IGNORED

Xenophobe - Arcade Font

MrFish

Another update patch; this time some sprite edits -- improvements to the protagonists' heads.

The original Atari 8-bit version only uses one "reaction" graphic for the protagonists being harmed, rather than the two that are used in the arcade. They chose to go with the more "stunned" look, whereas there is also an "agony" look when being attacked by the crab xenos in the arcade version. So, I've created two patches, one for each style graphic.

Changes so far:

1. New Hi and Low res fonts

2. Misaligned title-screen P/M fix

3. New character colors

4. Improved character heads

363820554_patch0.3.thumb.png.73e4589ff3190f33a8b392512f87842e.png

224462994_patch0_3a.thumb.png.0346343e8764eacbd48469d650b5ea5f.png

411928692_patch0_3b.thumb.png.fb886461bbc00ce9b8b114a9c386f6c7.png

[Note: Instructions for use included in the zip files.]

Xenophobe - Patch 0.3a (Stunned) [07-27-2020].zip

Xenophobe - Patch 0.3b (Agony) [07-27-2020].zip

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

So, no room in memory for both stunned and agony reactions?

I'm not sure how much ram is available; I know it won't run on an 800/48K. I do know there's room for it in the cart, though. It only takes about 48 bytes to define each head; so we're talking about 96 extra bytes total.

Edited by MrFish
Doubled the bytes, because each head has to face in both directions too.
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, Gunstar said:

Your answer is in the four sentences in the first post. And in the titles of the files.

Actually it wasn't.  But I do see the differences in the screen shots.  Different sprites for the player and aliens.  I like A better.

2 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Oh didn't know what to call them.  The green characters, right?  I clearly see different faces.

Well, they're both alien-looking characters, actually (M. Brace & Mr. Eeez); but you said player and aliens. The two characters that I changed are Player 1 & Player 2 (the protagonists), which are to be controlled by humans and fight against the Xenos (the antagonists).

Edited by MrFish

On 7/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, tjlazer said:

Actually it wasn't.  But I do see the differences in the screen shots.  Different sprites for the player and aliens.  I like A better.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I meant the first post on this page. Not that it matters at anymore.

Edited by Gunstar

• 4 months later...

Very nice hack, the 7800 port is not bad but it's pretty plain graphically speaking.

All the ports are pretty terrible except for the Lynx one, surprised the NES one wasn't better. https://www.mobygames.com/game/xenophobe/screenshots There sure wasn't a great emphasis on approximating the arcade game on any of the platforms. Weird how it turned out poorly from 2600 to 16-bit like Amiga where even the fonts were not replicated. ?

Seen some 2600 hacks but been thinking of doing my own take on Xenophobe 2600, try to get it closer to the arcade even if that means a bigger cart is needed. Definitely think if the Lynx version could be ported to all the other Atari consoles that'd be cool.

• 1 year later...