paddles do. I think that the ones for the Flashback 9 would not — although we won’t know for sure until we have them to test.

It would be good to eventually pull one of the newer ones apart and see what can be done (if anything) to make a universal paddle. (With cost considerations being a very high priority it would be understandable why Atgames wouldn’t bother with this.)

The old paddles do. I think that the ones for the Flashback 9 would not — although we won’t know for sure until we have them to test.

It would be good to eventually pull one of the newer ones apart and see what can be done (if anything) to make a universal paddle. (With cost considerations being a very high priority it would be understandable why Atgames wouldn’t bother with this.)

I have a Flashback 5 that came with AtGames paddles. If I'm understanding you:

Flashback 5 paddles should work with the Flashbacks (from 3-8?) before the Flashback 9 as well as with original hardware.

Original Atari paddles should work with the Flashbacks (from 3-8?) before the Flash back 9 as well as with original hardware (obviously).

There are no paddles that exist that will work with the Flashback 9.

Is that right?

Is that right?

Yes, except for the composite output Flashback 9 because that is really a Flashback portable. The Flashback 9 models that run Stella code need special paddle controllers that aren’t yet available.

So: all earlier Flashbacks (except the original, NES on a chip, kludge) and the Flashback 9 composite output model can use original paddles / paddles that work on the original Atari 2600 — the Flashback 9 HDMI output variants need custom paddles that aren’t yet available.

At least for now. Some retailer might ask for some other variant and Atgames will be happy to confuse the situation for a few dollars, I’m sure. (That’s just the commercial reality — the retailers are Atgames customers, not you or I.)

Yes, the paddles that you got with the Atari Flashback 5 will work with original hardware and other platforms like the Atari 7800 that could take advantage of them. And those paddles as well as original Atari paddles will work with the Atari Flaskback 2-8 line, as well as the standard definition iteration of the Atari Flashback 9 with composite video output.

The high-definition Atari Flashback 9 needs proprietary paddles that as of yet aren't available, with no details available on when they may be made available, what price, or how they'll be distributed. Hopefully they're brought to fruition soon, will be priced well, and be easily available. Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

No, the FB9 has a different ROM pack for it as it comes with a version of the Stella emulator, and thus can play more than the FB portable.

Okay, I'm just finding this thread..... but one quick question: The ROM pack that works on the FB Portable is what can be used on the FB9?

I have the FB Portable, and really enjoy it. Still, would be nice to play those games with an actual joystick. :)