IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 Compatibility List

I don't have flashback 9, but just want to note that Wizard of Wor arcade won't even work in my Stella based android emulator which runs other 32k, dpc+ homebrews just fine...

WOW uses the new CDF bankswitch/coprocessor scheme, not DPC+. I believe Stella needs to be at least version 5.0.2 (August 20, 2017 build), though there was an update to CDF support in Stella 5.1(February 4, 2018 build) that may or may not be required for WOW.

CDF takes what we learned from using DPC+ for a number of projects, and combines it with what we learned trying to get BUS Stuffing to work. CDF has less overhead, so more ROM and RAM is available for the game, while adding new features like digital sample support.

CDF's also used for Super Cobra Arcade, Mappy, and Draconian.

• Like 2

So what does everyone think of their flashback 9's? It's been quiet lately and was wondering if the ROM compatibility is better than the portable?

ROM compatibility is a bit lower than the Portable and the Retron77 for playing classics -

Can't play Kool-Aid man and a few other ROM's that the Portable can play, and it drops frames intermittently.

Still tremendous fun - got a few units for relatives loaded with ROMs :)

• Like 1

ROM compatibility is a bit lower than the Portable and the Retron77 for playing classics -

I'm not touching the R77 at all. That thing is a mess with playing cartridges some times and not others as well as joysticks breaking or not working. No thanks, I'll stick to the flashbacks! :)

• Like 1

There's a few games the FB9 Gold will play that the portable won't:

Beamrider*

Bezerk*

Commando Raid*

Defender 2*

Enduro*

Galaxian

Juno 1st*

Rally X*

Robot Tank

Spy Hunter*

*These games required a hack of the original to work on the portable (1st edition). I have both portable & FB9 Gold and see the compatibility on the FB9 Gold as better than both the portable and that inconsistent R77!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A few questions:

Is the Flashback 9 Gold the same as the hdmi standard Flashback 9? (other than the wireless controllers and 10 extra ganes)

Yes, the Gold works with and comes with wireless controllers and has the 10 extra built-in games. Otherwise, they are the same.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm late to the party, seems like no one seems to be caring about the FB9 at this point. But I got a 9 Gold and it's decent.

I agree the joystick is way too "floaty" and overall, it does feel cheaper made than my FB2 (to no one's surprise). The instructions on pairing the Wireless controller to the system are frankly garbage and complete nonsense - no wonder retailers are getting tons of returns for failure to pair; really short-sighted and frankly, just dumb. Poorly printed (black print on dark grey background lol), and worded badly, in addition to simply being incorrect (steps seem out of order and nonsensical). But I got it figured out after significant trial and error. And at least these don't require a screwdriver to open the battery hatch :P

I like the option of using wired controllers.

Haven't updated the firmware yet (need to get more SD cards). Love having Tutankham built-in. Particularly for a favorite game of mine that the Retron77 will not play. Also am really enjoying Shield Shifter quite a bit. Nearly cracked 150k on my first try with Seaquest while not really trying too hard or being awake, so maybe my early complaints about the controller ought to be discounted.

My brief rudimentary tests on wired controllers:

Sucom Slik Stik and Tac-2 work great, recognized, work well.

European 7800 2-button Gamepad - recognized by the system as a Paddle (???), fire button works, but direction non-functional. Seems to be registering a direction as the chopper in Chopper Command just goes down and to the right constantly, for an example. When you turn it on, the system gives a message about the Paddle controller being connected. Weird.

Track & Field controller - recognized and working...to an extent. If both Run buttons are pressed at the same time it resets to the game menu during T & F :( So you can use just one Run button and the Jump button and this is functional, if far from optimal.

Can't wait to get Frantic and Space Rocks in there, not to mention personal favorites (some homebrew some not) Demon Attack, Cosmic Ark, Subterranea, Crazy Climber, Cakewalk, Vault Assault, Halo, K.O. Cruiser, Seaweed Assault, Rainbow Invaders, Galaxian, Ms Pac-Man, Pac-Man 4k / 8k, Toyshop Trouble, Gangster Alley (which won't play on my Retron though others apparently get it working on that), Robot Tank! :) , 2600 Space Invaders, Empire Strikes Back, ROTJ Death Star Battle, Oystron, Tron: Deadly Discs, Adventures of Tron, No Escape, Dungeon Stalker (Please work!), Fast Eddie, Alien, Jawbreaker and and and and....ok. Getting a bit too excited here. :)

• Like 2

I know I'm late to the party, seems like no one seems to be caring about the FB9 at this point. But I got a 9 Gold and it's decent.

I agree the joystick is way too "floaty" and overall, it does feel cheaper made than my FB2 (to no one's surprise). The instructions on pairing the Wireless controller to the system are frankly garbage and complete nonsense - no wonder retailers are getting tons of returns for failure to pair; really short-sighted and frankly, just dumb. Poorly printed (black print on dark grey background lol), and worded badly, in addition to simply being incorrect (steps seem out of order and nonsensical). But I got it figured out after significant trial and error. And at least these don't require a screwdriver to open the battery hatch :P

I like the option of using wired controllers.

Haven't updated the firmware yet (need to get more SD cards). Love having Tutankham built-in. Particularly for a favorite game of mine that the Retron77 will not play. Also am really enjoying Shield Shifter quite a bit. Nearly cracked 150k on my first try with Seaquest while not really trying too hard or being awake, so maybe my early complaints about the controller ought to be discounted.

My brief rudimentary tests on wired controllers:

Sucom Slik Stik and Tac-2 work great, recognized, work well.

European 7800 2-button Gamepad - recognized by the system as a Paddle (???), fire button works, but direction non-functional. Seems to be registering a direction as the chopper in Chopper Command just goes down and to the right constantly, for an example. When you turn it on, the system gives a message about the Paddle controller being connected. Weird.

Track & Field controller - recognized and working...to an extent. If both Run buttons are pressed at the same time it resets to the game menu during T & F :( So you can use just one Run button and the Jump button and this is functional, if far from optimal.

Can't wait to get Frantic and Space Rocks in there, not to mention personal favorites (some homebrew some not) Demon Attack, Cosmic Ark, Subterranea, Crazy Climber, Cakewalk, Vault Assault, Halo, K.O. Cruiser, Seaweed Assault, Rainbow Invaders, Galaxian, Ms Pac-Man, Pac-Man 4k / 8k, Toyshop Trouble, Gangster Alley (which won't play on my Retron though others apparently get it working on that), Robot Tank! :) , 2600 Space Invaders, Empire Strikes Back, ROTJ Death Star Battle, Oystron, Tron: Deadly Discs, Adventures of Tron, No Escape, Dungeon Stalker (Please work!), Fast Eddie, Alien, Jawbreaker and and and and....ok. Getting a bit too excited here. :)

I believe dungeon stalker is a 7800 game not a 2600 game. Therefore it will not work on the FB9.

• 2 months later...

AR3230 (Canadian-market FB9 with composite RCA output I picked up on eBay as I use an older setup) owner checking in,

No Space Rocks, Chaotic Grill! or Scramble.

All 3 are 32K ROMS I obtained that worked on my old Harmony Encore multicart with the 2600 adapter on my 5200.

Star Castle Arcade does work though

New thread I just put up for all of us AR3230 unit owners: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/292036-atari-fb9-ar3230-canadian-version-w-rca-av-composite-owners-thread/

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1