IGNORED

Light sixer - left joystick issue

mksmith

Hi everyone,

Recently picked up an Atari 2600 light sixer. Had a few issues to solve (power jack, reset switch and cleanup of some heavy prior soldering on other switches) but eventually also found a faulty RIOT chip so replaced that and everything was working great. As I was about to finalise my testing the left joystick partially popped out and I pushed it back-in. Now the left joystick (and button) does not respond at all but the right joystick (and button) is totally fine.

I've tested the RIOT and TIA in my Vadar and everything is all good. I also replaced C236 (220pf 50v capacitor) based on some discussion here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269595-right-joystick-port-always-firing-light-sixer/ and still no go. Others have mentioned replacing the 4050 IC (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173081-light-sixer-issues/?p=2146573) but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before I proceed (newish to multimeters thus haven't yet tested things like continuity but there appears to be 5v on some of the pins I did in a quick check).

Kicking myself but I guess it would have happened eventually.

Thanks!

Edited by mksmith

It sounds more like to me that you have a problem with the joystick connector possibly a pin isn't making connection, makes sense seeing as the plug popped out and you had to push it back in something going on with the connection. Do an ohms check from the outside to the inside of the unit on the connector pins you will probably find one open. I would start with pin 8 which is ground so if you don't have that then direction or fire will not work.

• Like 1

Thanks

It sounds more like to me that you have a problem with the joystick connector possibly a pin isn't making connection, makes sense seeing as the plug popped out and you had to push it back in something going on with the connection. Do an ohms check from the outside to the inside of the unit on the connector pins you will probably find one open. I would start with pin 8 which is ground so if you don't have that then direction or fire will not work.

Thanks will check that out!

Hi,

I've done a continuity check on all pins from the connector to the board - everything is still connected correctly, also no bent or misaligned pins. I've also followed each (specified) pin on the board down to the Riot and 4050 [Pin 8] and that gave me continuity. When I do an Oms (resistance??) check it eventually settles down to 000.1 on my multimeter.

Have yet to change-out the 4050 IC. Would any have any further suggestions I could try?

Thanks.

Edited by mksmith

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to spend some time on this. So i've replaced the 4050 with a new one (and socketed it) and still no change.

I've now plugged in an open joystick in and tested continuity directly off the joystick connection pads to the RIOT and 4050.

With the RIOT both the direction pin and direction pressed respond on ground? correctly (pins 8-15).

With the 4050 I did discover that Joy2 responds on pin 7 and pin 8 ground when button pressed whist Joy1 responds on pin 9 but not pin 8 ground here (is that correct??)

Thinking I have a short or faulty capacitor somewhere? l think i'll remove the joystick port and/or start replacing parts.

Update: Finally sorted!

Removed and cleaned Joy 1 pins etc, re-attached and we are now working again!

Hooray! Now onto the next thing of installing the Static Modification Zener Diodes and trying to clean up the output which is has some blueish lines down the screen. Would prefer not to mod this one but one thing at a time!

Thanks for the help above too!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 5:39 PM, mksmith said:

Hi everyone,

Recently picked up an Atari 2600 light sixer. Had a few issues to solve (power jack, reset switch and cleanup of some heavy prior soldering on other switches) but eventually also found a faulty RIOT chip so replaced that and everything was working great. As I was about to finalise my testing the left joystick partially popped out and I pushed it back-in. Now the left joystick (and button) does not respond at all but the right joystick (and button) is totally fine.

I've tested the RIOT and TIA in my Vadar and everything is all good. I also replaced C236 (220pf 50v capacitor) based on some discussion here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269595-right-joystick-port-always-firing-light-sixer/ and still no go. Others have mentioned replacing the 4050 IC (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173081-light-sixer-issues/?p=2146573) but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before I proceed (newish to multimeters thus haven't yet tested things like continuity but there appears to be 5v on some of the pins I did in a quick check).

Kicking myself but I guess it would have happened eventually.

Thanks!

C236 and C237 are not 220pF; they are 22pF

• Like 1