IGNORED

Xenophobe - Arcade Font

MrFish

Interesting, so if someone finds a prototype suddenly they can sell the rights to game based on the prototype... this sounds like Lance again... It doesn't work this way. Oh and by the way... that wasn't the one and only copy of Xenophobe on disk or cartridge... I am waiting for someone to release theirs. I am not sure of whether it's later or earlier in development or a different attempt all together....

But no, even if someone fixes up some code or changes a few things, the can't say they have the rights to it. I mean how many times has the Brooklyn Bridge been sold in the United States already.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

since you replaced the character set, does it carry over into the info screen for bonus, since that one changes often, or did they hide another set and or use international set area, if thats a no.. then is it really a hard coded graphics display of that text?

I like where you're going with this, just remember at the halfway for player 2 colors and screens

I'm not sure what you're saying on either of these points, Doc.

The bonus screen is using Antic E, just like in the pre-level instructions screenshot I posted.

As far as players, each sprite is using 2 players + 2 missiles and or'ing for the 3rd color.

I was of the opinion pre level instructions did not really change on the prototype, but the bonus had to be able to change.

What I was unsure of is, your modification of the character set with the font... did you look at the whole character set to determine if the game uses both parts, to possibly get a mix of both system font and compufont....

Edited by _The Doctor__

Take a look at how the bonus screen prints out the collected items, the points and totals. I will have to use your patch/hack and see what all it changes. I was of the opinion you just changed the character set with the compufont. but there was more character set to play with.

Just keep doing what your doing...

My concern was about the two separate screens and the fact both players can be on both upper and lower screens at once. But also in totally different rooms on top and bottom with only one player in each.

Why is that a concern? When the players are in the same room, each player is just duplicated in the upper and lower screen. So the data is just copied to each

player in 2 vertical positions of each player's strip. When they're in different rooms, you just have 2 players + 2 missiles for the guy on the top and 2 players and

2 missiles for the guy on the bottom. No sleight of hand necessary in either case.

Edited by MrFish

Take a look at how the bonus screen prints out the collected items, the points and totals. I will have to use your patch/hack and see what all it changes. I was of the opinion you just changed the character set with the compufont. but there was more character set to play with.

Just keep doing what your doing...

It's just a soft font used for displaying text in Antic E. They likely just did it to simplify the display lists, by keeping them constant.

In the 7800 version, they use hi-res for the text in that area (bonus info, and instructions). On the 7800 they don't use a border for

the area, though, which the 8-bit version does. The 8-bit version could use hi-res there too -- and retain the borders, with some

player/missile trickery.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Why don't we all get together, and if we can get 150 of us to donate $10 each, $5 for Video61 and $5 for Fandal, see if we can get it released as a ROM image. It is money for nothing for Video61 and will go some way to repaying Fandal who will probably never recover the full amount of money he paid out. This would need to be with Fandal's, Video61's and the Community's agreement.

Then hack away with it as much as you all like. Trouble is, at the moment, I'm not going to pay $50(?) plus probably (I am guessing) another $30 to be sent from the US to Australia. For that money I'd go out and buy Football Manager 19.

• Like 1

The only person that need be compensated is Fandal... and only because of his desire to bring his copy of the prototype to the community that he did this.

I think if he had asked for a donation or patreon or whatever fund this or that... he would have recouped all his money much sooner.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

Patched and seemed to work ok. Got to playing it and noticed the 0 font in the game screen between levels looks messed up. Was this part of your patch?

Yes, it is part of the hack. I didn't go far enough in testing the patch, otherwise I would have seen that.

The patch needed to start 1 byte sooner. I'll have to take the patch down and post up a new one.

In the mean time, all you have to do to fix the version you patched, is to open up the file and make offset 11CDF = 00

(and same for anyone who used the first patch).

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Why don't we all get together, and if we can get 150 of us to donate $10 each, $5 for Video61 and $5 for Fandal, see if we can get it released as a ROM image. It is money for nothing for Video61 and will go some way to repaying Fandal who will probably never recover the full amount of money he paid out. This would need to be with Fandal's, Video61's and the Community's agreement.

It'd be much easier to just hand Fandal his money and then set the ROM free.

Then hack away with it as much as you all like. Trouble is, at the moment, I'm not going to pay $50(?) plus probably (I am guessing) another $30 to be sent from the US to Australia. For that money I'd go out and buy Football Manager 19.

It goes for $34.95... Euro shipping is another matter...

Either way, no reason I can't hack away like I've already been doing. I just have to check my patches a little more thoroughly next time

before I post.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Thanks for your patch, it makes it look much better!

Actually, I'm kind of wondering if they had plans to modify the font at some point.

As far as I know, they only modified one character, the copyright symbol. That's not

much reason to use a custom font rather than OS ROM font. Using the OS ROM

font, they could just use ( c ) (without the extra spaces; can't type it right here,

otherwise it will substitute a real copyright symbol for the characters) for copyright

and save 1K of RAM for some other use. Hard to say, since it was never released.

Maybe it didn't matter with having so much room in the 128K cart.

Edited by MrFish

Something I noticed on the title screen today when I was

getting the patch ready: there's an odd looking green line

that seems out of place to the right of the monster. I did a

quick check, and saw that this is a P/M underlay. It looks

like someone just got careless positioning this P/M.

post-6369-0-68433800-1542447131_thumb.png

It's a simple fix, as just one byte needs to be changed by -1.

The offending byte is at offset 15C87, with a value of B0.

Change the B0 -> AF and you'll get this...

post-6369-0-22803200-1542447137_thumb.png

• Like 9

Interesting, so if someone finds a prototype suddenly they can sell the rights to game based on the prototype... this sounds like Lance again... It doesn't work this way. Oh and by the way... that wasn't the one and only copy of Xenophobe on disk or cartridge... I am waiting for someone to release theirs. I am not sure of whether it's later or earlier in development or a different attempt all together....

But no, even if someone fixes up some code or changes a few things, the can't say they have the rights to it. I mean how many times has the Brooklyn Bridge been sold in the United States already.

From reading this thread (and IANAL :-), it seems that Video61 is on the hook for copyright infringement, $250,000 for every copy sold. That is, if Bally or Atari wanted to push it.

• Like 1

Adjusted sprite colors, so they stand out on all the different colored elevator stations/levels.

No patch at the moment. I'll post something later, which will integrate all changes so far.

BTW, is 4 the maximum number of elevator stations/levels per base, and are any other

color schemes used besides these shown?

post-6369-0-23430700-1542506070_thumb.png

post-6369-0-99962900-1542506080_thumb.png

post-6369-0-74097000-1542506095_thumb.png

post-6369-0-82428200-1542506100_thumb.png

• Like 4