IGNORED

Nintendo dashes hopes of an N64 Classic

that doesn't really surprise me- why not go the monetization route if they can make a dollar from it?

"But Fils-Aimé hints that more content will be on the way. “As we look to the future,” he says, “our subscription service, NSO, Nintendo Switch Online is going to be the place where you can play our classic content,”"

Here's another reason: N64 is a biootch to emulate properly. I'm not sure what the current state of it is on PC but it was always a struggle and required reasonably powerful hardware. Not something you can just knock out on the cheap like all the other minis. Could be as well why PS Mini is more pricey and first reports were saying that performance is not all up to scratch.

Here's another reason: N64 is a biootch to emulate properly. I'm not sure what the current state of it is on PC but it was always a struggle and required reasonably powerful hardware. Not something you can just knock out on the cheap like all the other minis. Could be as well why PS Mini is more pricey and first reports were saying that performance is not all up to scratch.

That's probably all true, and there's also the sensitive matter of the N64 controller: That controller is quite bulky, ergonomically strange and prone to breaking compared to the controllers of the Game Cube and other Nintendo systems. But the potential impulse buyers of the N64 Mini would still be disappointed if they didn't include those "signature" controllers in an N64 Mini package. Looking at how some people are cancelling their pre-order of the PlayStation Mini based on the online previews/reviews of that system, I can't fault Nintendo for putting the machine in reverse gear and backing off. The N64 is probably better served on the Switch via emulation anyway.

I guess they're not going to do a Game Boy Mini either, and that one seems more of a head-scratcher to me, since it would surely sell like hotcakes regardless of how well the Switch is selling. Just imagine a small portable with a rechargeable battery, loaded with colorized versions of old Game Boy games like Super Mario Land 1, 2 and 3, Metroid II, Zelda Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Land, the first two Castlevania games, Gargoyle's Quest, the Mega Man series, Operation C, Bionic Commando, The Final Fantasy Legends series, Kirby, Nemesis, Super RC Pro AM, the list goes on. Not sure if they could re-license Tetris, but since it was the Game Boy's pack-in game it would be worth the license. Colorizing all those games would be an involving process for sure, but having them in color would help make new out of old, and it would surely help sales tremendously.

But it's all a moot point since Nintendo probably won't be doing it. :P

Now can Analogue do a consolized GBA, with GB/GBC support, HDMI output and Super-NES controller ports? Pretty please? :D

• Like 2

Others have kinda beaten Nintendo to the punch of well done updates to the system. Check out the Gameboy subreddit for daily photos of that kind of thing.

I feel the need to push back on your wish for a consolized GBA, just in case someone at Nintendo reads this. :lol: The whole point of a GameBoy is to be portable, and making it into a couch thing, well, I don't want that. If you want that, the Analogue Super NT is still available, and you can stick a vintage Super GameBoy in there and it will work fine for GB/GBC. GBA? I dunno, Raspberry Pi or something. :P

Gambatte on a modded RS97 is what I like right now. The monochrome games are super contrasty, easy to see and nice to look at. Colorizing them would ruin the original art style, just as silly as playing portable games on an HDTV. Rather than adding color to all the GB games you cite, wouldn't you rather just play the NES/SNES versions?

Others have kinda beaten Nintendo to the punch of well done updates to the system. Check out the Gameboy subreddit for daily photos of that kind of thing.

I feel the need to push back on your wish for a consolized GBA, just in case someone at Nintendo reads this. :lol: The whole point of a GameBoy is to be portable, and making it into a couch thing, well, I don't want that.

Well, I sure do. After playing GBA games on a Game Boy Player years ago with a Hori controller, I could never go back. It's so much more comfortable on the eyes playing GBA games on a TV with a comfortable controller (no hand cramps!). By the way, I would never expect Nintendo to consolize any of their handhelds.

If you want that, the Analogue Super NT is still available, and you can stick a vintage Super GameBoy in there and it will work fine for GB/GBC.

GB yes, GBC no.

GBA? I dunno, Raspberry Pi or something. :P

I have an NT Mini, and I can play GB/GBC games on my TV right now if I want. I would just like to play GBA games on my HDMI TV without having to resort to using the Game Boy Player. Crispy pixels would be a big plus, so that's why I'm rooting for Analogue to do it, and GB/GBC support would just be gravy.

Gambatte on a modded RS97 is what I like right now.

That RS07 looks cute. I have to wonder if the joystick and buttons are quality parts. :)

The monochrome games are super contrasty, easy to see and nice to look at. Colorizing them would ruin the original art style, just as silly as playing portable games on an HDTV. Rather than adding color to all the GB games you cite, wouldn't you rather just play the NES/SNES versions?

Colorizing is just an idea to spruce up sales. I wouldn't care if Nintendo did a GB Mini and kept all the games monochrome, since it doesn't make the games any less fun to play. :)

• Like 1

I would just like to play GBA games on my HDMI TV without having to resort to using the Game Boy Player. Crispy pixels would be a big plus, so that's why I'm rooting for Analogue to do it, and GB/GBC support would just be gravy.

Compromise: a portable with really nice materials and build quality for me, with onboard microHDMI and bluetooth for you and your TV. Problem solved! Now all that remains is for someone to make it. I agree that it's not coming from Nintendo anytime soon.

The RS97 is like forty bucks and well worth that. It's not perfect but it's pretty good. I like the buttons well enough. All the discussion you can handle at https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/

The N64 is still very possible. Just as a reference, they basically made a similar comment when the NES Classic popped out and people asked for the SNES. You don't want to water down sales or keep any expectations up on a non-existent product when the other is out for sale.

Also, it's very possible to do it. The NES CE a couple years ago was shown using hakchi you could run N64 games at full speed on there using retroarch. There's no reason to think Nintendo couldn't do the same as it's their own hardware.

• Like 1

If you want a Consolized GBA... GameCube+Gameboy Player+HDMI dongle. And done.

No doubt and finally it's out, the Carby https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/carby/ $75, does what the bullshit boutique priced $150 EON GC HDMI and Zeldaxpro $100 dongle do all the same. No reason at all not to upgrade to one of those devices now unless you like a vaseline blurred up gamecube output.

First they'll go the classic portable route. Then they'll double dip on the existing mini consoles. (New games, etc.) Then they'll sell you N64 roms on the Switch. And then finally, when that plan runs out of steam they'll sell you the N64 Mini.

Many of the stores in my area now have plenty of NES and SNES mini consoles, and with the PlayStation Classic seeming so mediocre, I think the whole classic mini console thing might cool off for a while.

Interesting side note, when I placed my pre-order for the PS Classic the store told me they only had 25 orders out of an allotment of 100.

They probably saw how mediocre the PS1 Classic is and decided to step back from an N64 Classic for a little bit.

FWIW, PS1 Classic being ass isn't so much an issue with the specs (IIRC they're just repurposing PS TV tech), but them using a super-old emulator build that isn't optimized for the hardware. If I could get pretty great emulation on games like Tomba! on my Wii, I have a feeling they could've gotten solid emulation in PS1 Classic if they cared.

I am not sure if the mini-system craze is really cooling down or not, but if it is, that'd suck for SEGA if they bring out that MegaDrive mini (and it's actually quality) right as people are cooling down on wanting mini systems. Tho myself personally, am more interested in getting things like the Mega Sg and Super NT as time goes on (itching to see if they're cooking up a PSX Sy or so).

Nintendo did the minis about as right as it gets. The SNES was 100% for me...other than the game selections, but but were great. PS Mini had a lot to live up to and Sony never gave it a chance to be what the Nintendo minis were. Sony botched the games selection...had it not, it would be in the same sold-out scenario as the NES Mini a couple years ago. Sony can blame themselves but chances are they will just let it go away after initial sales fade.