IGNORED

DD sector editor

slx

My son accidentally overwrote his latest Action! program with an empty file. As the remainder should still be there there should be a good chance of recovering most of the data and as it's Action! a truncated file would be mostly useable.

The only DD-able sector editor/utility I found on Atarimania is Disk Scanner - Double Density by Antic Software.

Omnivore is good to get an overview but does not allow looking at individual sectors of an ATR without calculating the offset, V1 shows sector numbers in the directory view only.

Any others recommendations?

DiskRX that comes with SpartaDOS is DD capable as is.

I would try to duplicate the disk first so that other

accidents don't ruin what is there for rebuilding

first, something like copymate using two drives, one

as source and other as destination for the safety

factor again.

Hex editor would work with ATR files on the PC if

this project is being done with an emulator. You

don't say specifically so we can't really answer

adequately at the moment. The DOS being used would

be quite handy information to have here.

Do not do any further writing to that disk and this

should be the first thing done always. Tape over the

write protect notch for example can save the day and

the program on the disk.

• Like 1

Hello 1050

I would try to duplicate the disk first so that other
accidents don't ruin what is there for rebuilding
first, something like copymate using two drives, one
as source and other as destination for the safety
factor again

Or use MyDOS to copy the disk. "J", "1,2/N" ("Duplicate Disk", from "D1:" to "D2:" without formatting the destination disk.). If that doesn't do the trick, try "J", "1,2(1-720)/N" or "1,2/N(1-720)". (It's been a while)

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Thanks for all the hints.

As this happened on an ATR, making a backup copy was easy. As my son was clever enough not to use the ATR after his mishap the new, empty file had only overwritten the first sector of the old file and a quick check with Omnivore confirmed that something looking like his missing program was on the subsequent sectors.

The Antic Disk Utility was useful in tracing the sectors chain after the first one and I simply patched the directory entry to show the correct length and new starting sector. The file loaded nicely in Action! and so I copied everything to a freshly formatted ATR to save myself the work of correcting the VTOC (I probably would have patched it in 1983 to save a valuable floppy but these days it's just too easy to "make" a new one. Maybe we'll be back to preserving floppies once the stocks run out ;))

Watson II.

Couldn't find that on both Atarimania and Google. Is that supposed to be an 8-bit utility or something from the PC?

• Like 2

Thanks, are there any instructions around? I could get a menu with return but am stuck at how to move between sectors and how to display the second half of a DD sector.

OK, so...:

SHIFT + SPACE - go to next window

CONTROL + SPACE - go to previous window

when on sector# xxx - CONTROL + left/right arrow - previous/next, sector, CONTROL + down arrow - next sector of current file (when in FILE mode).

Overall - move through HEX/ASCII/INTERN window with CONTROL+arrows

Oh, and when in mem window - press CONTROL + down arrow to save current sector in memory, and CONTROL + up arrow to restore it from there.

The rest should be self-explanatory :)

Edit: only half of DD sector is displayed, so HEX/ASCII/INTERN window scrolls when you go above 128 byte.

Edited by miker
  • Like 4

Hypra Disk 1.x by Compyshop magazine (author U.Roeder):

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Hypra-Disk#Hypra-Disk

press Control-I for information of all available keys and key-combos

Happy Master 1050+ (B. Kloss):

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Happy-Master%201050%2B#Happy-Master%201050%2B

press the Help key or Control-H for onscreen help

Happy Master Quad+ (B. Kloss):

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Happy-Master%20Quad%2B#Happy-Master%20Quad%2B

press the Help key or control-H for onscreen help

Happy Master was heavily inspired by Dr. XL's disk/sector editor it seems.

Sector Spy (O.Redner):

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Sector%20Spy#Sector%20Spy

press H for onscreen help.

and hundreds of others in Basic, TB XL, CTB, Action! and ML. Use a DOS diskette (or ATR), since these programs try to display the contents of a disksector at startup (and will crash or reboot if you used direct XEX loading under emulation)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 5